AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Quietness Rating: Tunze Silence 1073.040 / Vortech M1

Real Name
    Jason

Default Quietness Rating: Tunze Silence 1073.040 / Vortech M1

I need some advice on return pump `quietness`. I have my tank in the master bedroom and I really need to get it as quiet as possible. I use a version of the Herbie method with a Durso standpipe and I get absolutely silent syphon, and I'm really happy with it, the only noise I hear is the return pump.

I have a Resun S-3000 return pump, and truly, it's not that bad, but if I can get quieter I'd like it and I'm prepared to pay for it.

I recently bought a Tunze Silence 1073.040, and I have to say, they're not what they're cracked up to be for `silence`. At 4x the price of my Resun S-3000, it was actually louder, and I would go so far as to say probably close to twice as loud! For a review, I would say, they have pretty much just added longer legs on the suction cups, because that's the only real difference as far as any attempt at `noise reduction` goes, for the pump type. But the truth is that it just makes the pump shake around a whole lot more when connected to your plumbing (even using the recommended soft tube).

I'm looking to replace it with something else, and probably this time I think I'll have to try a different type of pump. I want to know if the DC pumps are as quiet as the advertising says. Specifically I was going to try a Vortech M1. It's over twice the capacity of the other pumps 7500 Lph (the others are 3000 Lph), but I'm thinking if I crack it down to 40% it's not going to be working real hard. It's twice as expensive as the Tunze, and 8x as expensive as the Resun.

Anyone have any experience with these pumps or another really quiet pump?

Real Name
    Jason

Default Re: Quietness Rating: Tunze Silence 1073.040 / Vortech M1

Anyone heard a Vortech M1 working, or heard a DC pump and can compare it to AC? Thanks.

Real Name
    Jason

Default Re: Quietness Rating: Tunze Silence 1073.040 / Vortech M1

In case anybody ever reads this in the future, I highly recommend the Vortech M1 for quietness in the range that I am using it, which is about 2500Lph (about 1/3 of it's capacity), in that range it's one quiet pump. I have more of a review in this thread: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=#post1252216