AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How to enhance discus color

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Keshan Abeyewardene

Lightbulb How to enhance discus color

Hi All,
    I have been in the discus hobby for about an year now & would really love to get some advice on how to enhance color of discus fish.

I feed them pellets, freeze dried tubiflex worms & frozen blood.

Any advice on what i should do.

PS. i dont give them beef heart.

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: How to enhance discus color

Discus Bio-Gold granules or TetraColor Tropical Fish Food Granules. Look for commercial dry foods that contain astaxanthin or krill or spirulina.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

background and gravel color makes a big difference. you can try adding white paper at the bottom if it is bare bottom and your stand is dark or transparent (those metal stands without top).

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Discus Bio-Gold granules or TetraColor Tropical Fish Food Granules. Look for commercial dry foods that contain astaxanthin or krill or spirulina.
    I've started using a lot of Tetra discus granules and really like how clean the water is after feeding. I came across this site today though, that grades Tetra granules as crap! Most Tetra food gets the worst ranking on this site. The ranking seems well argued for as well.

http://www.oscarfish.com/1-star-food...-analysis.html

This makes me wonder how good an investment my huge bucket of Tetra granules actually was...

From what I have read Tetra bits, prima, color and discus granules are all the same.
    Last edited by LoGeek; 02-23-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

if you are feeding granulated food, it is strongly recommended that you soak them in water for like 5 mins, soften them a little and you will avoid a lot of health issues...I have been feeding them for years...they are good...best value for money for your grown fish....

for smaller discus I guess BH mix, FDBW and granules is the way to go...

Good led lighting

Real Name
    Matt

Agree with Ryan that lighting makes a very big difference. AZOO make some good Discus colour foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Good led lighting
    +1 with Ryan and Matt too. I try not to use enhancers on my fish since I have yellows and a white that I am trying to keep pure. I did a lot of research (I am still no expert) Al helped a lot- most commercially made foods have some kind of enhancers. However like the guys above said the right lighting really makes them pop. I took off a pretty new blue and white based LED and bought a Current Satellite that has a spectrum of colors you can customize and the difference was amazing. (Ryan has the same one) Like night and day. So healthy fish from a good breeder, well balanced diet and good lighting and you should be glowing in no time.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by LoGeek View Post
    I've started using a lot of Tetra discus granules and really like how clean the water is after feeding. I came across this site today though, that grades Tetra granules as crap! Most Tetra food gets the worst ranking on this site. The ranking seems well argued for as well.

http://www.oscarfish.com/1-star-food...-analysis.html

This makes me wonder how good an investment my huge bucket of Tetra granules actually was...

From what I have read Tetra bits, prima, color and discus granules are all the same.
    I recently started feeding the tetra color bits. I read a lot of people here say it is a quality food. My fish love them and no mess left over

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I recently started feeding the tetra color bits. I read a lot of people here say it is a quality food. My fish love them and no mess left over
    Yes many people here recommend them. But according to the link I provided they are really bad.