ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I took a gamble on an old Lens....FUNGUS!

Default I took a gamble on an old Lens....FUNGUS!

Hi all,
    I like to look at photo galleries taken by various old lenses, especially odd ball stuff. Sometimes if they catch my eye, I jot down a note and keep an eye out for one. One such lens is the TELEMEGOR-4-5-300-mm-by-MEYER-OPTIK-GORLITZ Its a beast of a East German lens that has 19 blades to its aperture. Its heavy , looks like a bazooka... and of course its old and manual.

20170221_164623_01 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

20170221_164631_01 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

So anyways, it was on my list along with its big brother a 400mm version. I happened across one on ebay that was being sold for $69 or best offer but it had "some" fungus. I have seen some lens with a little fungus and sometimes it doesn't even affect the image... This was not the case here.. And from the sellers pics...this was probably the worst fungus I have ever seen! On a whim I decided to throw out an offer, $25.00. I really wasn't too sure it would even clean up. Sometimes the fungus actually etches the glass.. I have cleaned a few up with peroxide and white vinegar though that look good as new. Well the seller took my offer and I got my Lens.. It was as bad as I thought!..

I took a picture through just for kicks...

IMGP9007 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Pretty much what I was expecting. This poor creature had been neglected.

This is what the lens looked like before I took it apart and cleaned it....

20170221_153032_01 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

20170221_153028_01 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

20170221_151442_01 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

20170221_151709_01 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-21-2017 at 07:49 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: I took a gamble on an old Lens....FUNGUS!

After cleaning with Hydrogen Peroxide and white vinegar...

20170221_153839_01 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

20170221_153806 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Theres a little etching maybe along the perimeter, but not too bad. I still need to break it down some more, There was a retainer that gave me some trouble.. I need to remove that to get to the backside of the lens element.. but luckily that side doesn't appear to be affected. I'd say I probably have 90-95 % cleaned.

I snapped a quick pic , but its cloudy outside and the lights dropped out there. I need to take some better shots tomorrow before I can really tell much. I am hopeful though...If not it was a neat way to spend a few hours.

IMGP9043 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

You must feel like you saved a life. The fungus lens was disgusting. You have resurrected it with peroxide and white vinegar.

I have a love of good cameras and big glass, and old stuff in general. Looking forward to seeing more pics.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

What a difference Al, you think you can clean it up some more? Like Liz, want to see some more images with your bazooka. lol
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Matt

Taking a lens apart scares me. Have you done it with any newer lenses or is it easier with old lenses assuming there is not as much tech in there to mess up? I suspect the complicated auto focus systems all but prevent it on the new stuff. Rip those contacts and RIP the lens. I wouldn't even consider it until the lens is out of warranty of course. Eventually all zooms will get something stuck inside I feel like. It's the nature of the moving parts, dust or grime will find it's way inside, especially on zooms with the constant in and out motion.
    -Matt

Thanks Liz and Pat... Im looking forward to seeing what it does in the sun. These lenses have so many aperture blades that it gives the picture a certain look. ... some call these bokeh monsters...thats what attracted me.

Matt, I have taken apart alot of lens...the more modern...the lower my success rate at putting them back together....i take photos as I go along. The older lens are generally easier but some are royal pains. The focus ring on this one was a bit tricky.. its basically a thread grooved metal sleeve about 8 inches long....everything is aligned by two screws.. took it apart fine.. had some trouble getting it back together so it focused smoothly....this ones a bit stiff...40 plus years and the grease does gum up a bit. I may take it apart and try cleaning the old grease and reapplying.
    I try not to mess with AF lens when possible... I messed up on my 70- 210 tamron once it was an all day project getting it back together and working. I was sweating bullets on that one..
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

nice work...but i thought this was going to end up saying the lens was cured with just water changes ; )

Please get rid of the old grease and put in grease that makes it smooth and please figure out how to break into the inside lens element (whatever that is). I know nothing. I feel that you won't regret putting time into Bazooka.
    Mama Bear

Im definitely going to have to take it apart and re-lubricate it. The Grease is just way too stiff. Its hard enough holding lens this heavy steady but when its hard to focus its even worse. Still I stopped by an old cemetary this morning near my house ... still was cloudy and at around 8am.. lighting is not great. A lens like this really needs good lighing, it says its a 4.5 but to me.. I think they were being way to generous on the aperture numbers!

some quick pics...

IMGP9088 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

IMGP9095 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

IMGP9085 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

IMGP9079 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

IMGP9099_01 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Matt

Can't beat that for $25 and a little bit of cleaning work. What a steal.
    -Matt

My word, what a place. The grave stones are works of art. I like the simple ones better than the fancy ones. I like Sarah Johnson's best of the fancy ones.

I know that this $25 lens will be idiosyncratic. It will demand that you learn it's ways. I have a feeling that jumping through all it's hoops will prove to be worth it. My feelings aren't always right, though.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    My word, what a place. The grave stones are works of art. I like the simple ones better than the fancy ones. I like Sarah Johnson's best of the fancy ones.

I know that this $25 lens will be idiosyncratic. It will demand that you learn it's ways. I have a feeling that jumping through all it's hoops will prove to be worth it. My feelings aren't always right, though.
    Thanks Liz, I believe you are right about this lens. Its got a will of its own but thats really what I like about the old ones. You do need to learn their ways...

I like checking out old cemetaries...my wife and I used to make a day of it... this particular one is a new find for me...its not something you easily see driving around. It has alot of history to it... if you are interested ..
    http://patch.com/connecticut/durham/...burying-ground

The angel motiff on the stones was the carvers trade mark... a bit different from the other at the time. Its a place I need to spend alot more time at when I have the right lighting.

Matt,pretty sure you can get m42 adapters for your camera. I know a guy that can point out a few steals for your budget...and they wont need a major over haul!
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Can't even imagine. I have enough trouble boxing mine to send to Nikon!
    (Had several lenses that did not fare well while living in the Caribbean.)
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    Can't even imagine. I have enough trouble boxing mine to send to Nikon!
    (Had several lenses that did not fare well while living in the Caribbean.)
    Stan,
    I'm guessing your lens are a bit more hi-tech and cost quite a bit more than my old bazookas and other old glass and tubes do!

Its not surprising though that you had issues in the tropics...it really doesnt take long for a fungus to grow if there is high humidity and coating they can eat!

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Ok, not that I am perfectionist but the focus ring was really driving me nuts... So I took it apart again wiped off all the old grease and re-applied new grease. They do sell and expensive special grease for the helicals of lens, but I use something I have used for years called apiezon grease. Its worked well for me.

20170223_072058_01 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

20170223_072317_01 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

20170223_072339_01 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

20170223_072621_01 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

20170223_072634_01 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

It definitely made a difference. Like night and day.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-23-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast