AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus not eating ? Orange Peel as an Appetite Stimulant

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus not eating ? Orange Peel as an Appetite Stimulant

Good stuff Paul, Keith please keep us updated on your findings.

Real Name
    Eric

I have a tank of discus recovering from gill burns. I just threw a peel in the tank, they were certainly interested... I'll share my observations, although I will say off the bat that they were already on the mend.

At the very least, its a healthy snack for me!

Real Name
    Eric

Well, I can confirm that it makes my tank water smell much nicer. I know fish have a sense of smell (olfaction), maybe it is the smell of the orange terpenes that stimulates the appetite, or some sort of aroma therapy. Just a couple of initial thoughts.

Real Name
    Eric

Just following up here. I don't think my situation was ideal for a controlled experiment, but I have to say that I will probably use this in the future when my discus are not eating or behaving normally, or when I get a shipment of new discus.

Like I said initially, I think my fish were on the mend before I added orange peel, but the recovery definitely accelerated after adding the orange peel. I can't conclusively claim causation, but it seemed more than a coincidence. Their appetite is fully recovered now, when they had been only nibbling food before the orange peel. Their activity level went up significantly, which I am more confident was positively effected by the orange peel. They are interacting and energetic, even moreso than before the incident.

I am a skeptic so I won't make any firm conclusion based on my single experience, but I think this could be a useful tool. Like I said, at the very least, it makes the water smell fantastic. I used a cementine and I actually removed it after a few hours because I was concerned how strongly it affected the smell of the tank. Then I saw the positive behavioral changes and added it back.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Has anyone found any further info as to the size tank and the amount that should be added.

I have been intrigued by this article since it was posted and glad to see some folks trying it out. It seems like it can't hurt so I guess why not right?

Eric, you just added one full peel? What size tank is yours? Did it go into a sump or direct to the tank?

Real Name
    Eric

I added one full peel of a medium size orange to my 120 gallon tank.

I wouldn't go so far to say it can't hurt... There are a lot of powerful terpenes in orange oil, of which most is in the peel. I got nervous when my water started smelling like Billy May's Orange Glo However, it seems like the fish really like it.

Real Name
    Eric

I just cleaned my canister filters... When I opened them.... Oranges. My canister filters smell like oranges.

Registered Member

Hi all, just want to share my own observations about adding orange peels to the discus tank after reading this thread.

To begin with, I have 7 wild discus and they had been with me for about 3 weeks. I feed them frozen beef heart (frommy LFS). 2 of them were abit 'slower' than the rest in taking beefheart as such I decided to try the orange peels.

I have a 500+ litres tank with a sump. I added a full peel of an orange in the sump for about 4 hours each time.

After about 30 mins, I would observed heightened activities and alot of flaring of the fins. I am not really sure if it was the orange peel or something else.

I did not have the courage to leave the peels overnight in the sump overnight. Perhaps I would try a longer period this weekend when I can be at home whole day to observe.
    Last edited by SGDiscus; 03-08-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Good morning all, I have been very intrigued by this idea since I read it and I decided to give it a go this morning with a group of wilds. Most of them have voracious appetites, I have 2 that I feel are lagging and I am hoping ti spur them on. I went with peel in a 95 gallon system, I plan to do a big WC tonight so I will let it sit all day and observe and then go back fresh tonight and maybe try again tomorrow...

I will report back with the observations here for all who are interested.

Registered Member

Very interesting

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

I tossed it in around 10 AM. I used one full peel into my sump... 4hrs in, I must say the fish seem lively and active as ever. It is so hard when you do an experiment such as this because you over-analyze I think, it is just human nature.

Have people found the benefits or juice of the skin wears off after X amount of time? I wonder if I should increase or take this out and add new? I may leave it in and do a WC this evening and try again in the am.

Seems to be OK so far...

Real Name
    Matt

Maybe it is like marijuana to fish. They get the munchies and go looking for 7/11.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Quote Originally Posted by Mattgoanna View Post
    Maybe it is like marijuana to fish. They get the munchies and go looking for 7/11.
    You may be on to something here Matt! Lol... Maybe that will be the next experiment to try, toss some of that in! lol...

I did a big WC last night and let the system run clean overnight. I was worried about adding more peel and not being around to see the effects. This morning I threw in another big peel and waited about an hour and a half to feed. Yesterday they got their usual flakes and pellets. Today, I upped the anti, I broke up some Blood worms and some FDBW and my discus became fierce eating beasts! I have never seen such voracious appetites from these guys. I have a "runt" who is back of the pack and a big melow boy who was a slow eater, even those two ATTACKED!

I don't know, I may be hooked on this orange peel madness....!!!!

Real Name
    Eric

I am glad to see that others had the same experience. The effect seemed very clear and positive to me as well, but without knowing why it works, it is hard to trust my eyes.

The cannabis comparison would explain the increase in appetite, but not the increase in activity! lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    I am glad to see that others had the same experience. The effect seemed very clear and positive to me as well, but without knowing why it works, it is hard to trust my eyes.

The cannabis comparison would explain the increase in appetite, but not the increase in activity! lol
    I was about to say they made need a tv with some cartoons and a sofa if you try the cannabis test! Lol

I think I may keep up with this and see how it goes. I usually do about 3 water changes a week, I was thinking 8-10 hrs of a peel on water change day could be a nice additive. Based on what I am seeing thus far, it isn't hurting what so ever.

Kinda facinating to me, if someone told me a month ago I'd be adding orange peels to my discus tank I would think they were in the midst of their own cannibas experinemt!!!! LOL

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast