ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow. I just about give up.....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Default Wow. I just about give up.....

Pretty much at a loss for words at this point. Ever since I started this hobby 4 months ago I have had some serious curve balls thrown my way and created some of my own issues along the way also. Always learning the hard way. Everything from malfunctioning equipment, sick fish, dead fish, culling fish to be sent to a lab for analysis after treatments did not work and other fish started showing signs, water issues, bullying, flooding basement....the list goes on. But this one tops it completely off. Today happened to also be the first day after levamisole treatment (battling parasites for 2 months) that ALL my fish ate. This was the first sign of hope I have had in those 2 months that my fish were going to recover. Then I came home from work to this...

http://i.imgur.com/gFv2Zyy.jpg

Yup, that would be a nice crack at the base of my 125. Hell yes!! So excited. Not only do I not have enough tanks or a big enough spare to fit them in, but I surely dont have the extra coin to go replace this either. Looks like some local Marylanders will be getting some free Discus any day now.

Default Re: Wow. I just about give up.....

OMG...That is all so horrendous...just awful. Really sorry this has all happened to you in such a short time. I really wish I had helpful words of wisdom for you..All I can say is my heart goes out to you.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

I would just reduce the water level to be safe until you get an alternative.... check out local clubs you might just get a temp place or a good deal on a tank... try Cca I am in Maryland and that's our local club....sorry man...

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavalsp View Post
    I would just reduce the water level to be safe until you get an alternative.... check out local clubs you might just get a temp place or a good deal on a tank... try Cca I am in Maryland and that's our local club....sorry man...
    Also when reducing the water, the pressure is also reduce as well.

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    Also when reducing the water, the pressure is also reduce as well.
    +1

Real Name
    Filip

Leave the tank running with 40% water until you find a good deal for a new simmilar sized tank Matt.
    And dont give up please. You have stood through hell and back and now you are getting cold feet over a piece of glass ? You got to be tougher than that Matt .

Real Name
    Rob

There should be some sort of warranty with the tank if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure they guarantee that their tanks aren't going to just crack like that. It doesn't seem like there is any mark signifying that the glass was hit and that should be on the manufacturer for their glass giving in under pressure. If I'm not mistaken, you bought this tank for black friday 2016 and that means that it hasn't help up for 4 months. Kind of nervous because I'm pretty sure I have the same tank.

Hey guys- would it help to try and reinforce it with silicone or some kind of adhesive on the outside in the meantime?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Look on Craigslist, there are always lots of tanks. Some may be ugly but they will hold your fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Hey guys- would it help to try and reinforce it with silicone or some kind of adhesive on the outside in the meantime?
    I'd say best thing is to drop water level as much as you can. Less pressure and weight on that crack the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I'd say best thing is to drop water level as much as you can. Less pressure and weight on that crack the better.
    That makes sense Ryan- especially trying to put some kind of tape on it. I could see a looming disaster there. It is something I would do and regret it as the tank collapses at my feet.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

I didn't see the pic before. That crack is quiet pronounced... I would act fast... silicon may work but the constant worry won't be worth it especially with 125.... I guess you will be having a busy weekend!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRobV View Post
    There should be some sort of warranty with the tank if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure they guarantee that their tanks aren't going to just crack like that. It doesn't seem like there is any mark signifying that the glass was hit and that should be on the manufacturer for their glass giving in under pressure. If I'm not mistaken, you bought this tank for black friday 2016 and that means that it hasn't help up for 4 months. Kind of nervous because I'm pretty sure I have the same tank.
    Go inspect your tank immediately. If you have substrate, remove it. When I got the substrate out of the old tank, ALL four corners had spider webbed cracks. To add insult to injury, after seeing all four corners cracked on the old tank I inspected the crap out of the new tank....yup, hairline cracks on the bottom of the new tank also. Not sure if this is a petsmart handling issue, poor manufacturing or the crappy stand. Either way I am now fighting with Petsmart over a full refund because I refuse to use this brand of tank anymore.

Real Name
    Jason

Glass too thin?

I feel you pain my friend, it's been quite the voyage for me too, any updates?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast