AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Amazon Sword

Default Amazon Sword

I bought one 9 years ago for my display tank at the shop. It has become a monster. It looks like it is actually 2 plants if I look at the base. I've heard that these don't move well but I know nothing about plants. I'm a BB type of woman. If I split it in half will the half I take out live so I can give it to my LFS or am I better off just cutting of that half of the plant and tossing it.

I need to do something. The tank it's in is a 125 but the plant takes up a good 1/3 of the tank. I planted it 9 years ago in well rotted goat poo covered with gravel.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Amazon Sword

Is it in some kind of soil? Amazons have a crazy root system.when you uproot it, there will be a mess. Try turning filters way up to get rid of the gunk.you can split it in half no problem

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Naz

Does the plant have runners?
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

It's in rotted goat poo topped with gravel, Ricardo.

Naz, it's shooting out baby plants left and right. Can you tell me how to pot the babies to take to the LFS?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It's in rotted goat poo topped with gravel, Ricardo.

Naz, it's shooting out baby plants left and right. Can you tell me how to pot the babies to take to the LFS?
    How to propagate Amazon Sword (with pics)...................http://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfish...th-pics.74029/
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    How to propagate Amazon Sword (with pics)...................http://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfish...th-pics.74029/
    Thank you.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Filip

Liz , I wouldn't try to cut the rizhome type of plants in half for a progression and dividing purposes.
    Even if you get away with it the plant will be severely harmed .
    This type of plant divide through runners they shoot around the mother plant , so you can cut runners and replant once they reach 1/4 of the mother plants size .

If the Sword is too big for your tank I would just cut the half of the leaves with scissors down the base of the plant and get the desired haircut .
    HTH , Liz and enjoy the hairstyling ;-).

BTW . I'm curious . Do you keep discus in this goat poop bottom tanks ? Arent ammonia , nitrite and phosphate levels screaming from the poop leaching organics in to the water column ?
    Last edited by Filip; 02-19-2017 at 09:56 AM.

No. No Discus in that tank. Goat poop was over 5 years old when I put it in. The tank has been running for 9 years. I tested the water for ammonia before I added fish. It was 0. I added a ton of baby angels to grow out and had no problems with them.
    Mama Bear

A friend on mine gave me a very large amazon sword last year that he had for years, it thrived in his tank and was beautiful. However I did all I could but it never really adapted to my tank. I was so disappointed, because it looked so nice until is started to decline.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Navarro A. E.

Liz try asking on the planted tank forum if you haven't cut that Amazon yet. I would love to see a picture of it in your tank if you have it.

I got rid of over half of it by cutting it off at the base. It had spawned a baby that had grown to adult size that didn't yet have a huge root system. I was able to pull it. The tank looks much better now.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Navarro A. E.

Did you mix the goat poo with soil ? I'd like to try that with my swords .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    A friend on mine gave me a very large amazon sword last year that he had for years, it thrived in his tank and was beautiful. However I did all I could but it never really adapted to my tank. I was so disappointed, because it looked so nice until is started to decline.
    Many times the die back before they take off again. Sounds like that was not the case in your situation.