AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Commercial Breeders

Registered Member

Default Re: Commercial Breeders

I know some of the big farms near me do breed discus. But they only have 3 or 4 strains, usually turqs, pidgeonbloods, and cobalts. And they only do enough to sell to a half dozen or so to big box stores or some LFS's. They have a couple of breeding pairs and do it on the side for when their customers want some on special order. Nothing on the scale of Asia or anything. They have to keep them indoors due to the risk of freezes. Unlike the hundreds of ponds they have stocked full of african cichlids. I've talked to one of the owners, and he said he'd like to do more, but they just don't sell in the numbers that make it profitable for him to set up an entirely separate operation.

I actually don't want to see commercial farms breeding Discus in the USA. Its hard enough for hobbyist to sell their homebred fish and for importers to source quality imports.I think if discus were commercially bred domestically on a large scale it would potentially destroy our hobby here.

Thankfully I don't know if it could happen. I can't see commercial breeders being able to move their discus through petcos and petsmarts. Even if they could breed them in numbers... the stores would kill them,lose money and not buy them.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-25-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I actually don't want to see commercial farms breeding Discus in the USA. Its hard enough for hobbyist to sell their homebred fish and for importers to source quality imports.I think if discus were commercially bred domestically on a large scale it would potentially destroy our hobby here.

Thankfully I don't know if it could happen. I can't see commercial breeders being able to move their discus through petcos and petsmarts. Even if they could breed them in numbers... the stores would kill them,lose money and not buy them.

al

Agree 100%

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

Discus Chill has developed a business model that depends on nitrate reduction, hyper filtration, a great deal of nitrifying bacteria, low pH, low TDS and plenty of Tito's vodka. We manage 40 pairs but are putting a great deal of emphasis on developing crosses that offer a unique looking Discus. Additionally, we artificially rear the fry on a grand scale and tend to move them out at 2.5' to 3", sometimes 4". It's get em in get em out, make em beautiful. So far so good. Initial expenditures were significant, but through inventive automation it takes my wife Kathy to manage the whole operation while I toil away doing my video thing. Oh, and we don't retail, we wholesale, so our shipping costs and labor are nil.
    Last edited by Fishquake; 02-26-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Bill, Im glad Kathy and you are having good success so far with your breeding endeavors. How many gallons of water is your hatchery?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Bill, Im glad Kathy and you are having good success so far with your breeding endeavors. How many gallons of water is your hatchery?

Al
    Al, we have a capacity of approximately 4000 gallons.

Ahh... I remember those days! I do miss having many strains and all that went with it, but I do not miss my water and electric bill! lol. Running 1500 gals here is my max now and when I can I shut down tanks. I definitely enjoyed having more but I find I enjoy having less even more!

Best wishes to your's and Kathy's continued success!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

Our best decision was to heat the room!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345