ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Need help with strain

Registered Member

Default Need help with strain

Hi there.
    I have a mixed group of wilds from Brazil. Can anyone help me with what strain they are? I know nothing of wilds and would like to learn. Any input is greatly apriciated =)

IMG_0004_.jpgIMG_0019_ copy.jpgIMG_0021_ copy.jpgIMG_0022_ copy.jpgIMG_0026_ copy.jpgIMG_0028_ copy.jpgIMG_0032_ copy.jpgIMG_0034_ copy.jpgIMG_0037_ copy.jpgIMG_0040 copy.jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Need help with strain

No one? Have I posted it wrong? Is the pictures to bad? I know the colors are off the charts. I got some used lamps for the tank. Have ordered new tubes for them so the light will be more natural.

Real Name
    Mervin

Are they a mixed group of wild and domestics?

Real Name
    Jacklyn

OP I am by no means an expert, but I do not see true wilds here. I see wild crosses. I see wilds crossed with blue and red turquoise domestic discus actually.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

There are two domestics in the group. The red panda you see in picture 2, 3 and 8. And a Leopard snakeskin you see the bottom of in picture 6.
    The rest was atleast sold to me as true wilds caught in brazil 5 years ago. It does not matter that much to me, but i feel alittle cheated if these are f1 crosses... What about them makes you think they are crosses? Just so I know what to look for?
    I will get new pictures and a movie up when I get better lights. Now I have a mix of grow-lux purple/pink and blue lights on the tank. They do not display correct colors at all. And it is worse on pictures than in real life.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

too much patterning and striation in them to be true wilds in my opinion. "caught in brazil 5 years ago" also sounds suspicious, I mean where have these been for 5 years? discus have to be a certain size to be caught, and that size plus five years would lend you some older looking fish than what you have. to be honest they do not even look like F1 wild crosses. maybe more like an F3. maybe the seller meant that the original parents were caught in brazil 5 years ago???
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

I bought them from a private seller that have had them for 5 years. He went to brazil on a catch trip. Then got shipped discus later. I managed to buy t5 instead of t8 light tubes so new pictures will have to wait.
    But lets say they are f3 then. What would your guess on the original wild parrents? Blue?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

These are young fish with designer features. Their stripes indicate some wild heritage but a distant one based on these patterns and colors. Their bars are thick and dark, they may be stressed. Eyes are on the large side as well. Fish that look like this aren't hoisted out of the amazon; they are bred.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar View Post
    I bought them from a private seller that have had them for 5 years. He went to brazil on a catch trip. Then got shipped discus later. I managed to buy t5 instead of t8 light tubes so new pictures will have to wait.
    But lets say they are f3 then. What would your guess on the original wild parrents? Blue?
    I would guess that the wild gene is several generations out. possibly a wild green tefe or a wild brown based fish, maybe a wild royal. but it has been mixed with several generations of blue and red turquoise. all mutts basically, but still beautiful fish. they do seem stressed though, showing lots of dark heavy bar. last picture is your best fish IMO.
    ~JACKLYN~