Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    I may be able to be bought, PM me.
    With Scotch I bet
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Default Re: How's NADA?

[QUOTE=RogueDiscus;

But LA or SF might draw in more west coast folks.[/QUOTE]

Back around 1995 DSG (Discus Study Group)was interested in SF, we even checked out locations and
    decided Holiday Inn, one breeder offer a $10, 000
    for best in show, but locals was low. Now the year
    2007 the ACA had their convention with NADA in
    Sacramento.

Cliff

CLIFF

Real Name
    Rick

We will have some announcements in regards to the show location (city), an upcoming raffle (next few weeks) and even a surprise contest real soon, so stay tuned!!

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    It is not just a discus thing. It is all kinds of aquatics. The Northeast has always been when it comes to attendance of aquatic clubs and meetings. Just a fact. The Chicaga area is also very strong. A lot of those NE folks attended the Show in Austin and that is quite a haul for them. Not sure why the West Coast doesn't participate more in these kind of things but they don't. If we had a strong local group on the West Coast that wanted to commit to running a Show they would certainly be considered but up to now there hasn't been anyone step up.
    I suppose California has a much larger Marine Aquarium thing. However, every aquarium show i've ever been to in CA, even the frag swaps are always chocked full of people. I think that the West Coast folks go to the shows less because just to fly to the east coast is $400, not counting anything additional. Typically your attendance is going to come from people who can drive. Just a fact.

As far as boots on the ground. I totally understand that is extremely important, especially considering most of the NADA officers are in the Eastern US.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Real Name
    Steve

I get the impression the location is picked for 2018. Actually seems like a quick selection compared to what I remember about the Chicago announcement. I think if we wanted one on the west coast, that would be something to start thinking about and researching for the future.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Lido View Post
    As far as boots on the ground. I totally understand that is extremely important, especially considering most of the NADA officers are in the Eastern US.
    The term "boots on the ground" really doesn't have anything to do with NADA officers, it has to do with people "local" to where the show is being held to do the physical work. I put local in quotes because I was probably an hour and a half from where the show was held but was still one of the boots on the ground folks. What it takes to put on a show is one or two local people willing to do most of the pre-show requirements, a crew of ten give or take to build show racks; and about the same number for set-up, teardown, making airport runs, managing the tank area, manning the reception desk, etc. The NADA board members more supervise to make sure everything gets done before and during the show, pay the bills, and pitch in during the show as they like. I only became a board member because we were hosting the show and I thought it would make things easier, though in honesty it probably didn't make any difference.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    I get the impression the location is picked for 2018. Actually seems like a quick selection compared to what I remember about the Chicago announcement. I think if we wanted one on the west coast, that would be something to start thinking about and researching for the future.
    In all fairness, the Chicago show had a bit of a delayed announcement and not so much that this years choice was quick. But yes, if you have a group that wanted to host a show, it's never to early to start planning. Also, while not required, it is strongly recommended that a group that wanted to host a show had been to at least one.

-Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Ryan

Any hints as to where? I thought i knew, but my post looks to have been removed.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Real Name
    Casey

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Strong, not so subtle hint
    Wink Wink hint hint, Southern California is beautiful all year around. We additionally have a VERY GREAT aquatics/club community in this area. (it also happens to be the center of the international shipping world for live fish from Asia) cough cough. I MAY or may not know some people who would help to get things working. cough cough 2020, Orange County, CA cough cough!

Did i mention it is a fantastic location for family vacations?
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Someone from Southern California has to step up and say "I (Emphasis on I) want to run the NADA Show in Southern California and I am ready to submit a bid to NADA detailing how I can make it happen and here is the group that is backing me......." . If you want the Show in Southern Cali then find that person.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

We will have some announcements in regards to the show location (city), an upcoming raffle (next few weeks) and even a surprise contest real soon, so stay tuned!!

-Rick
    So how many weeks do you consider to be a few, Rick? How much longer must we "stay tuned"?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    So how many weeks do you consider to be a few, Rick? How much longer must we "stay tuned"?
    Liz,

I can give you the general area, it will be in or around New Jersey. We are still in the early stages of negotiations with a few Hotels, so I cannot give you a definitive site just yet.

-Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Liz,

I can give you the general area, it will be in or around New Jersey. We are still in the early stages of negotiations with a few Hotels, so I cannot give you a definitive site just yet.

-Rick
    NEW JERSEY!!

Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Ryan

______ shore!
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Real Name
    Ryan

The host is Awesome.