AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus Doing Fine - Rams Dying

Default Discus Doing Fine - Rams Dying

This is a problem with my 55 gal. planted tank.

I have about 7 full grown Discus, varies sometimes one or two less, that eat and even pair off, beautiful colors etc, but I constantly lose my Rams.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Rams seem to do well and then suddenly die one by one over the course of weeks. Occasionally Tetra as well but not like the Rams. This seems like a chronic problem with this tank over many years.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Discoloration, hanging at surface, gasping for air, not eating, death over the course of a few days.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

No meds. used yet.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55 gal., relatively young fish, groups of 3-5. Adolescents to mature specimens.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% every 3-4 days.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank running for many years and well cycled, canister filters with uv. River sand bottom about 1.5".

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Do not age water. Ph swing unsure, but should be relatively mild.

8. Parameters and water source;

Municipal water treated with Safe.

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __82__

- ph _7.2-7.5

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0-2 ppm (though my kit seems to indicate close to 0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __x__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Some Cardinals and Black Tetras qt's but this seems like a chronic problem specific to this tank.

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Twice daily feedings of beef heart, flake, Tetra Bits, FDTW

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them

Default Re: Discus Doing Fine - Rams Dying

Hi Stu,
    Couple of thoughts. First is this is a planted tank with substrate? Theres a good chance that foods being left to rot...the rams eat it and get sick....they can be sensitive like that.

Second option.. "FDTW" if thats tubifex... thats something I would cut out....see if it makes a difference. Depending on where they are collected you run the gamet of all kinds of bacterias to heavy metals and agricultural contamination. Of all the commercially available foods...the Tubifex has more potential than any imo to be a problem.

Hth,
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-22-2017 at 09:50 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Hey Al,

Thanks for the feedback. It is a planted tank but with many plecos, Cory Sterbai, etc. to consume anything uneaten. The freeze dried tubifex might be worth looking into but I source well and only feed this every 3rd to 4th day.

As I stated in the post, Discus doing really well here, I have Clown Plecos in this tank for many years but can't get a handle on the Rams. They'll even pair off and try to establish a breeding territory while one may die a week a later; baffling. I should possibly seek out a Ram forum also to get a better understanding of them. I always assume that if you can keep Discus well then almost anything freshwater should also fall into line but I may need more and better info. for the Rams.

Real Name
    Willie

I used to breed a lot of German rams. Had about 5 generations going. Here's what I've learned.

1. Rams are really annual fish - they live about 1.5 years max.
    2. If you keep them at 84F, they live about 1.25 years max.
    3. If you buys rams at LFS, which usually want full colored specimen at 1.25", these fish are typically 12 months old.
    4. Most people are buying old rams (past spawning age) that only have 3 - 6 months life left.
    5. Best rams are obtained from local hobbyists when they're 1/2" long and somewhat drab.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks for that info Willie. I've recently bought breeding pairs from Yunite. I wonder if they're already on their way out. They're in a community tank with lots of dither fish and my attempt at plants. Probably not a breeding environment yet.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Casey

Willie hit the nail on the head. Ram's do not have a long life cycle in the aquarium. I had one for 2 years from birth and I felt like that was a miracle. If they aren't croaking as a group in mass die offs you're probably just experiencing aging. Especially an "established breeding pair" they were probably on their way out. The best way to get a breeding pair of rams is to buy 6 or 8 when they're small and just let the pair bond form.

If you were closer I would get you some rams for dirt cheap. $2 for GBR, $3 for Gold, $3.5 for balloon, $4 for bolivians.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I used to breed a lot of German rams. Had about 5 generations going. Here's what I've learned.

1. Rams are really annual fish - they live about 1.5 years max.
    2. If you keep them at 84F, they live about 1.25 years max.
    3. If you buys rams at LFS, which usually want full colored specimen at 1.25", these fish are typically 12 months old.
    4. Most people are buying old rams (past spawning age) that only have 3 - 6 months life left.
    5. Best rams are obtained from local hobbyists when they're 1/2" long and somewhat drab.

Willie
    Great info. Willie. How susceptible are they to ph crashes, even gradual ones? . The German Ram is just lost was fully grown and really spectacular and doing great but may have been subjected to a low ph while I was away for about 7 days.

I have four adolescents in a qt tank now. One Golden, one Electric Blue (sic), two Germans. All doing well but purchased at a local Petco. They've been in this 10 gal. bb, tank, for about three weeks and were fine even after my absence. Because of where I bought them I have treated with Metro, PraziPro, and some Kanamycin.

I would like to eventually release them into the planted tank, but again I have a bad history with this tank for reasons I am still trying to determine.

Real Name
    Casey

If a discus is a 10/10 on sensitivity a ram is probably a 7.5-8/10 They are sensitive to changes, poor water conditions and toxic nitrates. However, like you said Petco keeps them. So they're considered "easy."
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    Great info. Willie. How susceptible are they to ph crashes, even gradual ones? ...
    Back in those days, I only made weekly water changes. Never had any problem with the rams dying off then. Petco only buys fish from wholesalers, so these likely came from ponds in Florida where they're raised in brackish water.

