ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing anything wrong?

Registered Member

Default Am I doing anything wrong?

Hi All,

I recently bought 6 discus (about 12 days ago).
    They are about 9months old.
    I have a 50gal tank, with 2 external filters.
    I have been doing so much research here before i started with my discus tank, but still things don't seem to be going as smoothly as it should.

My tank is bare bottom, temperature is at 28.5 degrees celcius (about 83f), the ph is about 8.2
    I do 90% water change daily, with water straight from the tap (I add seachem prime for each water change). I have measured the ph from my tank water (ph8.2) and the water from the tap (ph8.4).
    I have fully cycled my tank (for about 3months since I was waiting for some decent discus to be available)

My discus, the first week seem to be coming out quite often.
    Although only 2 or 3 of them were eating (i feed them tetra colorbits, beefheart mix, freeze dried bloodworms)
    They were quite timid and skittish, but it was the first few days so I thought it was normal.
    But as time goes on, they seem to get worst. Come out less, and when they do come out they are even more scared than before.
    Any little movement they would panick and dash around (sometimes hitting the glass).
    For example, yesterday, I went to feed them the beefheart mix, and i accidentally dropped the food in the water (from like 1cm above the water - hardly made a noise) and they went nuts!

Sometimes when I walk near the tank even really slowly, they would just go nuts again (but sometimes when they see me they would come asking for food). Although the last couple of days they just hide.

Whenever they get scared, they usually hide for like 3-4hrs then slowly come back out.
    I'm finding it quite hard to try and feed them, whenever they get scared I have to wait hours before I can attempt to feed them again.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, I even turn off my filters when I feed them the beefheart to keep it clean. and I siphon the beefheart back out after 20mins if they do not eat it.
    Are they still just adjusting?
    Sorry but i'm still new to this, so just want everything to run smoothly.

Thanks

Real Name
    Jörgen

Default Re: Am I doing anything wrong?

Did you start with clean filters when you cycled them? Not full of old gunk?

Where is the tank located? Any bright light from windows towards the tank?

Real Name
    Mervin

Is the tank bare bottom and not painted?Maybe reflections.

Registered Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply.
    The tank is located in the lounge, but there's not too much traffic.
    I have cleared my filters recently, and there didn't seem like there was much waste in it at all (i used my aquarium water to wash the filter to not kill the bacteria)
    There is a large window where sun comes in during the day, perhaps this might be the reason? (although even during night time they still get scared quite easily)

The tank is barebottom and not painted. I just put a piece of paper under it. it's light grey in colour.
    I use blue paper around both sides and back of the tank.

I had an internal UV filter in the tank before, which they kept hiding behind.
    After last nights water change, I took this out.
    Today they came out swimming (just when I was about to go to work) which is a good sign.
    Is it good to take out the filter so they can't hide behind it? Hope it doesn't stress them out more.

Real Name
    Willie

I put 3 X 5" discus into a 30 gal quarantine tank about 10 days ago. It's bare except for a big sponge filter. They hid for a week and only just started coming out. One is still hiding. These are big fish. I would expect smaller ones to be even more timid.

With 90% daily water changes, you probably don't need a UV filter in the tank. In my experience, the more places to hide makes the fish want to hide more. If there's no place to hide, they get use to it faster. But I don't think you need to change anything. They'll come out pretty soon. Pretty soon, they'll learn to associate you with the food. Then you'll be greeted eagerly.

Have fun, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Hi Willie,

Thanks for your advice.
    I went home at lunch time to feed them, and 4 of them were eating which was good
    After they finished eating, I went to turn the lights on in the tank (i use very dim lights) and they got frightened again.
    At least they ate first lol.
    I figured they would get frightened when I turned on the lights, but I am hoping that by the time I get home (in about 3hours) they would be coming out swimming again so I can feed them again.

The good news is since I took out that UV filter so they can't hide behind it, they seem to come out more.
    Lets see how they progress in the next couple of days and report back here.

Registered Member

ok the discus are still hiding after i turned on the lights.
    It's been like 6hours.
    The lights are actually very dim.
    Is there a certain type of light that discus do not like?
    or do they just need time to adjust?

Real Name
    Naz

It takes time to adjust,hopefully they soon get over the shyness.I make sure that there is no light hitting their tank from the side.. they don't like shadows being cast on them. I have found lighting is very key in making them comfortable.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Hi Akili,
    I have covered all 3 sides of the tank to help them settle down.
    They seem to do quite good when the lights are off and just the natural sunlight coming through.
    I fed them today and I think 5 or all 6 are eating (I have to stand away a bit to not scare them when they eat so can't see that well).
    When I turn on the lights they hide for ages! (Yesterday was a good 6hrs before they started coming out for food again).
    I mean I already set the lights to super low... so maybe they just have to get use to it.
    I can see their still adapting to their tank cause they school together really tightly... which is a good sign I guess.

Should I continue to turn my lights on everyday so they get use to it? Or should I leave them off for a few days/weeks until they are fully settled in?
    The only thing is, if I don't turn the lights on, by the time I get home from work their already sleeping and I can't enjoy them / feed them / have to wake them up to change the water.

Sorry for all the questions etc. Just want to get everything right

I'd say just be patient and let them adjust. They will come around. Mine were very skittish for a bit after getting them. Mine are in a very high traffic area in the kitchen. Now my 5 year old sprints by and the don't flinch.

I do have a south facing window directly across from the tank. I do notice if it's open and I walk between the tank and window the shadow sometimes will spook them.

They should get used to your lights. Mine were under very bright light for some time. As of light I've really toned down my leds for a more natural look but the high light never bothered them

Real Name
    Filip

I had similar problems with my 7 -4.5 inch discus batch discus the first 2-3 weeks when I bought them . I was feeding them throwing food 3 feet away from the tank , cause if I stood in front of the tank they would hide and not eat .They were most active when there was zero activity in the room and when the lights were off , during daytime .
    I guess its only an environment adjustment issue in your case . Maybe your PH /KH/TDS level greatly differs from what they are used to and that needs some time too.
    Watch out for the 90% straight tap Wcs too. They cah be harsh on discus if they have microbubbles , PH Swings or are not sufficiently dechlorinated.
    Good luck BGK.

Registered Member

Just an update,
    They all seem to be eating now.
    When the lights are off and it's just the sunlight they are very active.
    When I turn on the lights, they just hide, but if i feed them they will come out and eat.
    Guess that's all that matters.
    Hopefully they will be more confident soon even when i lights are on.

Real Name
    Filip

Great news BKG2 .
    Don't worry about the lights They'll get use to it too just needs some more time to adjust .

They are most oftenly born and raised in a poor/dull lited breeder tanks and this is a big change in light for them .
    Just imagine miners coming out to sunshine after 10 hours of work in a mine

Registered Member

I've had my wild discus since last May and they are just now getting to the point where I can enjoy them. That is nine months. I too had a post asking what to do about skittishness. They would hide all day behind driftwood. It took a while, that is for sure. Try to avoid sudden movements in front of the tank and be consistent in your maintenance procedures. They will eventually get conditioned. Some take longer than others I guess.

Registered Member

Thanks for all the help guys.
    I noticed that they are starting to have mini fights / sorting out the pecking order now. I'm assuming this is a good thing as they feel more comfortable in the tank.
    Also, although they still get spooked at times, they come back out a lot quicker after getting spooked.
    I'll try and get some photos of them soon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast