AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Durso to Herbie on 75 gallon

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

Default Durso to Herbie on 75 gallon

so I am seriously considering changing my Durson to a Herbie system. Some background: The tank is being cycled (fishess, see my 75 gallon fishless cycle post) and is in the same area that my wife tele-works. Although I think the tank is pretty quiet with minimum to no slurping sounds from the durso, my wife still wants it a bit quieter. The return pump is VERY quiet (Sicce brand)so I have been reading the herbie method as being quite and providing an emergency alternative with the addition drain. So, my tank has an internal overflow with a 1" and 3/4 " bulkheads. Currently the 1" is my drain and the 3/4 " is the return. I am thinking of converting the 3/4 " to the emergency drain and plumbing the return to the back of the tank. (I will not attempt to drill another hole...... )

So I called bulk reef supply about the situation and they concurred that with my set up using the 3/4 " as the emergency drain would be better than converting the 1" to the emergency drain do to many things including restricted flow.....

What do all of you think? Thanks in advance

P.S. It would be easy for me to do as I have all the parts on hand and the applicable PVC gate valves.

Registered Member

Default Re: Durso to Herbie on 75 gallon

I am sure you will get different opinions on this, but I will go first. I would use the 3/4 as my main with any overflow and emergency going to the 1 inch. If the main get blocked you know the 1 inch can handle the overflow and you will hear it and know to clean the main. If you do it the other way and the main gets blocked you run the risk of the 3/4 not being able to handle the total and you could flood the main tank. What do you think?
    Ron

Real Name
    Jason

Can you make a photo or draw a picture?

I think you have a weir with 3/4" and 1" holes? The 1" hole is presently a Durso. My suggestion would be to plumb your return (because that is mandatory). Then temporarily cap your 1" pipe and turn your return on full to see if the 3/4" drain can handle it. If it can, you can do whatever you like. Nothing beats a physical test.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

Nice suggestion. I am not sure how to tell what size the weir is.....is there a way to tell? The tank is a Deep Blue 75 gallon reef ready

Real Name
    Jason

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking?

If you're asking about volume: You can measure it and do the math LxBxH. Or you can fill it and drain it into a measuring container. But neither measurement will tell you how much will drain into your sump because there is the water above the weir height from the tank too.

If you're asking about the diameter of the holes: You can push a bit of paper over the holes and make an indent in the paper, and then measure the indent on the paper. That way you can safely order bulk heads and PVC.

Is that what you want to know?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

I'm asking based on you previous reply which was.... "I think you have a weir with 3/4" and 1" holes?".....I read and thought your reply meant I had a weir with combs that accommodated 3/4" flow and 2 x 1 " holes......now that I re-read it I see you meant something else.....sorry for the confusion. Be patient with the new guy

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

A 3/4 inch pipe under full siphon [gate valued pipe in hebie] will take pretty well any flow. I'd just to ensure the 1" pipe can take the full return flow in an emergency situation. Also 3/4" fittings are cheaper and there are more on the siphon side of things.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Also you can find every piece of equipment at home depot or menards rather than an aquarium store.

Another vote here for the 3/4 being the siphon main drain. Test it for sure, but for a 75 return pump a gate valve will be pretty far closed anyway to restrict the water. Siphon flows a lot of water!

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-...method-basics/

Don't know if you have seen this. This is a great article on the Herbie

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

Great article Ryan and thx! I made the conversion last night and the difference in the sound is night and day! Totally glad I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggz123 View Post
    Great article Ryan and thx! I made the conversion last night and the difference in the sound is night and day! Totally glad I did it.
    Good to hear that's my plan for my sump whenever I have time to get it stand built lol

Real Name
    Eric

I just redid my sump yesterday with a herbie. Zero sound, at all. I followed all guidance in the article linked by Ryan in this thread. With that article, anyone can do it. Definitely the way to go if you have two bulkheads in your overflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    I just redid my sump yesterday with a herbie. Zero sound, at all. I followed all guidance in the article linked by Ryan in this thread. With that article, anyone can do it. Definitely the way to go if you have two bulkheads in your overflow.
    Good to hear Eric. I've read that over and over. I'd love to get my sump going just haven't found the time for the stand build. Sump is the easy part