ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Velvet in Neighboring Tank

Real Name
    Eric

Default Velvet in Neighboring Tank

Hi all. I added 4 dwarf gouramis to my planted tank about a week ago, which sits about 6' from my discus tank. The ended up having velvet. My question is, besides the normal handwashing / cross contamination prevention, should I be doing anything else to prevent my discus tank from becoming infected? Add salt maybe?

By the way, I used PP on the gouramis and they all came out of the 4 hour bath completely free of the gold dusty coating caused by the velvet. I am hoping the rest of the tank won't become effected, so far so good. If anyone has experiences with velvet to share I am all ears!

Thanks!

Real Name
    Casey

Default Re: Velvet in Neighboring Tank

Didn't anyone teach you to quarantine all fish? lol
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by LidoVentura View Post
    Didn't anyone teach you to quarantine all fish? lol
    Lol, what is this quarantine you speak of? never heard it mentioned, haha. Actually, my LFS is usually pretty awesome (Wet Spot), they have an offsite facility where they quarantine everything for a month before moving to their store. No centralized water system either, all standalone tanks. I have never got a sick fish from them (except discus) so I let my guard down.

I do stick to quarantine rules for discus, or any fish > $25

Real Name
    Mervin

I would treat the whole tank.Either with heat,darkness and salt or malachite green and formalin,but hard on plants.

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I would treat the whole tank.Either with heat,darkness and salt or malachite green and formalin,but hard on plants.
    Thanks for the response Mervin. Its been about a week since I got the fish and none of the other fish have begun flashing or have broken out. The gold dust has not yet come back on the PP treated fish. My plan is to keep the tank dark, daily 50% water changes, and keep a close eye on them for a few days. Trying to avoid meds in the main tank as I have lots of nice plants and sensitive fish. If it spreads or comes back on the treated fish I am going to rethink the approach. So far so good.

Real Name
    Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Thanks for the response Mervin. Its been about a week since I got the fish and none of the other fish have begun flashing or have broken out. The gold dust has not yet come back on the PP treated fish. My plan is to keep the tank dark, daily 50% water changes, and keep a close eye on them for a few days. Trying to avoid meds in the main tank as I have lots of nice plants and sensitive fish. If it spreads or comes back on the treated fish I am going to rethink the approach. So far so good.
    I'm glad it's working out. In all of my trolling i totally forgot to offer any advice or wish you luck. It sounds like you have it under control. Keep us updated.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson