AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack Wattley Discus in Miami, FL

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Jack Wattley Discus in Miami, FL

Hi all,

I'm looking to add some red Discus to my 180gal and currently DiscusUSA is low on stock. A friend talked to me about their recent visit to Jack Wattley Discus in Miami, Florida. Funny that I never found them in my previous searches but they sound really good to me. Talked to Gabe there and everything needed to ship to me checks out fine.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this supplier?

Thanks,
    Kenny

Registered Member

Default Re: Jack Wattley Discus in Miami, FL

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking to add some red Discus to my 180gal and currently DiscusUSA is low on stock. A friend talked to me about their recent visit to Jack Wattley Discus in Miami, Florida. Funny that I never found them in my previous searches but they sound really good to me. Talked to Gabe there and everything needed to ship to me checks out fine.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this supplier?

Thanks,
    Kenny
    I hear the discus from him are good quality at a good price. I might buy my first discus from him soon.
    Some people hang pictures.
    Some people prefer living art in aquariums.

Real Name
    Casey

Jack Wattley is a legend in Discus. If you look for a book on these fish, he probably wrote it. He was the go to man for knowledge on the fish in the 1980's. I know a lot has changed since those books but none the less. He has good quality fish and a sound operation. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Real Name
    Willie

Jack sold his business to Gabe almost 25 years ago and no longer has any connection. Gabe is an importer and also raises discus from other people's fry.

Nothing against Gabe, but my recommendation is to go with the sponsors here. If they ship less than top quality discus, everyone on this forum is going to know about it. They have to be super careful on quality to stay in business.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Jack sold his business to Gabe almost 25 years ago and no longer has any connection. Gabe is an importer and also raises discus from other people's fry.

Nothing against Gabe, but my recommendation is to go with the sponsors here. If they ship less than top quality discus, everyone on this forum is going to know about it. They have to be super careful on quality to stay in business.

Willie
    Thanks Willie,

I'm restricted by my shipping logistics and local import requirements. I first looked into the sponsors in Florida but couldn't find one that had a good stock of domestics (non-wilds). Unfortunately none of the other sponsors would work for me. It's too bad since I'd love to order from Kenny's Discus who was my top choice.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 02-20-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Adrian, check out my tank journal. My trials and tribulations have been a bit embarrassing but the latest videos are getting better. I nabbed some Red Pandas from Gabe and they have been great. Amazingly peaceful temperament and really hardy, thank goodness. My only complaint is a very little bit of peppering on a few of their noses.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by DYDave82 View Post
    Adrian, check out my tank journal. My trials and tribulations have been a bit embarrassing but the latest videos are getting better. I nabbed some Red Pandas from Gabe and they have been great. Amazingly peaceful temperament and really hardy, thank goodness. My only complaint is a very little bit of peppering on a few of their noses.
    David,

I'll check it out, thanks.

EDIT: wow those Red Pandas look beautiful. How is their color now, are they still turning more yellow or did their deep red color come back? What do you think caused the color change?
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 02-20-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Willie
    Someone mentioned at FB Gabe was using Jack wattley's name for his leverage.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    David,

I'll check it out, thanks.

EDIT: wow those Red Pandas look beautiful. How is their color now, are they still turning more yellow or did their deep red color come back? What do you think caused the color change?
    A slight change in diet and placement in a much larger (appropriate sized tank) made the their colors shift to the intense red in the latest video (also the blue light helps their color pop -- but the previous video was under a red light so the change is legit=). I have been very happy with Gabe's stock and his customer service. Why he doesn't sponsor here, one could only guess. I will say that after all I've learned here it is clear that his discus are mostly imported. Are these Pandas direct descendants of Wattley's -- probably not. I do enjoy them though. My advice at this point is to be sure to settle on one breeder/ importer as it can be very time consuming and stressful to mix recklessly.

Real Name
    Casey

Willie
    Hey willie, I didn't know he had no connection anymore. That's good to know. I'll PM you about something regarding discus.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by DYDave82 View Post
    A slight change in diet and placement in a much larger (appropriate sized tank) made the their colors shift to the intense red in the latest video (also the blue light helps their color pop -- but the previous video was under a red light so the change is legit=). I have been very happy with Gabe's stock and his customer service. Why he doesn't sponsor here, one could only guess. I will say that after all I've learned here it is clear that his discus are mostly imported. Are these Pandas direct descendants of Wattley's -- probably not. I do enjoy them though. My advice at this point is to be sure to settle on one breeder/ importer as it can be very time consuming and stressful to mix recklessly.
    I considered the drawback of ordering from a different supplier this time around. Still waiting for some videos from Gabe of his larger reds to see if he has some that I want.

Registered Member

We ordered some striated turqoise from Gabe. The fish arrive in excellent shape and were more than we expected. He sent us a six inch male and he is gorgeous. He rules the tank. We will be ordering from him again soon.
    Fred

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by F-cotterell View Post
    We ordered some striated turqoise from Gabe. The fish arrive in excellent shape and were more than we expected. He sent us a six inch male and he is gorgeous. He rules the tank. We will be ordering from him again soon.
    Fred
    Sounds nice. Do you have any pictures you could post?

Registered Member

Jack Wattley is 93 or 94 now. He and Gabe are still friends, but I think he has been retired for a long time.

I've never heard anywhere that he was importing and selling other peoples' fry. I do know that he at least breeds some as he's mentioned his hatchery several times and I even bought one of a pair that he was not getting what he wanted out of. He keeps a lot of Jack's classic lines going like his classic turqs. I believe coeruleas and some pandas are also Wattley originals, which Gabe still has.

I have nothing but good things to say about Gabe. I've bought all of my discus from him and have been very happy with them. He is personable and has always been responsive.

Real Name
    Ryan

Yes Jack is retired. Yes the company sold to gabe after a long friendship & partnership. Yes gabe still breeds his own fish. Last time i spoke with gabe he was NOT importing. Gabe has multiple hatcheries between florida & NJ.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast