ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Pair acting like laying eggs

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Maher

Default Pair acting like laying eggs

Hi..
    I have 2 discus in a 270 Liter tank, the tank is a community planted tank, but they are the only 2 adult discus in it..

Last week it was the first time they lay eggs, the female laid few eggs before I had to leave home, until I left; the male did not move on eggs to fertilize it..when I am back the eggs were gone, and I thought it is normal since it is first time..

Today I was expecting that the will lay eggs again, when I came home from work, the female had her tube down, and acting like she is laying eggs, but there are no eggs at all, the male standing next to her cleaning and shaking..they spent like 4 hrs doing it..

once done the female started to move around the tank happy, the male took a corner like he is angry looool; 10 minutes later they are back together cleaning and shaking..

So, up to now, I am not sure that the male is really a male..since I did not see him fertilizing..

Any ideas what might be wrong? is this normal?..

Thanks all..

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Pair acting like laying eggs

Hi Maher, How old are these adults? And what kind(strain)?
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Quote Originally Posted by malhilo View Post
    Hi..
    I have 2 discus in a 270 Liter tank, the tank is a community planted tank, but they are the only 2 adult discus in it..

Last week it was the first time they lay eggs, the female laid few eggs before I had to leave home, until I left; the male did not move on eggs to fertilize it..when I am back the eggs were gone, and I thought it is normal since it is first time..

Today I was expecting that the will lay eggs again, when I came home from work, the female had her tube down, and acting like she is laying eggs, but there are no eggs at all, the male standing next to her cleaning and shaking..they spent like 4 hrs doing it..

once done the female started to move around the tank happy, the male took a corner like he is angry looool; 10 minutes later they are back together cleaning and shaking..

So, up to now, I am not sure that the male is really a male..since I did not see him fertilizing..

Any ideas what might be wrong? is this normal?..

Thanks all..
    Possibly young adults. Possibly 2 females

I had two females pair originally. Now a male has paired with the one that lays eggs often and he eats them as fast as she lays them

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Maher

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Hi Maher, How old are these adults? And what kind(strain)?
    Hi Naz, not sure about the age, I think the female is still very young..size I believe the male is around 5" solid blue, female is around 4" golden albino..

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Maher

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Possibly young adults. Possibly 2 females

I had two females pair originally. Now a male has paired with the one that lays eggs often and he eats them as fast as she lays them
    Yes, I think the female is still young..

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by malhilo View Post
    Hi Naz, not sure about the age, I think the female is still very young..size I believe the male is around 5" solid blue, female is around 4" golden albino..
    Give them some time, usually it more time for the male to mature.This is copied from an old post and edited for spelling errors I hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoastdisc View Post
    I agree with Howie_w

I had lot of experience and see my own eyes i had more than 100 discus to pair up and spawn since 1995.

Females start to laid spread eggs at 9 months old size about 4 1/2" to 5" but sometime female can laid eggs stay together.

Matured females start laid eggs to stay together at 12 to 14 months old 5" to 6"

Early males can fertilize at 12 months old 5" to 6"

Matured males can fertilize 14 to 18 months old 6" to 8"

Mature mated pairs between 12 months old to 18 months old.

But the blue diamonds start to mate pairs at 18 months old to 24 months old.

For the wild discus can mature mated pairs after 24 months old.

hth

Duncan
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"