ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Big Disco's in the 92g can't find food?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default Big Disco's in the 92g can't find food?

Heya friends,

So my big Red Pandas (5"-6") are now in my established 92 gallon corner. They are super happy I think... They frolic and chase each other all over the tank with their fins stretched super wide. They are magnificent -- but -- they don't seem to be eating. I've heard tank moves cause hunger strikes and this is only day 3 but they actually seem to be hungry. They come to the top when I approach for example. Now I'm not dropping BH in there as there is a canister filter and a very little bit of sand on the bottom. They don't seem to be able to catch flakes or pellets, they drift past them it seems. It's like their food radar is lazy and they can't 'home in' on the falling food. Advice?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Big Disco's in the 92g can't find food?

Turn off the filters during feeding. Turn back on after you siphon and 15 minutes later

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Willie

I find that the bigger the fish, the longer it takes for them to resume feeding. 2" discus seem to eat within 24 hours. Some 5" fish I got recently from Kenny took 4 - 6 days to resume eating. I remember one of Hans' slabs that took 3 weeks to start eating. It can be nerve racking, but healthy fish will eventually eat.

Look forward to seeing the pictures, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Good stuff! I turned off the Hydor and sprinkled some flake. After about a minute of curious fly by's the alpha nabbed a mouthful of flake! Score! The others are still on strike but good progress! Thanks much for the advice and wisdom.