AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus not eating, white poo

Registered Member

Default Discus not eating, white poo

I was thinking of adding salt to the aquarium, is this a good idea? If not how do i fix and treat this problem?

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I added 6 discus to the tank after cycling, 3 discus have been doing great, the other 3 have not eaten in over a week and i have noticed stringy white poo floating around.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

White poo, not eating

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55 gal, 6 discus, roughly 4"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% per day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Running 10 weeks, substrate that is less than an inch thick. No decorations or anything else

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Age for 24 hours, ph swing of 0.4 up, test both ph of tank and barrell everytime before adding new water and they are identical

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 30 degrees celcius

- ph 7.5-7.6

- ammonia reading 0-0.25

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 0-5ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water - the 100% dechlorinated aged tap water

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

6 fish added simultaneously, straight after cycle, no fish in previously

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

I am feeding them pellets and fdbw at the moment, have a bh mix that i am going to start feeding

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

None

Default Re: Discus not eating, white poo

Hi Brandon,
    How long have you had the fish? Are their any other tank mates? Can you post some pics please.
    Thanks,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Brandon,
    How long have you had the fish? Are their any other tank mates? Can you post some pics please.
    Thanks,
    Al
    Hi Al, thanks for the reply. I have had the fish for 9 days. They look okay, a little bit shy but mostly swimming together. Its is only the lighter coloured ones that arent eating which may just be coincidence but who knows. As i never really gave it much thought i wasnt able to get a photo of the poo sorry. It is white in colour almost translucent and varies in thickness along the strand almost like thicker pieces and then thinner and then tappers off. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brandonmoss View Post
    Hi Al, thanks for the reply. I have had the fish for 9 days. They look okay, a little bit shy but mostly swimming together. Its is only the lighter coloured ones that arent eating which may just be coincidence but who knows. As i never really gave it much thought i wasnt able to get a photo of the poo sorry. It is white in colour almost translucent and varies in thickness along the strand almost like thicker pieces and then thinner and then tappers off. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Thats okay Brandon,, what I really need to see is the sick fish pics. Try to get head on shots and side shots. You can often tell alot by these since I can't physically see the fish, they are the next best thing.

For now I would hold off on the Beefheart mix. Between the substrate , new fish, newly cycled, and sick fish, it may make matters worse... Did the non eaters ever eat? Or have they been like this the past 9 days since getting them?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

One of the fish ate on the second day, and not again. The three fish (besides that one) have not eaten at all.

D1.jpgD2.jpgD3.jpgD4.jpgD5.jpgD6.jpgD7.jpgD1.jpgD9.jpg

The last photo is a photo of one of the healthy ones that is eating plenty.

Brandon,

I really think you need to get in touch with the seller. The ones that are not eating look stunted and "old" for their size to me. Their shape is poor as well. Fish like this are prone to illness and stress can bring on what you are seeing in the lack of appetite and white feces. They probably have an internal protozoan like hexamita as well. Honestly these things I see in the Fish are not the result of 9 days not eating though. The last photo you posted looks much better shapewise.... use it as reference when you look at the sick ones.

The dark fish here...
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attach...2&d=1487085270

can you get a better shot? That fish is really not looking good.

This one..
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attach...6&d=1487085345

Is there a problem with its eye?

If you decide to treat these I would suggest a course of Metronidazole first... 10 days at 500 mgs/ 10 gal. Do a large water change before each dose...but I would first talk with the seller.

I dropped you a private message.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

I have replied to your message Al.