ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Thin but tall aquarium for discuses?

Registered Member

Default Thin but tall aquarium for discuses?

Good day.

How would an aquarium that is 3.3 feet (100 cm) long, 15.5 inches (40 cm) wide and 25 inches (64 cm) high, 65 gallons (244 liters), do as a discus tank?

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Thin but tall aquarium for discuses?

Depends on

1. how many discus do you plan to keep?
    2. what size discus?
    3. gravel or barebottom?
    4. planted, bare or just wood?
    5. how many other fish?
    6. how often do you expect to change water and how much will you change each time?

Tall tanks like that are more difficult to clean. The height usually means less circulation at the bottom.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mervin

It is doable,but factors as mentioned above play a roll.Wider is always better than tall because the surface area is greater and more O2 is able to get into the water column from barometric pressure.

Real Name
    Casey

I have a 32 inch tall display. It works magically.. as stated there can be a "low flow issue" at the bottom of the tank. I fixed that by placing my UV sterilizer at the bottom. Unless you're of course going to use a sump system. Then you may have to get a spray bar.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Registered Member

Thanks for your answers and questions.

To answer you Willie:

1. how many discus do you plan to keep?
    5-6 as per the 10 gal per fish rule of thumb.

2. what size discus?
    Get them as juvies/young adults and grow them out in this tank.

3. gravel or barebottom?
    Sand. Thinking about JBL Manado as I don't really care for the light bottomed look.

4. planted, bare or just wood?
    Somewhat planted with wood. Somewhere between this: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5148/...00802bd1_b.jpg and this: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...Medium/567.jpg

5. how many other fish?
    School of Cardinals and a few GBRs.

6. how often do you expect to change water and how much will you change each time?
    I want to setup a drip system that drips a gallon per hour 24/7. http://angelfish.net/DripSystemcalc.php says that's 31% WC a day and 93% in a weeks time. Plus I'd vacuum twice a week which I guess would give 20-40% WC each time. And there is of course also an external filter.

Could the low bottom flow issue be addressed by letting the external filter intake sit low in the tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

4 feet tanks are ideal...I raised 4 discus in 56 G column..2.5 ft X1.5 ft X2 feet ...my fish have grown well all 6 + in a year...but I think they are crave for some more personal space...I think you will be fine with 3.3 don't go more than 5 discus though.

i like Deep (18") tanks.. anything less seems tight..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

IMG_0029.jpgIMG_0011.JPG my tank , 65 gallon. I use two canister filters, both Eheim pro 4 350's with pre-filter sponges. And one power head with a sponge filter.
    One of the canister filters is plummed through a DIY reverse flow under gravel filter made of 1/2" cpvc. Flow is constant through my gravel /substrate.

Not saying what I am doing is right or wrong. Just that this is what I am currently doing. I have five 4" Discus and a few tank mates. Crystal clear water , and all seem happy.
    Last edited by Mark N; 02-24-2017 at 01:21 AM.