AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spawning in tap water

Default Re: Spawning in tap water

methylene blue

Registered Member

Update: I have got 5-10 wigglers, the rest got fungi over, many dark eggs, I guess methylene blue concentration was low.

Registered Member

Why did you add MB so late (12 hrs), usually add MB
    right after spawning. By the time you notice the eggs
    turning black all of the MB should be removed and
    move to clean clear water, this might be one of the problem. Another thing to look for is weak spawning,
    the wrigglers are too weak to even break thru their
    own shell. One problem leads to another weak spawn including wrigglers falling off the
    cone early.

Cliff

What concentration of MB do you suggest?

Registered Member

How hard is moderately hard to you? Most breeder use a tds ppm of 50-80 but my tap is only 135-145ppm tds

Real Name
    Rick Mileski

Update: I have got 5-10 wigglers, the rest got fungi over, many dark eggs, I guess methylene blue concentration was low.
    Your Welcome Albanets.

Oh, never mind, you didn't say thank you.

Rick Mileski Sr.

Registered Member

Thank you Rick! better later than never

Real Name
    Rick Mileski

Thank you Rick! better later than never
    I was just joking, let me know if there is anything else I can help you
    with.

Rick Mileski Sr.

Silver Member

Yep. Eggs in the community tank. Maybe a couple wigglers? Good. Then you know. But even if no wigglers, it's worth switching to an isolation breeder tank with half RO.

Worked for me.

The conventional wisdom is that hard water makes it hard for the spermatozoa to penetrate the ova. That comports with my experience of 20 years.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

I've managed to successfully get my pair raised a fry on tap water on a 29 gal tank for the first time ever.
    My PH is around 7.2 - 7.8 Temp 86F and when I used the API GH/KH test I needed more than 10 drops for it to change color so I kinda just gave up on it
    What I've tried and failed:
    - Using 50% DI water
    - Caging the eggs
    - Changing water prior to egg laying
    - Using MB

On Feb 1st they decided to lay eggs on the water that I haven't changed in 3 days, sides of tank we're slightly algae covered
    prior to them laying eggs I then forgot to move my corner filter back to each side on the long side so they were both on the short sides of the tank
    and the tubing on the air pumps were apparently loose so its barely making any bubbles...one side of the tank has somewhat of water movement and the other side where the cone was has minimal to no water movement.
    All these were due to the hustle and bustle from the Ms. being 8 months pregnant between doing house chores/work/dr appt

2 days after eggs were laid I get to change 50% of their water (so 5 days no WC)
    for whatever magical reason after about 40x spawning failure, the eggs gotten to the wriggler stage - free swimmer - attached to mom n dad without issues.

Here's a link to what it looks like (notice there's no filter on the right side of tank) hopefully the link works
    https://goo.gl/photos/zDJgiYuEu5qRpSdAA

Now they're the size of quarters and there are about 50 of them and I'm not even sure what to do with them all....my 2 weeks old baby is keeping very busy xD
    20170314_092653.jpg

Hope this helps. It's worth a try

Registered Member

I have the same TDS from my tap water around 25-30. Do I still need the r/o or I can go for water change only?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Quote Originally Posted by rickmiles View Post
    You must of read the books, turn the books upside down and open your closed mind and try it. You just might learn something new.

Well its like I said in my post about all the nay sayers " I know what all the books say and most discus people on this forum say about this subject." Read my post again because you don't get it.

I'd be happy to discuss this on the phone in detail call me at 925-978-0880 I'm there 11:AM to 5:PM or you can email me at rick@fintastikantioch.com

Or you can come on down and I'll show you how I do it and other Discus stuff you may not know about, coffee is free, but bring your own surger.

Rick Mileski Sr.
    Coffee and Discus talk, i'll take you up on your offer Rick. lol. Your one heck of a nice fella Rick where are you located?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Quote Originally Posted by rickmiles View Post
    Your Welcome Albanets.

Oh, never mind, you didn't say thank you.

Rick Mileski Sr.
    lol lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard Hao

Same scenario with my pair, eggs turn white next day. What should i test my water for, kh or gh? Ive ordered a tds meter so i can test my water

Real Name
    Rick Mileski

richard hao
    Same scenario with my pair, eggs turn white next day. What should i test my water for, kh or gh? Ive ordered a tds meter so i can test my water
    I only test my breeders water with a tds meter and keep it around 75 for a good hatch rate and at times I've had it a lot lower with no problem. I never ever test my pH no need to. I used to measure my pH when I started in the 70's when I read all those books about raising and breeding discus. Many people still do it like the book says for years and years and it works, the problem is they still think there way is the only way because that's what the books say.

Rick Mileski Sr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast