ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: lets talk food

Registered Member

Default lets talk food

getting ready to start my fish less cycle in my qt tank. never had discus. what do i feed them when i get them and my cycle is complete? not homemade, not too crazy expensive please!

Default Re: lets talk food

Get yourself some freeze dried black worms from Al. Frozen beef heart and probably a good pellet

Registered Member

thanks ryan, is the beef heart a flake? and what brand pellet?

I've never tried BH flakes. I fed the frozen cubes. I'm sure flakes are far less messy. As far as pellets I fed Forrest's aquabits which I liked. I believe Al also sells quality pellets as well. Check out his online store or send him a message. He is very helpful and sells great product at a good rate. Plus buying through Al helps to support the forum

Real Name
    Naz

Find out from your supplier what they are being fed.Discus will eat a very wide variety of foods. Freeze Dried Blackworms,Frozen Brine Shrimp(artemia),Mosquito Larvae.White Worms,Mysis Shrimp,Chopped up Red Worms,White worms,. Dry food like Flakes,Granules and Pellets, Prepared beef heart mix and the list goes on.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Find out from your supplier what they are being fed.Discus will eat a very wide variety of foods. Freeze Dried Blackworms,Frozen Brine Shrimp(artemia),Mosquito Larvae.White Worms,Mysis Shrimp,Chopped up Red Worms,White worms,. Dry food like Flakes,Granules and Pellets, Prepared beef heart mix and the list goes on.
    I'm buying from Kenny, good call i will find out what they feed. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clark12 View Post
    I'm buying from Kenny, good call i will find out what they feed. thanks
    While Kenny has them he just feeds them frozen blood worms since they are a clean, easily accepted food and Kenny only has them for 2 weeks. So once you get them you will want to put them on a more nutritious, higher protein diet such as the foods the members mentioned above. Al's discus chow pellets are awesome. They are the only flake or pellet I have that does not leave any "dust" on the tank floor. Very clean, nutritious food and my fish love them. While you are at it- his freeze dried black worms are a daily item for my fish and most people here as well. I have heard people say that when their fish are sick this is the one thing that helps them get back to eating. (No I am not a a paid spokesperson ) The Aquabites that Ryan mentioned are sold by Forrest Tao, the breeder and exporter who sends the fish to Kenny. He feeds his young fish those and mine took to the them first time. You can get them through messaging Forrest in the sponsors' section. They take awhile to arrive though coming from Malaysia. Like everyone said you have lots of choices but these are a great place to start. ( I would personally be a bit weary of live foods to start out. Some may carry pathogens that can make your fish ill. Many swear by them and have used them successfully but just starting out you may want to avoid these risks and stay safer with the other foods mentioned.)
    Last edited by Jenene; 02-18-2017 at 09:19 AM.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    While Kenny has them he just feeds them frozen blood worms since they are a clean, easily accepted food and Kenny only has them for 2 weeks. So once you get them you will want to put them on a more nutritious, higher protein diet such as the foods the members mentioned above. Al's discus chow pellets are awesome. They are the only flake or pellet I have that does not leave any "dust" on the tank floor. Very clean, nutritious food and my fish love them. While you are at it- his freeze dried black worms are a daily item for my fish and most people here as well. I have heard people say that when their fish are sick this is the one thing that helps them get back to eating. (No I am not a a paid spokesperson ) The Aquabites that Ryan mentioned are sold by Forrest Tao, the breeder and exporter who sends the fish to Kenny. He feeds his young fish those and mine took to the them first time. You can get them through messaging Forrest in the sponsors' section. They take awhile to arrive though coming from Malaysia. Like everyone said you have lots of choices but these are a great place to start. ( I would personally be a bit weary of live foods to start out. Some may carry pathogens that can make your fish ill. Many swear by them and have used them successfully but just starting out you may want to avoid these risks and stay safer with the other foods mentioned.)
    very informative, all posts, thanks. Als store, is this Aquaticsuppliers.com?

very informative, all posts, thanks. Als store, is this Aquaticsuppliers.com?
    Yup, Just scroll down to the Sponsor section. The food lasts a long time if you think it is a bit pricey-it is actually a great deal. You can freeze some until you need it to keep it even fresher. Enjoy shopping!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Yup, Just scroll down to the Sponsor section. The food lasts a long time if you think it is a bit pricey-it is actually a great deal. You can freeze some until you need it to keep it even fresher. Enjoy shopping!
    are the black worm pellets comparable to the FDBW loose worm variation. not sure on quantity yet. i will have 6 juvies.

are the black worm pellets comparable to the FDBW loose worm variation. not sure on quantity yet. i will have 6 juvies.
    Reach out to Al in a PM or on his sponsor section- he is the best one to answer that

Real Name
    Steve

AquaticSuppliers.com

You can go to his site and check out the ingredients in the pellets. My discus really like them.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    AquaticSuppliers.com

You can go to his site and check out the ingredients in the pellets. My discus really like them.
    I love Als pellets because they sink to the bottom quick! I ran out and am feeding these other pellets and they don't seem to like these as much

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Als freeze dried black worms the fish will decimate the cubes in no time flat best thing I have ever used!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I love Als pellets because they sink to the bottom quick! I ran out and am feeding these other pellets and they don't seem to like these as much
    +1 on that Ricardo! I love that they don't dissolve into dust and cloud the water. They are never in the water long enough to dissolve because the fish love them so much, but the ones that are hard to reach do not dissolve. Also taste test compare- they love them as much as the FDBW. Sometime I toss in a few during a FDBW feeding since they are easier for my nearsighted Albino Platinum to find and the other fish steal them away even with FDBW floating right by! Now that just about says it all!