AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: BEEF HEART vs BEEF HEART FLAKES /PELLETS

Registered Member

Default BEEF HEART vs BEEF HEART FLAKES /PELLETS

I have heard from a few experienced breeders that fish simply won't grow out to the same size without beef or beef heart added to their diet? Is this true? If so, could it be related to hormones in the meat? In addition, has anyone used beef heart flakes and/or pellets instead of the frozen mixes or perhaps switched to them ? I would like to know if the fish can attain similar sizes on the flake or pellets vs the frozen beef heart mixes with or without seafood, especially if supplemented with freeze dried black worms. Some say that the new flakes and pellets have full nutrition. I know there are many people out there that will say they have had excellent results with beef heart over the years but I am interested in hearing from anyone that has actually switched over from the frozen mixes to the processed dry food or perhaps raised a spawn as an experiment using the dried stuff. Thanks.

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: BEEF HEART vs BEEF HEART FLAKES /PELLETS

I have heard from a few experienced breeders that fish simply won't grow out to the same size without beef or beef heart added to their diet? Is this true?
    No.

In addition, has anyone used beef heart flakes and/or pellets instead of the frozen mixes or perhaps switched to them ? I would like to know if the fish can attain similar sizes on the flake or pellets vs the frozen beef heart mixes with or without seafood, especially if supplemented with freeze dried black worms.
    Yes, although I feed FDBW's as a staple, not a supplement, I then feed the pellets and flake as a supplement.

Some say that the new flakes and pellets have full nutrition. I know there are many people out there that will say they have had excellent results with beef heart over the years but I am interested in hearing from anyone that has actually switched over from the frozen mixes to the processed dry food or perhaps raised a spawn as an experiment using the dried stuff. Thanks.
    I have routinely not fed a spec of BH for the last several years and consistently grow out large fish.

That said, I must say, that the most important thing to growing out large healthy fish is water quality, don't skimp on the water changes, do them daily, and do over 50%.

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Good to know. Years ago some very successful breeders I know were adamant about needing beef heart to grow big fish. I am raising a batch of fry, alternating beef heart flakes, freeze dried blackworms, and Sera discus granules and was second guessing things a little. Water is a little easier to keep clean in my opinion

Real Name
    Rick

28444545195_d9c80db65f_b.jpg

Never touched a piece of BH.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lilyann

Ncognito: That discus took my breath away! Is it a Red Cover or an Alenquer? So gorgeous. I just received an Alenquer F1 that (sort of ) looks like it. Or, maybe could look similar to this one if grown out under expert care , lol!IMG_0325[1251].jpg
    Last edited by Lilyann; 02-18-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Lilyann

Sorry image so big, I am not good at posting photos (obviously). The green in photo -appearing on fish- is from that hard green algae that gets on glass. Have the hardest time getting rid of it.

There is nothing magic at all about beef heart. Just a low cost, low fat, high protein base for food that is cost effective for breeders to use. Works well and is cheap and discus seem to like it quite a bit. But any low fat high protein food will work just as well if the fish eat it - and BH isn't perfect either, pretty messy (some recipes less than others) and the hearts are not easy to get in some places.