Your best bet is to look around for a local aquarium club in north Jersey. You'll find hobbyists there who raise and spawn rams in water conditions similar to yours. That's how my rams got started.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Casey,
    If I'm ever looking for more I may contact you anyway.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

My inclination is to the idea that I may have some type of pathogen in this tank that is fairly well tolerated by the Discus and the various other species but maybe not as well tolerated by the Rams. I've seen some die offs in my Cardinals and Black Tetras that may be related but again these aren't always the longest lived species either. I hate to just throw meds. at a tank but am wondering if a standard Metro treatment would be beneficial. I have Vallisneria and Radican Swords in the tank and I'm not sure if this med. would affect my plants. It's been a long time since I've treated plants with meds. in addition to the my fish which are normally treated in a separate hospital tank.

It would be good to get them from a local breeder to see if anything changes as I normally get them from Petco's or lfs's and I don't think this helps them get a good start in life.

Not to beat a dead horse but my Rams repeatedly seem to go from thriving to dieing in what seems to be a very, very short space of time in an otherwise basically healthy tank. Again, truly baffling.55 gal 2.jpg

Registered Member SomeFin's Fishy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mark

Stu-

GBR's can be a little more difficult to keep than other species of fish, but not that hard. One thing that will really make a difference is that it really helps to know the parameters of the water in which the fish were hatched and raised. Many people read all the information that Rams need soft, acidic water. That is true of Rams in their native habitat. Most, if not all of the Rams available today have been hatched and raised for generations in totally different water conditions. Unless you specifically buy "wild caught" Rams, virtually all of the Rams available from Big-Box stores have more than likely been raised in farm ponds in South Florida (sometimes Malaysia). Unfortunately, those fish go through a punishing regimen of fasting, purging, treating, shipping, etc. before they reach the local fish store. They have been under so much stress, that I'm not surprised they don't do well once we get them home.

I'm not trying to bash Big-Box stores, but I have been to the fish farms and wholesalers in Florida and seen first-hand how the fish are kept, processed and shipped. It's amazing that they last as long as they do. Once they are finally received by local pet shops, they are kept in tanks that are connected to a central filtration system, which means all the fish are kept at the same temp, and are subjected to the same illness and stresses that all the other fish on that system are subject to. Rams, like discus, like their water warm (82-86 degrees) which is out of the comfort zone for most species of tropical fish. Since all the tanks in a pet shop are on a central system, they don't usually have the ability increase the temperature of individual tanks. The result is that Rams are kept at temps of around 76-78 degrees, which is out of their comfort zone, and since they are already weakened from the stress of shipping, they become more susceptible to illnesses and diseases such as Ich. When you see the fish in the pet shops, they look healthy, but actually, they may not be. Pet shops do not quarantine their fish when they get them. If you've ever been in Aquarium Adventure when fish arrive, they just pull the plastic bags out ot the shipping boxes and put them directly into the show tanks (they really don't have the ability to quarantine fish). By the time you stress them even further by bringing them home, they get sick and die. Sometimes in a few days, sometimes in a week or so. The bottom line is that it is probably nothing you have done to your fish, it's a problem with how the fish were captures, processed, shipped and maintained.

As was already pointed out, Rams are relatively short lived, but we have had rams that have lived for several years! The best thing you can do to help ensure a long, healthy life is to find a breeder that has hatched and raised their fish in water conditions that are very similar to yours. Also, I'm assuming that since you keep Discus, you already keep your water temp to around 84 degrees. Rams, like Discus, like their water on the warm side. It's not that the fish will not live at cooler temps, but they will not thrive. Especially after the shipping process, the fish have really been stressed. At lower temps, the stress begins to takes its toll and often the fish become more susceptible to secondary infections (especially Ich), will tend to hide, turn dark, stop eating, and will slowly fade away over a period of weeks. There are a number of things you can do to keep your new Rams healthy:

1) Buy your Rams from a reputable breeder, not a big box store. Honestly, if you saw what those fish go through just to get to the store, you would wonder how they survived at all.
    2) Keep the water in your quarantine tank between 82-85 degrees.
    3) Feed them live foods if you have them available, if not, frozen foods work almost as well. Newly hatched brine shrimp would be awesome!
    4) Buy your fish young (3-4 months old). At least that way you can be assured of having them for their maximum life span.
    5) Keep your substrate clean! Rams tend to hang out near the bottom of the water column, and they pick through all the "stuff" on the bottom. If that stuff includes decomposing food, that's going to be a problem for them.
    6) Keep up with your water changes!!!
    7) Keep up with your water changes!! - No, it's not a typo, it's just that important.
    8) I have found that they do not respond well to medications.

