ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: France Discus Show 2016 REPORTAGE

Default France Discus Show 2016 REPORTAGE

Hello!

I share a report i did about the France Discus Show 2016.

You'll find all winners and many pictures dedicated to this show. Many hobbyists breeders participates and won trophees.

Hope you'll enjoy your reading!

http://www.fanatik-discus.fr/en/2015...w-2016-arvert/

Salle Arvert France Discus Show 2016.jpg

Yann
    My website Fanatik-discus

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: France Discus Show 2016 REPORTAGE

Thanks For Sharing!!
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

My pleasure Akili!

I was a little bit late to publish it.... but i'm happy you enjoyed!

Regards
    Yann

thanks for posting link, good article. i would not have found it had you not posted it. i agree with you about leaving a wild category in the show.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

fun read, pretty fish, neat to hear about the judging and what its based on. never heard of a discus double chin before! and one of my red melons is missing a ray on the front of its dorsal fin too. i always thought he looked a little bald but couldnt really out my finger on it.

Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    thanks for posting link, good article. i would not have found it had you not posted it. i agree with you about leaving a wild category in the show.
    All my articles are available in english too, some subscribe by mail to receive a message that a new article is online.

About wilds, in my report i just asked questions... my own opinion is mitigate. I love wilds, but the problem is, in some shows they are not enough numerous to have their own category... So i understand the organisators.

But in an other hand it is interesting to always keep in mind our roots... And those animals are so beautiful...

Problem also is their judging system and many contestation arround this...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    fun read, pretty fish, neat to hear about the judging and what its based on. never heard of a discus double chin before! and one of my red melons is missing a ray on the front of its dorsal fin too. i always thought he looked a little bald but couldnt really out my finger on it.
    Cool!

If you are interesting in, i wrote 7 articles about this kind of subject. http://www.fanatik-discus.fr/en/cate...dentification/

I plane to continue this work for next Paris Discus Show helding in April 2017 during a conference.

Happy you enjoy your reading

Regards
    Yann

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg Biggiani

thanks for sharing, I am always trying to find articles on discus shows and this was a really quick and easy to see pictures along with some commentary on the top fish in each category!

-GVB

Hi GVB,

Thank you.

This is a subject i'm use to write about. If you have some time, you will find more articles about shows in "show" section.

When i join the jury, i also try to explain different point of view and generaly people like this because it helps to understand some decision and so on.

You can also ask questions at the end of each articles, i always answer.

Regards
    Yann

Real Name
    Geoff

Yes! Thank you for sharing.
    This Discus is amazing!
    Discusfr.JPG

Real Name
    Rick

2eme-red-Arvert-2016-White-red-Francesco-Penazzi.jpg

Any more pictures of this fish, and any additional info? Judging off the pictures (and I know that doesn't tell the whole story) I liked this the best and thought it could have made a good case for BIS.

I am jealous of the great participation with the huge turnout of hobbyist fish. Were the bulk of these entries bred by the hobbyist, or just purchased?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    2eme-red-Arvert-2016-White-red-Francesco-Penazzi.jpg

Any more pictures of this fish, and any additional info? Judging off the pictures (and I know that doesn't tell the whole story) I liked this the best and thought it could have made a good case for BIS.

I am jealous of the great participation with the huge turnout of hobbyist fish. Were the bulk of these entries bred by the hobbyist, or just purchased?

Hello nc0gnet0,

Yes sure.

I agree with you, as i explained in my report, it was my favorite fish in the show, or should i say the one that impress me the most. The problem was this fish couldn't compete for the BIS because it doesn't won the 1st place of its category.

In this contest (France Discus Show wich is different from the Paris show held next month) the notation system award most the "shape criteria" and this white red loose points because of it... 6.71 points vs 7 points/10 for the 1st in red.

I send here an other picture of why it loose points below. The "double chin" is something becoming too important on show fish... And step by step the judges (in this show) low the points on "shape" criteria because they want breeders focus a little bit their selection about it...

I don't know if you remember my report about the World Discus Show of Napoli 2015 Italy? i send you pictures too below,in some show we start to see to "over type" and French organisators want we, as judge have a look on it...

For my vote it was my 1st in red category. But the average notations of all judges (7 persons) result the 2 nd place for this fish.

