AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Normal respiratory rate

Registered Member

Question Normal respiratory rate

Hi, I am doing a project and I can't seem to find the normal vitals for discus.

Many of the diseases associated with discus fish have 'increased respiratory rate' as a sign, but I can't find normal values. Any help is appreciated, especially if other values (heart rate etc.) can be provided as well.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Normal respiratory rate

Quote Originally Posted by a.sutter View Post
    Hi, I am doing a project and I can't seem to find the normal vitals for discus.

Many of the diseases associated with discus fish have 'increased respiratory rate' as a sign, but I can't find normal values. Any help is appreciated, especially if other values (heart rate etc.) can be provided as well.
    Hi A.Sutter and welcome to the forum .
    Im very curious about your project and what you plan regarding keeping discus .

1 breath per second is ussually considered as normal breathing rate for grown discus and 1.5 - 2 breaths per second for a baby - juvie discus .
    This info is rather empirical and oftenly shared here on the forum between members and i doubt that youll find some scientific studies regarding this questions on the net .
    Dr. Edward J Nogas fish disease books are a good way to start searching for some deeper scienttific records on this matter .

Good luck with your project and i hope you ll share it with us .