AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Commercial Breeders

Real Name
    Casey

Default Re: Commercial Breeders

Thanks for the info John. I appreciate it. I know a little about the fish business, admittedly I'm still learning everyday.

I think this whole thing got a little too personal. I didn't intend to offend anyone or give some sort of indication that I was going to become a multi-billionaire by breeding and selling fish. I really appreciate everyone's input and honesty. Especially the people who do this as more than a hobby.

I suppose if I could just find a way to help pay for some of the costs along the way I'd be plenty happy with that. I'll continue building reef systems, selling a fish or two here and there and enjoying my passion for fish. At no point did I want to upset anyone, ruffle any feathers, step on any toes or give any sort of indication that I was going to take over the world via fish!

I admire the people in this industry who are breeding fish, importing fish, keeping fish...etc. It is really an awesome thing to be passionate about. I am excited about the future of fish keeping to see what is to come and am thankful for the current people like John, who make it possible to keep these beauties.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Real Name
    Jörgen

Maybe you can start out by importing fish and let your breeding business run parallell in smaller scale while you get going?

Here in Sweden we have some of the highest costs and taxes in the world and the aquarium hobby is not very big. Yet I know of one pure discus facility (combined import and breeding) and one with discus along with several other fish. As far as I know this is their full time work. But obviously you would have to be driven by interest rather than by expecting huge profit.
    Last edited by LoGeek; 02-09-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Lido View Post
    Thanks for the info John. I appreciate it. I know a little about the fish business, admittedly I'm still learning everyday.

I think this whole thing got a little too personal. I didn't intend to offend anyone or give some sort of indication that I was going to become a multi-billionaire by breeding and selling fish. I really appreciate everyone's input and honesty. Especially the people who do this as more than a hobby.

I suppose if I could just find a way to help pay for some of the costs along the way I'd be plenty happy with that. I'll continue building reef systems, selling a fish or two here and there and enjoying my passion for fish. At no point did I want to upset anyone, ruffle any feathers, step on any toes or give any sort of indication that I was going to take over the world via fish!

I admire the people in this industry who are breeding fish, importing fish, keeping fish...etc. It is really an awesome thing to be passionate about. I am excited about the future of fish keeping to see what is to come and am thankful for the current people like John, who make it possible to keep these beauties.
    I do not believe anyone took your attitude to mean you wanted to become a millionaire breeding discus. People just see a new member thinking that this may be easy money, and the ones chiming in may have learnt the hard way that the money ain't easy with discus lol.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I do not believe anyone took your attitude to mean you wanted to become a millionaire breeding discus. People just see a new member thinking that this may be easy money, and the ones chiming in may have learnt the hard way that the money ain't easy with discus lol.
    Money's not easy with anything!

Real Name
    Casey

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Rick, i've been on this site since 2013. I'm not that new. The question originally posted was more or less just a conversation starter. I don't have the capitol, nor the experience to become the king of discus overnight. I know that comes at a great disappointment to you all. LOL!

Thank you all for the good talk. I hope I didn't give anyone the idea that i thought i was taking over the world.
    Last edited by Lido; 02-09-2017 at 06:11 PM.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Registered Member

My cost for brineshrimp egg run for 8 case one year
    run about 5k. Cost of food free from fish food vendors, I receive auto check deposites monthly from the electric and gas company. Monthly
    production average slightly under 1000 fry.
    Distribution mostly with brokers and wholesaler
    some time sales with LfS but their purchases
    are low and long between each purchase.

Cliff

Real Name
    Casey

Thanks.

I'm sure you've considered this but why don't you culture your own brine shrimp?
    Last edited by Lido; 02-10-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks.

I'm sure you've considered this but why don't you culture your own brine shrimp?
    I still have a day job, so there is not much time
    left in the day except for eating and a little sleep.

Cliff

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

You cannot produce enough of them to be useful. It takes a lot of BBS to raise discus fry.

-john

Thanks.

Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

I knew a guy that was trying to do this in Paterson, NJ but this was before the internet. As stated previously, the cost of the doing this on a big scale is cost prohibitive even I think there are still commercial fish farms in the U.S. I assume the higher cost for heat is probably a deciding factor.

You could drastically reduce heating costs with proper insulation, and radiant heat floors, heated by a high efficiency, hot water boiler.

-Leland

Real Name
    Willie

Cliff has been in the business of breeding and selling discus for three decades. If there's any corners to be cut on savings, he's done it all. He's selling ~1,000 fry a month and still has a day job.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Sticking to the original question about if there are any large scale breeders in the US....Bluelagoon pointed this out but not sure anyone caught it. These guys http://www.discushatchery.com/ are the only folks I've seen that claim to be 100% in-house raised Discus. With that said, their facility is literally 10 minutes from my house and over the last 3 months reaching out 5-6 times I have never once gotten a response back from them. So not sure if their customer service is non-existent or they are not taking any new customers, but I would love to just check out their facility sometime.

^ I don't know that they're selling home bred fish anymore. I thought they were like Wattley's and importing.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreBraap View Post
    Sticking to the original question about if there are any large scale breeders in the US....Bluelagoon pointed this out but not sure anyone caught it. These guys http://www.discushatchery.com/ are the only folks I've seen that claim to be 100% in-house raised Discus. With that said, their facility is literally 10 minutes from my house and over the last 3 months reaching out 5-6 times I have never once gotten a response back from them. So not sure if their customer service is non-existent or they are not taking any new customers, but I would love to just check out their facility sometime.
    Don't confuse people that breed a little and import a lot as a large commercial breeding operation.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast