ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not all dechlorinator's are created equal

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Not all dechlorinator's are created equal

Quote Originally Posted by gators111 View Post
    Just use this. Much cheaper and just as effective. https://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Aquatic...um+thiosulfate
    Actually, that's not accurate. Sodium thiosulfate will bind chlorine. It does the same if your tapwater contains chloramine, which is true for just about every municipality these days. But, sodium thiosulfate breaks chloramine into chlorine and ammonia, binds the chlorine and release the ammonia. If your pH is near neutral or acidic, this is not a problem. If it's not (if your water is hard or requires a water softener), the ammonia released is toxic. Eventually your nitrogen cycle will get rid of it, but you're essentially adding ammonia with every water change.

If you really want cheap sodium thiosulfate, it's sold in hobby photography stores as "hypo" or "fixer". Same chemical. You can also buy it in crystalline form and blend 1 kg/gallon of water.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mervin

I have been using sodium thiosulfate in the crystal form for the past 15 years.Our municipality uses chlorine only which is perfect for this neutralizer.The chemist I bought it from says not to mix up a large volume at once.Apparently,it says much more stable and less stable after mixed for long periods.It is very safe and I use one crystal per 5-10 gal. of water.A Kg.(2.2 lbs) costs about $20 here in Canada and it'll last for several years as long as you keep it in an air tight,dark,dry place.

Registered Member

Because it treats 3 times the amount of water for a dollar more. And is only sodium thiasulfate (dechlorinator) and not all the unneccesary additives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12