ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Doubt about acclimatizing properly

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Question Doubt about acclimatizing properly

Hi guys, i'm new in the forum.
    Im Eric from Córdoba (Spain). I've had a lot of different species during these years, but never Discus. Now that I can, I just bought a new acuarium to keep an try to breed this wonderful fish.
    Although I have a little doubt. Discus are suposed to be keeped in water with a pH range close to 6, even though they can live fine with higher pH. The water of my tap is around 7.something? (check the picture below), when my tank is finally cycled and I bring home my new fishes, how do I know if I can just open the bags and take them carefully with the hands and put them into my tank or if I have to aclimate them with a drop system?
    How high can be the gap between the water pH from the fish shop and my tank to just put them into the tank without hurting them in anyway?
    Thanks in advance
    photo_2017-02-24_09-52-32.jpg
    Last edited by ericvogt; 02-24-2017 at 04:54 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Doubt about acclimatizing properly

Hi Eric, I would suggest the drop and plop where you open the bag, drain the water from the bag while leaving the fish in the bag, walk to the tank and ease the fish from the bag into the water by tilting the bag allowing the fish to ease into the water. Generally the ph will drop in the bag due to the fish producing ammonia. Once the ph drops belong 6 it renders the ammonia harmless to the fish. However once the bag is opened to the air, the air entering the bag causes the ph to raise and makes the ammonia toxic to the fish. So do not allow air to enter the bag. Also fish handle a raise in the ph easily. It's a drop in ph which can be harmful to the fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Thanks Pat, in the case I'm buying the fish in my local town I should do the same? (probably i'm not gonna do that but... knowledge doesn't take place hehe)
    I'm a little bit scared, this animals are very expensive and I want to do things right.
    The other day I went to my local fish store to see which varietis they have and the owner was telling me over and over that these fish are too difficult, that the water from here is totally useless. He told me to buy a lot of Things he was selling. Except for the discus, he was not interested in selling the fishes, because I asked him if he could make a custom order for me with the fishes I want when my tank was ready, but he said no.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That how I would do it Eric even if the fish are local. Many times LFS will recommend stuff for your tank and fish and most of it is not needed. After all that is how they make their money. If you question whether you need something just ask here. Sorry your local guy is not willing to work with you.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

thank you very much.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Hi, I want to tell you guys that I already have some fishes. Just a small video. Thanks for the help.

Real Name
    Filip

Nice checkerboards you got there Eric .
    Did you bought just 2 discus ? The minimum number of discus for succesfull keeping is 5-6 discus , otherwise you are risking aggression and illness .
    Do you have info.on how old and how big are they ?

What size is the tank you plan to keep your discus in ? Is it a community , or discus only ? Do you plan on Barebottom or planted setup ?

I notice from your Video that your water current is too strong for them and they look like they have hard time swimming against it. Try to lower your flow with less GPH filter , or make your self a bigger spraybar to even out the water distribution .
    Discus prefer slow moving water.

Good luck with your first discus Eric , and enjoy their beauty .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Nice checkerboards you got there Eric .
    Did you bought just 2 discus ? The minimum number of discus for succesfull keeping is 5-6 discus , otherwise you are risking aggression and illness .
    Do you have info.on how old and how big are they ?

What size is the tank you plan to keep your discus in ? Is it a community , or discus only ? Do you plan on Barebottom or planted setup ?

I notice from your Video that your water current is too strong for them and they look like they have hard time swimming against it. Try to lower your flow with less GPH filter , or make your self a bigger spraybar to even out the water distribution .
    Discus prefer slow moving water.

Good luck with your first discus Eric , and enjoy their beauty .
    Yeah I know. These two were at the store together. They have more at the store but not very good looking. They just fight a little the first day. I'm planning to add more but there are very expensive here and hard to find.
    They are 5-6 month old.
    The tank is barebottom and the size between the sump and the tanks is 350l approx.
    I thought there was too much water flow, but they even swim in front of the water output... I don't know why they were swimming like that in the video, usually they swim ok. The small sleeps just right next to the water output.
    Thanks for all the info. I will inform you when I have some news

Hi Eric!
    Welcome to the hobby! And to SimplyDiscus!

Discus are suposed to be keeped in water with a pH range close to 6, even though they can live fine with higher pH. The water of my tap is around 7.something?
    Though Discus do very well in waters that have a pH in the 6's .They really do fine in the 7's . Even wilds. Both my wilds and domestics are in my tap water with a pH of 7.6-7.8. My wilds even spawn in it...though my hatch rates in this water are not as high as in soft ro water.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Though Discus do very well in waters that have a pH in the 6's .They really do fine in the 7's . Even wilds. Both my wilds and domestics are in my tap water with a pH of 7.6-7.8. My wilds even spawn in it...though my hatch rates in this water are not as high as in soft ro water.
    Thanks, these two are looking good.
    The big one has grown 1cm or so in just a few weeks.
    The small one is eating and showing more colors every day, I hope he gets as beautiful as the big one.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

just some pics with the 2 new babies