ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first tank after many years

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Carole

Default My first tank after many years

image.jpg well I did it. I got my first tank up and running. The problem is I don't know what I have Please don't laugh at my collection...Hahahaha I know they are not show quality, and I even have a rescue runt! Three were purchased from LFS friend of mine, and 4 came from a local fish breeder. If anyone out there can tell me what the heck I have it would be greatly appreciated image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Casey

Default Re: My first tank after many years

Hello

They look very young. Young discus don't show their full colors for a while. The discus you purchased seem to be of fairly good quality. They are a little skinny but all in all look good. It seems you have either kept discus before or have done some reading which is good. You should go to the discus for beginners section and watch the video on keeping discus just as a refresher. Some things have changed in the last 10 years or so.

As to the fish

Your tank looks very clean and well prepared for discus. Keep up on those water changes and they'll grow up for you quite quickly. It looks like you may have a "Snow White" discus in there. Which is an all white discus. Some of the others are very hard to tell by the pictures. If you see them showing more pattern once they've acclimated post those pics. I'm sure people can help
    Last edited by Lido; 02-11-2017 at 08:05 AM.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Registered Member

That bamboo in the tank fully submersed, I would keep an eye on it, might start to rot.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Carole

Quote Originally Posted by Lido View Post
    Hello

They look very young. Young discus don't show their full colors for a while. The discus you purchased seem to be of fairly good quality. They are a little skinny but all in all look good. It seems you have either kept discus before or have done some reading which is good. You should go to the discus for beginners section and watch the video on keeping discus just as a refresher. Some things have changed in the last 10 years or so.

As to the fish

Your tank looks very clean and well prepared for discus. Keep up on those water changes and they'll grow up for you quite quickly. It looks like you may have a "Snow White" discus in there. Which is an all white discus. Some of the others are very hard to tell by the pictures. If you see them showing more pattern once they've acclimated post those pics. I'm sure people can help
    Thank you,😊 I did many years back, with my ex who was a Dr. And also had a degree in marine biology. It was his hobby, and he taught me. This tank I have them in is not there permanent home, I have a 95gal. tank there going into, but it is being cycled and a new sump refugium is being built for the new tank. The babies are being treated in this tank with Flubendazole10% due to one of the yellowish was not eating well and had the classic white stool. It will be three days tomorrow for them, and all is going well, I will be doing a water change and 2nd dose of medication tomorrow, and take water readings. Hope to get a stool sample from that one fish and see what is going on under a scope. I tried today to catch a stool sample but was not fast enough😁 So far they are being fed 3 times a day min. with frozen beef heart, and bloodworms, and a round of discus pellets. Water readings are all in the normal range, and temp is at 86. As for the plants... I'm not a fan of planted for them, but I do have a planted guppie tank and also another tank I keep only for the discus that has bamboo and other plants that I can rotate out every other day, or more if needed. They were chasing each other to much, so I put these in to give them a few places to claim some territory for now. I will keep up my posts on this new venture and look forward to learning all I can 😅

Real Name
    Naz

Hi Carole, Welcome to SimplyDiscus.The fish you have have different names depending upon the breeder.When I got mine my which look as similar to yours some folks called it "White Butterflies" and some "Snow White" One breeder called it "White Ghost" and the list goes on. One thing I would like to mention is Do not move any plants or decorations from one Discus tank to another to avoid chances of cross contamination
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Willie

The middle fish in the top picture is typically referred to as a "Snow White". The ones in the subsequent picture look like cobalt discus that are faded out because the tank has no backing.

Keep up with the water changes and beef heart and they should grow well. I wouldn't put them into a 95 gal tank until they get some size on them.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Carole

Hi �� Yes, I did a lot of reading from other posts about cross contamination, so the discus have there own 20 gal tank that I have plants to rotate out so they don't pick up anything

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Carole

I took the whites background off and put a black temp. Background so the color would show better. Sure hope the pictures come out better
    Here they are before I feed and clean the tank a little to get ready for 2nd round of medication. This tank is only a 40 gal. Willie said it may not be a good idea to put them in the 95gal. Yet and would like to know about what size it would be OK to move them? image.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by cfhawaii50mom; 02-12-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Carole

Attachment 106965Attachment 106965Attachment 106966
    I'm really bad at taking pictures of these guysAttachment 106967
    I keep getting a background glare. And on the far right rear you can see the huge thermometer my husband had given me to put in the tank, because out of 9 or so thermometers tested, he only found one.....my internal digital, that was accurate to less than one degree....so he tested one from his shop (commercial refrigeration contractor) and said use this !!! Hahaha so for now, that is the 2nd temp reader in there... So far both are almost spot on for me. Just wanted to explain that huge thing in the tank, hahaha

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

You can better shots at night with all the lights off in the room except for the tank light, and dont use a flash. You have a very clean set up. Good luck with their progress
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

Hi Carole
    Your Discus look very healthy. Talking about LFS is
    there Modern Pets? At one time there was
    Hawaii Discus Society with a fair amount of members. I would also send over 5 to 7 hundred
    Discus to this guy that lives around the Kaimuki Area.

Aloha,
    Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Carole

Hi cliff, many years back I met a man who had discus in kiamuki, but it's been so long I forgot his name. I doubt he is still raising them, I got my three from ewa beach any pet depot. I've become friends with the owner, and she does not bring in discus she just by chance had these guys and I thought what the heck, so I got them. I could tell they were a little young to be at a FS....but I don't know who she got them from. They are a mostly salt water fish store, with dogs and birds. That's how I ended up with a runt....felt so sorry for the darn guy...or girl. After that I met a man from a friend in Waipahu who had the solid whitish yellow ones and got those, but I'm still not sure what I have in my tank. Here is a picture of them chasing some brine flakes I just put in...Attachment 106985 yeah, it does look better....I'm starting to see the one yellowish fish starting to get food! Today I did the 3rd day water change and second dose of flubendazole. I haven't found any white stool in the tank yet, only dark colors....so hopefully this is working. I'm wondering now if it's to early to put them in the 95 gal. Tank....I feel like this tank is getting to small for them. Any thoughts on what size I should wait for before putting them in? There in a 40 gal. Now...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Carole

Registered Member

Hi Carole
    The person that you got Discus from many years ago
    in the Kaimuki Area could of been Fred (Discus Study
    Group Chairperson) Frank was owner of a restaurant
    where Big City Dinner is now or Dennis of 3DDiscus ,
    all are retire now. By the way are there any LFS that have any Discus currently, I am planning a Hawaii trip
    soon. On my last trip I visited Enchanted Lake, Pet land was gone at AlaMona and the shop at Kahala.

Cliff

Real Name
    Rick

These discus look like they are the offspring of a snow leopard pairing. Such a pairing will give you some snow whites, some red whites, and some snow leopards. they will however not give you any White butterfly's and there is no relation between a snow white and a white butterfly.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast