AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: August total Solar eclipse

Real Name
    Matt

Default August total Solar eclipse

Anyone traveling to see the total solar eclipse in August? Lucky for me I'm in Columbia SC, one of the best places to view it on the line. The house is just a few miles north of the line of totality but I will be traveling to or close to the line to view and photograph it. I should get about 2mins and 37seconds of total eclipse. Locally they are expecting about 1 million people coming into town for this since we are one of the "major" hubs (airport, hotels, metro area, etc) closest to the center line with one of the longest viewing times of the eclipse and possibly the best place on the entire east coast to see it.

I am going to be ordering (or making) solar filters in the next month. Closer it gets to time, the more expensive and hard to find they become. Get your stuff early!!

Anyone else making plans?
    -Matt

Default Re: August total Solar eclipse

My son wants us to plan our summer vacation to include being in the SC at that time. He is a big follower of the outer space events.. He saw the space station for moment the other night and it made his day.. Will we actually be there? Sigh, I don't know, but I will try. Any good camp grounds near you Matt. We picked up a used popup trailer this month and hope to take it south.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Matt

Over the next month or so I plan on scouting some places out. Right now I've got a decent spot in the company office parking lot, quite an open area closer to the line than my house. For this event we don't really have to worry about dark skies! For viewing anyway, and of course if I find it's good enough you and the family are more than welcome to join. If you go traditional tent camping you could stay at Congaree, they don't allow any sort of RV type camping to my knowledge. If you want to stay closer to the coast and more secluded actual camping Francis Marion National Forest is probably worth the look. If looking for something around Columbia, Sesquicentennial State Park could be an option. I'm very close to that. Small little state park, nothing terribly exciting really but is a pine/hardwood forest surrounding a lake. Has some trails and such and allows for RV camping. Tons of places around just outside of the park to eat. I haven't actually been to the park in years though. I drive past it daily and always see people going in and out.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Naz

Best place to see the 2017 eclipse with the path through different states on this website .............................https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com...laces-to-view/

NASA ....................................https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoog...21Tgoogle.html
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks for the links! Check where you are close to people! And remember never look at the sun directly!!
    -Matt

Real Name
    Willie

I have a place in Driggs, ID, which is in the path of the event. We should get about 2 minutes of total eclipse.

The local hotel (there's less than 50 rooms in this town) is charging $4,000/night for the night before and after. We told our friends it's first come/first serve. Now we have people camping in the backyard!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Matt

We are about a month and a few weeks out from the event. I've got my solar filter ready, though I'm thinking maybe I should order a second if I want to use two cameras. Hmmm. Not real sure I need to though, as I can stitch the phases together to make a transition sequence photo. Here is my test today, this is handheld almost straight up at 400mm in the backyard in full sun. This 1dx II is a BEAST! It's a boring photo but the test was successful. Crisp orange sun at max focal length, perfect. Only other thing I am thinking about is a tele extender to get closer.

Sun eclipse test by Matt, on Flickr
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Did some more last minute testing for the Eclipse coming up.

Seems like I caught a sunspot this time. Bottom right corner of the sun. I even cleaned the lens thinking it was dust in between shots. Had to crop this heavy so quality may be so so but its pretty cool. Still pondering getting a tele extender for this event, hmmm.
    Sun spot by Matt, on Flickr
    -Matt

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm about the up coming solar eclipse Matt, and l like that you are preparing for it. Can you please give specific dates when this is due to happen. I Haven't heard anything about it on the other side of the world where l live, and like you would like to try and take photos of it. What would you recommend an amateur like myself, that doesn't have the proper gear, use as a filter? I own a welding mask. Would that do the job or is it to overpowering?
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Here is a good way to check locations. Click on a spot and it shows the data.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages...leMapFull.html

We are going to drive north a ways into Oregon and camp in a remote spot. I still have a big solar filter from when I did astrophotography and that should be come in handy.

Real Name
    Steve

Everywhere in Oregon's path is booked supposedly; motels, campsites, with towns expecting a massive influx of watchers. If anyone happens to be travelling north on I-5 through Oregon and would like to stop by, let me know. I'm in the Medford area.
    Steve
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Steve

I'll risk going a step further. My wife will be out of town anyway. If someone needs a layover Sunday, I might have a room.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    Here is a good way to check locations. Click on a spot and it shows the data.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages...leMapFull.html

We are going to drive north a ways into Oregon and camp in a remote spot. I still have a big solar filter from when I did astrophotography and that should be come in handy.

Thanks Dan...looks like we miss out this time 'Down Under'

Look forward to everyone elses pics
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Steve

A Saturday stop is OK too.

Real Name
    Steve

Sorry to sound desperate, but if anyone is driving through southern Oregon on I-5 and wants to stop for a meal or a beer, I'b be glad to hookup and meet some fellow discus lovers.
    Steve

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast