ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hi folks...Intro from frozen Manitoba

Registered Member

Default Hi folks...Intro from frozen Manitoba

Hi folks, just making my first post on the forum to make my membership official - I've been lurking for quite a while.

My 10 year old and I keep a 1 year old 200 gallon community tank and recently started keeping Discus. We currently have 3 Discus named, Brainy, Blue, and "the other one"

I used (and still have) 9 tetras and 6 orange fish of which we are unsure of the species to cycle the tank and help my daughter learn to work on the tank. We added 3 tiny discus, one ugly yello pleco and 10 clown loaches about 4 months ago. The discus have doubled in size and continue to grow.

We live out in the country and have well water with a softener and iron remover and so we use RO/DI water. We do 40 to 50 gallon water changes per week and I gravel vac once every 2 weeks PH is usually at around 6.4-6.6 Ammonia is always less than .02ppm Water hardness is never more than 125ppm. We have 2 fluval 406 canister filters and we clean them once a year. I stopped testing beyond the aforementioned it is appears that with our current tank maintenance regimen we were simply wasting money on test kits.

Currently our fishes eat frozen blood worms, I also use the new life spectrum discus formulated food - funny thing is the loaches like it better than worms so they usually eat the pellets.

After a few months the discus have definitely learned that we are the feeders and they'll play follow the finger and "hey you feed me" at the glass when we enter the library where the fish live.

You can follow me on twitter where I often live stream the daily feeding frenzy @MBMudchucker

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Hi folks...Intro from frozen Manitoba

Hi MB. Welcome to SimplyDiscus and thanks for the intro. Hope you get a lot out of the forum. We always like pics if you'd care to post!
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.