AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Pics of my tank and a question

Registered Member scrappinjaime's Avatar

Default Pics of my tank and a question

Here is my quarantine tank with three new beauties from Kenny. The others are my established tank and baby's from Kenny.

My question, why is my qt tank so nice and bright and the other seems yellow. My hubby said it's because of the background and because I put flourish in it and because it's established. I have two bright lights on it.

Sorry they are upside down.

IMG_2777.jpg
    IMG_2778.jpgIMG_2778.jpgIMG_2779.jpgIMG_2776.jpg

Default Re: Pics of my tank and a question

Nice additions Jaime! Your tank is beautiful. I am no expert but I have some ideas- The first thing though is I have learned here that discus are more comfortable in dimmer lighting so your main display tank is perfect as it is. Also the new guys in QT may feel more secure in lights out the first few days.

I am just guessing it is a number of things- the distance of the light from the top to bottom (bigger tank=bigger distance=dimmer light. Also the kind of light you are using on the two tanks are they the same? One last guess is that the background is absorbing some light?

There has been a lot of threads on lighting lately. Check out Kyla's thread:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...recomendations

Maybe with one of these options you can get the color effects you are seeing in the QT but with less bright white light on them. Just a thought...

Anyway they look beautiful and healthy (of course coming from Kenny!). Can't wait to see them in the main tank. It is so hard to wait isn't it?
    Last edited by Jenene; 02-24-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Eric

Hi Jane. It could be the color temperature of the bulbs. Copy / pasted this from Google.

The three primary types of color temperature for light bulbs are: Soft White (2700K – 3000K), Bright White/Cool White (3500K – 4100K), and Daylight (5000K – 6500K). The higher the Degrees Kelvin, the whiter the color temperature.

The lower the temp (2700k) the more blue the light is, the higher the more yellow (6500k)

Real Name
    Dale

IMO its a combination of different lights and light distance, depth and volume of water, the background, your addition of Flourish which is brown, and tannins leaching out of the driftwood.

Another thing I noticed is the nitrogen bubbles in your quarantine tank, usually indicates colder or new water. Do you age your water? Do you ensure the water change water is same temp and perimeters as the tank?
    Last edited by Yom; 02-24-2017 at 01:45 PM.
    100 discus display * (2) 55 discus breeders * (4) 29 breeder tanks/fry tanks*
    (2) 55 discus grow out * 40 Hex discus * 265 saltwater predator tank *
    150 saltwater FOWLR * 75 gal reef * 20 coral frag

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Hi Jane. It could be the color temperature of the bulbs. Copy / pasted this from Google.

The lower the temp (2700k) the more blue the light is, the higher the more yellow (6500k)
    That is backwards and incorrect. 2700K is more on the yellow side, 6500K is more "blue"

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    That is backwards and incorrect. 2700K is more on the yellow side, 6500K is more "blue"
    That is correct.

I'd say it's either the bulb color temp like stated, or the sand reflecting more yellowish light to your eyes. A bright bare tank with silicone should always look more blue than a tank with sand.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Eric

Ooops! Thanks for the correction guys.

Real Name
    Willie

I think it's because you have your tank upside down... Try turning them around.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.