ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New fish possibly sick

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Default Re: New fish possibly sick

The infected fish or fish with worst symptoms do not sleep at night. They are continually moving up and down throughout the tank.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Ni Mark, on the darting/whirling the only thing I can suggest is try smaller water changes of about 50%. You could also check for a ph swing in your source water.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Mark,
    I replied to your pm.. pls give me a call to go over this all.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Hi Al
    Thank you so much for taking the time with me.
    Quick question, any idea how long the affects of the micro bubbles can or will last? I will say two out of the three most drastically affected look much better today. One is still darting around quite a bit. Although all but one or two still look quite stressed.

Hi Mark,
    It can take a few days .. just try and keep the water stable and aged... and they should hopefully settle in. Dont forget to talk with your water supplier as well to be sure theres nothing up with your water.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

So all fish seem to have survived. Not without some crazy amount of stress. Three of the fish are still not them selfs. One or two of them still darting around on occasion. Two of them pace up and down the sides quite often. They are not eating much of anything.

Still not positive as to the cause. But believe it is directly related to my water changes.
    1st possibly is micro bubbles, or no2 poisoning.
    2nd possibly something in the water poisoned them or highly irritated them.
    3rd possibly I don't know???
    What I can not figure out is why in the tank with two fish in it only one was affected. And with the tank with five fish in it only three were affected from what I have seen??

I did put 25 gallons of water in a container to age. Two days after I looked at the bottom of the container. The hole bottom surface was completely covered with micro bubbles about 1/8" in diameter. I also added prime to this water when I filled the container.
    I tested all water with my API test kit. Everything appears normal. Both in tank and from tap.

So for the time being I am doing smaller water changes with aged water. Also from what I understand, splashing the water in releases more No2 before it enters the tank. So I will be doing this from now on also.

I added some (poly-filter) material in my canister filter as well as a carbon pad.
    Tomorrow I will also be adding some (purigen) to my other canister filter. I am doing this to try to remove anything that could possibly have been the cause.

I also increased air going through my power head to increase surface agitation.

I placed a call to my local water authority. But my questions were not answered as of yet.
    Last edited by Mark N; 03-19-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

image.jpg
    What do you think??
    All fish are eating. But I would only call it grassing, they only pick at the food on the bottom after it has fallen. I still have one fish darting full bore through the tank on occasion. It's as if one got it and gave it to another then another and so on. Kinda like a common cold in humans. They are still very skiddish and often going up and down the sides of the tank.

I have been changing about 25 gallons a day with aged water treated with prime.

The two in the hospital tank look to be doing very well. No more craziness over there. And they are eating very well.

Is there any other water tests I should be doing ??
    Last edited by Mark N; 03-24-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

IMG_0106.jpgStill could use some help here. Fish in main tank twitche a lot. Eating is limited, three that have been affected seam to pace up and down the sides. I still have one fish that is running full boar through the tank bouncing off everything. He will just start doing this at any given moment. No warning signs beforehand. The one pictured here.

On a positive note. The fish in quarantine are doing great from what I can see.
    Last edited by Mark N; 03-26-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

I am going to do a salt dip and see if that helps at all.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

I have done a salt dip on some of the fish from the main tank that have gone crazy. It did not help.
    The fish that are in the hospital tank I thought were ok. But I was wrong. The darker fish has gone crazy three times that I am aware of for no reason at all. And he looks healthier than he has ever been and growing well.

I have a hunch it is possible I may have gotten some bad food. Not sure how or where I would even get it tested. Any Ideas?? For now I will try a different food.
    Last edited by Mark N; 04-01-2017 at 01:53 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12