AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: No success with apple snail

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Anthony

Default No success with apple snail

I have been trying to introduce apple snails into my tank. ~4 times already. Every time when I added them to the tank, they would move on the first day and that's all. After the first day, they stayed at the same spot and slowly die away. I used to have them before when I had blood parrot and lived for years. Is it because of the high temp? My tank temp is 82, PH is 7.4. What can I do to have them in the tank?

Default Re: No success with apple snail

Quote Originally Posted by xxalanxx View Post
    I have been trying to introduce apple snails into my tank. ~4 times already. Every time when I added them to the tank, they would move on the first day and that's all. After the first day, they stayed at the same spot and slowly die away. I used to have them before when I had blood parrot and lived for years. Is it because of the high temp? My tank temp is 82, PH is 7.4. What can I do to have them in the tank?
    I think 82 is around the top of their recommended temp range. Why apple snail ? Are you set on them ? I've had mystery and nerites with my discus with no problems.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Anthony

Tried apple snail again 2 weeks ago. Still had no success. I bought a plant and it came with some unknown snails, which also died within a week. My tank is like a snail killer even the unwelcome intruded snails couldn't survive!

I am not dead set on apple snail, but I do like apple snail more. I am curious to know if anyone has success with apple snail? Is nerite snail the only possible survivor with discus?

Tried apple snail again 2 weeks ago. Still had no success. I bought a plant and it came with some unknown snails, which also died within a week. My tank is like a snail killer even the unwelcome intruded snails couldn't survive!

I am not dead set on apple snail, but I do like apple snail more. I am curious to know if anyone has success with apple snail? Is nerite snail the only possible survivor with discus?
    I had mystery and assassins with no problems either.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Anthony Apple snails can survive with discus but really arent a good choice. I have found that Golden Incas are more hardy. Actually snails in general are a bad idea for a fish tank, imo. Yes I know people do it all the time. My concerns stem from the fact that Snails act as intermediate hosts for all kinds of fish parasites and unfortunately you won't find out for months down the line when you start having issues. The only way to be sure they are clean is to set up a separate tank for your snails...let the breed, they lay an egg case above the water... collect it and hatch. The hatched ones should be parasite free and healthy. I have done it...its kind of fun.

Other than that, if you have ever used a chelated copper in your tank....or its a used tank and the former owner used it.it can leach back into the tank, and thats toxic to snails.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images