AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New fish possibly sick

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Default New fish possibly sick

IMG_0083.jpgIMG_0082.jpg
    Still not eating. 90% WC daily, no meds, no changes.

They really seem to be losing weight and coloring.

Suggestions??
    Last edited by Mark N; 02-16-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Default Re: New fish possibly sick

IMG_0086.jpgIMG_0085.jpg
    Am I missing something?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Just an update. GREAT NEWS!!!! Fish began eating!! So happy to see this I can not even express. I put a few frozen blood worms in. They are eating them.

I want to thank each and everyone of you that gave opinions ideas personal advice.

I am hoping for a full recovery. It was looking glume.

What I believe to have helped the most?? 90% Daily water changes, in addition to 95 degree water temperature. The hospital tank was also a very crucial part of this.

What did not work so well? Medications. If there is a next time. I would definitely do things a bit differently.
    I will keep you up to date with their progress. Ty.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

1- both fish pictured above have been quarantined for approximately one month. They were removed from their main tank due to not eating and white stringy poop. I did treat with Hikari brand Metronidazole for approximately 7days while in QT. No improvement during this time. Following treatment I increased the temp to 93 degrees. Shorty after they began eating but only a little. Poop began to look normal and eating increased drastically in both fish. I believe I over fed them at this time. Well today early morning I came in to see the yellow fish struggling to stay down. ( tail standing) and (bloated). I quickly did a 90% WC and added 3 tablespoons of Epson salt. I truly thought it was over for him. To my surprise when I got home he was looking better. Not struggling to stay down. However he still looks bloated and just sitting and not moving much.

I believe that there is still an internal parasite/ bacteria/ worm that is affecting these fish.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    2- tailstanding and bloated.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

3- three weeks ago, Metronidazole Hikari brand for 7 days. Nothing but higher temperature (93 degrees) for past two weeks. . (Today I treated with Epson salt 3 tablespoons per 10 gallons)

Tank/Water
    Ten gallon , bare bottom, air stone ,hob filter with prefilter sponge, and heater. No carbon in filter.
    Tap water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    4- 2 juveniles approximately 3 " to 3 1/2"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

5- 90% daily for the past month.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

6- this is a 10 gallon Hospital tank set up for approximately 5 weeks.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

7- no

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____ (93 degrees )
    Will test water and and post later on.
    - ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____ (YES )

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

9- (nothing )

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

10- freeze dried Tubifex worms. Bacteria free.
    Tetracolor tropical granules.
    Cobalt flakes
    Frozen blood worms

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Last edited by Mark N; 02-24-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

I am now being to suspect Capillaria. Any thoughts???

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Just an update I have been feeding the fish with flake food I purchased from Angels Plus. Fish seem to be doing well. Not really growing at all but eating well.

I do have a concern. The light colored fish physically looks bloated. Is this common just because he is thin and light in color??

Mark,
    Sorrry this thread fell off the grid. You last suspected that the fish had capillaria.... were the flakes you fed deworming flakes?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Thank you Al.
    No. Anti protozoan yellow flake from Angels plus. I believe it has metronidazole in it. I wanted to make sure I got rid of the white stringy poop first. That seems to have completely cleared up.

Now my concern is the fish looks to be bloated. I am Not sure what to do about it.

I am currently only treating with one table spoon of salt per 10 gallons of water.
    I will try to get a picture of him.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

IMG_0095.jpg
    This is during feeding the flake.
    Last edited by Mark N; 03-04-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Definitely bloated.. If epsom salt isnt working Its probably not a good sign Mark. Its likely bacterial.

Given the health and over condition of the fish I really wouldnt recommend treating with an antibiotic...but thats a personal call. If you do, kanamycin is what I would try.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

I have some of the antibiotic red flake food. I believe it has Kamanycin in it. I will give it a try.

Should I raise or lower the water temperature?
    Ty
    Last edited by Mark N; 03-04-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Well I lowered the temperature to 85 degrees. And began feeding some of the antibiotic red flake food. The fish seem to be a little less energetic. This one has begun with stringy poop again. But it looks different than before. Not as white or as stringy. Hmmm? Not sure what to make of it.

Ps still adding one table spoon of epson salt per 10 gallons.

IMG_0098.jpgIMG_0101.jpg

I am considering moving the other fish out to another tank. It seems to be pooping normally. The lighter fish keeps harassing it and chasing it constantly and relentlessly. I believe it may be stressing it.

Open to thoughts and suggestions. Ty
    Last edited by Mark N; 03-05-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Well an update. Both fish are still in hospital tank. The smaller one seems to be getting better and stronger. The light colored one would appear ok most times. However it's behavior is very erratic. It will dart across the tank at times for no apparent reason, Swim in circles , on it's side. Then back to normal. Sometimes it swims out in the open and other times seems to hide. It acts like it is possessed and can not control its own actions.
    It is interesting that the fish alternate power so to speak. The stronger or should I say healthier one regardless of size picks on the other.

I am still treating with one table spoon of epson salt per 10 gallons. Also I am feeding red medicated food from Angels Plus. I believe it has Kamanycin in it. Designed to primarily stop infections from gram-negative bacteria. That is what is said on the site.
    I have been feeding this exclusively. And limiting the amount. The bloating has been very limited now.

I am really unsure what is causing the light fish to dart around uncontrollably and erratic. Not sure how to proceed???

On a different note. I have five Discus in another tank. All appear to be happy and healthy. Although one has gotten spooked for no apparent reason at all on two occasions I am aware of. Once at 3am he darted across the tank full bore and hit the side glass full steam, then directly into the top. Then settled down. Nothing in or around the tank or room to cause this. Just the other day at 3 in the afternoon I am resting on the couch. Not a sound in the house. And out of nowhere the fish darts across the tank in several directions recklessly. It finds the only opening in the tank and launches out of the tank right before my eyes!!!! He fell nearly 5 feet. I quickly scooped him up and put him in the tank. He amazingly seems to be unharmed. He and all the fish seem to be happy and healthy.

Is there a connection between the two fishes behavior???
    Last edited by Mark N; 03-13-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Ok I really need some help here. My other fish are beginning to have similar symptoms. Flicking erratically, fins twitching rapidly ,running into things, darting across the tank. It is like they are possessed and something is controlling them. Physical look good though.

What am I missing here???IMG_0115.jpgIMG_0111.jpgIMG_0106.jpg
    The only thing I see is this poop from this one fish but it is not white. Sure could use some help on this.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

The fish that jumped out the other day just went nuts in the tank . Running full steam then frantically swimming is circles. Then just stopped. Same symptoms as the fish in quarantine tank. It is almost like they have a seizure and can not control what they are doing.

I have three other tanks and all fish are ok. It is just my Discus from what I can tell. Is it possible they have whirling disease??

I am a complete loss.
    Last edited by Mark N; 03-14-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast