ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Simple Sump Setup Advice

Default Re: Simple Sump Setup Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Thanks Ryan. My current eshopps has only one u tube, so I am going to try adding another, in addition to raising the standpipe. Knowing myself though, ill be upgrading to a larger eshopps at some point in the near future. It would be great to have the option of fully firing up these great return pumps.
    I also considered just drilling a hole up high somewhere for an emergency drain since its just plastic

Upgrade I can see happening. It would be nice just to have the option of way more flow than you actually need. Then you can have a lot of room for customization

Glad to hear that you like the pump though. I've done a lot of reading but nice to have some first hand experience

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    So, I ordered an overflow box and will be creating my first sump setup, so I am all ears for any advice or experiences!

I plan on using my two canister filters to return the water from the sump to my 120. I plan on getting a 29 gallon as the sump. The purpose is mainly cosmetic, to get all equipment out of the tank, but I am up for som DIY to get some extra filtration out of the effort.

I am thinking about keeping it simple and just using one sheet of 2" poret foam, but I am open to all guidance or critiques.

One question.. If I move my airstones to the sump, will that be enough aeration?

Thanks in advance!
    i haven't used airstones for aeration (outside of medication in q tank) since the 80's....

Registered Member

Use sump with return pump and let that canister collect dust, sorry I'm kinda snobby about sumps once you use a sump you will never ever want another canister filter

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by fishermn7 View Post
    Use sump with return pump and let that canister collect dust, sorry I'm kinda snobby about sumps once you use a sump you will never ever want another canister filter
    Different strokes for different folks Isn't that one of the best parts about the hobby, figuring out ways to accomplish your goals? I consider my sump w/ canister experiment a success (apart from the silicone disaster), the canisters are working great in line. They restart without having to worry about a siphon. I am getting new fish from Kenny today (yay!) and I just pulled off one of the canisters, and boom, a fully cycled QT tank. I use two large canisters that add an addition 5-7 gallons of additional water capacity, and a huge amount of space for filter media, which is going to come in handy once I add my new fish to the display tank and up the bioload.

Thanks for the input

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I would like to say to anyone not willing to drill their tank and want an sump, get an LifeReef.com prefilter. Mine been running about three years now and no problem! I turn my return pump off at least 2 x daily for feeding, gone away for an week, no problem of restarting. This thing is the bomb and highly recommend it for peace of mind of not flooding. Also get the silencer for it. https://youtu.be/-OjYwLnx7Is

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123