ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Patience or Medication?

Default Patience or Medication?

I have 5, 5-5.5" discus in a 75gal tank with 10 phantom tetras and one pleco. They all came from a breeder on this site and have been in my tank for 6 months and doing well. The problem, at least I think its a problem is one fish is refusing to eat and the others are less aggressive at feeding time than they used to be. I feed predominantly
    Als FDBW 2-3 cubes a day and mix in some granules from time to time. They will not touch frozen blood worms and never have. Now when I place the cube on the glass they all come running but after a few seconds of eating they start playing keep away from the food and chase each other around. They will slowly pick at the floating worms and eventually will finish off a half cube over time, whereas they would demolish a whole cube in less than 5 minutes. They all have great color, no clamped fins and behavior is still what i call normal except for the appetite thing. All water parameters are in check and temp stays at 82-83. I do 75% WC every other day and keep up with wipe downs and filter cleaning as well as swapping the hoses on my canisters monthly...my tank is clean! Is this just a phase or a precursor that something is going wrong. If so where do I start if the symptoms are only the appetite thing. Also poop is normal, no white stringy or cottony stuff. Looking for advice, thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Patience or Medication?

Just because they eating less is not a good enough reason to medicate them.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Default Re: Patience or Medication?

No medicating in this case for sure.
    Suggest you might try raising the temp by 2 or 3 degrees for just a few days, and omitting any feeding at all for a day or two to see if appetite improvement appears.
    Or skip feeding for a day or so, then introduce a bit of new food (good flake, whatever) with some finely diced fresh garlic incorporated. Worth a try.
    Otherwise, just be patient for a while.