I think this fish also deserve a better average note on the "eyes" criteria because according to its variety, the color was very good (in addition to shape and size of it).

Now For Hobbyist participation, they were both, some grow fish they buy, and some originate from their own reproduction. This is very interesting thing according to me... I really believe that we have to help hobbyist to understand shows, doing their breeding program etc... Because in my opinion, it is a (big) key of the interest of discus competitions.

That is why i wrote (i don't know if you remember it) about my view of discus classification, notation system, and standard. ( http://www.fanatik-discus.fr/en/cate...dentification/ )
    More the people will be informed on how their fish will be evaluate and how to enter the animal more we will have interest... and more we will have hobbyists... and more we will have interest in show... etc.

In two month i will publish an article in an Aquaristik french magazine to help hobbyist (i hope) to manage their tiny breeding rooms. I saw you are the president of NADA in your signature, ask Fred Pruneau, if i'm not wrong he is part of NADA too and i'm regularly in touch with him via facebook about those subjects.

Im in touch with many hobbyists and many professionals too, many are passionates; if we listen to them and understand the whole subject we can create a system really good for everybody. For this we have to think "Discus" and only "Discus"...

For the France Discus Show, this is the way they follow, step by step (because it is a new approach that need to be explained) but it works! look at the enteries... For next edition, i would like the organisator go in a new way, a next step... Publish ALL the notation system, all explanation of what exactly will be the rules before the show.
    Nobody did it before in the discus history and as i present them, and i'm sure they will have more participation demand in 2018... (they will change for Cognac city in 2018).

I think we will follow more the things i present in the first 7 articles i already did. Now i'm working on the following to present it in Paris. Step by step lol

Hope my english is not too bad, and you feel what i humbly want to express because english is not my native language!

Yann

2nd red France Discus Show 2016.jpg

Championnat du monde des discus red spotted Defect.jpg

Championnat du monde des discus red spotted Defect3.jpg

Championnat du monde des discus red spotted Defect.jpg

Here you can see an other picture of the white red.

Also, you can see some "over type" double chin exemples seen in show.

Yann

Real Name
    Fred

Hey Yann nice to see here on simply.

Yann and I share the same mother tongue, and a love for Red Discus !!! New Article... gonna have to order that issue. Loved your article on the Red Discus that was published last year on Aquamag !!

I'm still working on my Heckel project, but I'm going back to breeding Red Discus, not wilds but hybrids, my goal is to breed for my pleasure, but also to show. Yup that's your fault Yann, you did challenge us ...How I'm going to bring Discus to the states is another hurdle, but not impossible, I know some Canadian Betta Breeder have shown their Bettas in the US so its possible.

I think that Hobbyist can produce great discus, the key is to concentrate on one strain. Yann has done great things with is Red's, you really need to take a look at his "my fish" section to see the evolution from 2010 to today. I've decided on my strain, just need to finish building the Discus Room. I'm interested to see your article and compare it to what I've decided to do and go about. I really believe that the success of our hobby relies on the hobby breeder. They are the ones able to share experience and knowledge on our Discus. I think that in many case, breeding for show could be a different approach but also aim and reducing the high turnover do we often see, or at least that I see up here in Eastern Canada. We are a few up here going for that Route. We do have our NADA convention in 2018, I missed attending last years, but I will definitely be there in 2018 without fish, but it will be a chance to meet in person others who may share my view, plus THE SHOW will be there I have a couple of friends here who share the same view as me and will be making the trip. I will share what I'm doing here on simply, just like the heckel project... Yes I haven't updated my tread lately, but they are just doing what heckels do best... just swim, eat and get water changes.

Cheers,

Fred

Hey Fred!

Thank you for your kind comments!

Infact, to interest many persons, i think our show should be a real balance between professionals and hobbyits... Both need each other.

Wish the best for NADA convention! i always have an eyes on constructive point of views... Good ideas are everywhere.

Yann

Real Name
    Fred

I agree with you Yann, the pro breeders must be at the show. The aim is not to bring down the level of quality, but to maintain or even go higher. Can an amateur go head to head with a pro ? Not the way they do it. We simply do not have the resources, but by concentrating on one strain I think we can give them a run for their money.

Fred