Don't give up on your Rams, they are beautiful fish and have really great personalities!! Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeFin's Fishy View Post
    Stu-

GBR's can be a little more difficult to keep than other species of fish, but not that hard. One thing that will really make a difference is that it really helps to know the parameters of the water in which the fish were hatched and raised. Many people read all the information that Rams need soft, acidic water. That is true of Rams in their native habitat. Most, if not all of the Rams available today have been hatched and raised for generations in totally different water conditions. Unless you specifically buy "wild caught" Rams, virtually all of the Rams available from Big-Box stores have more than likely been raised in farm ponds in South Florida (sometimes Malaysia). Unfortunately, those fish go through a punishing regimen of fasting, purging, treating, shipping, etc. before they reach the local fish store. They have been under so much stress, that I'm not surprised they don't do well once we get them home.

I'm not trying to bash Big-Box stores, but I have been to the fish farms and wholesalers in Florida and seen first-hand how the fish are kept, processed and shipped. It's amazing that they last as long as they do. Once they are finally received by local pet shops, they are kept in tanks that are connected to a central filtration system, which means all the fish are kept at the same temp, and are subjected to the same illness and stresses that all the other fish on that system are subject to. Rams, like discus, like their water warm (82-86 degrees) which is out of the comfort zone for most species of tropical fish. Since all the tanks in a pet shop are on a central system, they don't usually have the ability increase the temperature of individual tanks. The result is that Rams are kept at temps of around 76-78 degrees, which is out of their comfort zone, and since they are already weakened from the stress of shipping, they become more susceptible to illnesses and diseases such as Ich. When you see the fish in the pet shops, they look healthy, but actually, they may not be. Pet shops do not quarantine their fish when they get them. If you've ever been in Aquarium Adventure when fish arrive, they just pull the plastic bags out ot the shipping boxes and put them directly into the show tanks (they really don't have the ability to quarantine fish). By the time you stress them even further by bringing them home, they get sick and die. Sometimes in a few days, sometimes in a week or so. The bottom line is that it is probably nothing you have done to your fish, it's a problem with how the fish were captures, processed, shipped and maintained.

As was already pointed out, Rams are relatively short lived, but we have had rams that have lived for several years! The best thing you can do to help ensure a long, healthy life is to find a breeder that has hatched and raised their fish in water conditions that are very similar to yours. Also, I'm assuming that since you keep Discus, you already keep your water temp to around 84 degrees. Rams, like Discus, like their water on the warm side. It's not that the fish will not live at cooler temps, but they will not thrive. Especially after the shipping process, the fish have really been stressed. At lower temps, the stress begins to takes its toll and often the fish become more susceptible to secondary infections (especially Ich), will tend to hide, turn dark, stop eating, and will slowly fade away over a period of weeks. There are a number of things you can do to keep your new Rams healthy:

1) Buy your Rams from a reputable breeder, not a big box store. Honestly, if you saw what those fish go through just to get to the store, you would wonder how they survived at all.
    2) Keep the water in your quarantine tank between 82-85 degrees.
    3) Feed them live foods if you have them available, if not, frozen foods work almost as well. Newly hatched brine shrimp would be awesome!
    4) Buy your fish young (3-4 months old). At least that way you can be assured of having them for their maximum life span.
    5) Keep your substrate clean! Rams tend to hang out near the bottom of the water column, and they pick through all the "stuff" on the bottom. If that stuff includes decomposing food, that's going to be a problem for them.
    6) Keep up with your water changes!!!
    7) Keep up with your water changes!! - No, it's not a typo, it's just that important.
    8) I have found that they do not respond well to medications.

Don't give up on your Rams, they are beautiful fish and have really great personalities!! Hope this helps. Good Luck.
    Hey Mark thank you for taking the time for your well thought out response to my concerns, and frustastions, . I really love Rams and will keep trying. I will try to find a source because as you mentioned the big box stores and even some of the better lfs's where I commonly finds Rams just aren't set up to properly receive and care for them, as is also true for the often pitiful Discus you often see there.

At this time one of the GB's in my qt looks to be on the way out and as you've stated they really don't seem to respond well to meds. so I may lose one out of the four even though I am treating with Kanamycin. Unfortunately I expect to find it dead when I return home or shortly thereafter.

Rams are nice fish but even a bit more delicate than Discus and also don't seem to do well with sudden temperature swings during water changes so all of this needs, and your points, need to be taken into account.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I don't bother treating Rams anymore for internal problems, it is hardly ever successful. They will often show improvement for a few days and then crash at the end.

I agree with Mark, IME you need to get them from a good source. I would never buy Rams from an LFS.

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    I don't bother treating Rams anymore for internal problems, it is hardly ever successful. They will often show improvement for a few days and then crash at the end.

I agree with Mark, IME you need to get them from a good source. I would never buy Rams from an LFS.
    All that glitters isn't gold, even Gold Rams from an lfs! (lol)