ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Filtration woes

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Default Filtration woes

Currently have a 75 gallon and will be upgrading to a 180 gallon very soon. Currently for filtration I have on it is

SunSun 304 and 302. One was used mainly for C02 injection. AC110 , Hydro Sponge filter.

I removed the smaller SunSun today and replaced it with my Ehiem 2217 and realized how low powered the SunSun was.

I do very large water changes every other day, but still not to over filtrate.

I definitely want to keep the Eheim, AC110 and sponge filter. I still have another AC110 in the closet I can add on. For the new tank
    what would be recommended to add for flow and filtration.

My father is interested in the FX4 or FX6 because of that little gravel attachment, he likes to clean the sand every other day opposite the water changes
    and my water pressure is horrible so the Python doesn't do a very good job.

I'm open to any brand as long as it's dependable.

No room for sump.

Thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: Filtration woes

which little gravel attachment are you referring to?i have an fx6 but dont know what u r referring to

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    which little gravel attachment are you referring to?i have an fx6 but dont know what u r referring to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw3AbPJbgn4

I run an eheim 4+ 650 on my 75G. Works great. Very happy with the filter

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

Buy something big and cheap, Jebao for example

Real Name
    Ricardo

Buy 2 smaller filters rather than one large one

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by reaper7534 View Post
    Looks like a pain in the *** to me.Easier to just use a regular gravel vac.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    Looks like a pain in the *** to me.Easier to just use a regular gravel vac.
    I agree, but like I said, my water pressure socks. If I have to keep using the python I will, just looking at alternatives.

So what should I compliment my ac110, 2217 and large sponge with ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

I don't see why you feel the need to add? Is something lacking or are you having an issue or not seeing clear water ?

I know that many will say there is no such thing as too much filtration. But there comes a point where it just doesn't make a difference. At least that is what I was always told in the past. Some people can and will run a tank your size on two sponges alone. Your bb is there and established. Adding more to me would seem like just another device to clean and maintain.

I'm curious why you feel the need and what is prompting you.

Real Name
    Mervin

I would go with the one filter for a less complicated look with all the extra gear.A FX6 will do a 180 gal with ease.The gravel cleaner appears to cleaning the substrate at a slow process and also seems to be recycling the water back into the tank,whereas if you use a regular python you can change out the water as you clean the substrate.That would be the biggest draw back from the gravel vacc.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 02-26-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i used to use a python for substrate cleaning but i didnt like wasting all the tap water while i did it. now i use a larger diameter hose to drain my aquarium, while one end is in the tank the other goes down the floor drain in the laundry room. it has more powerful suction than my python on full blast had. still feel bad for dumping the water down the drain but at least im not also running the tap. if my tank were on a top floor would drain it out the window into the lawn/garden.

this summer, after i clean the bottom and send the debris down the floor drain i plan to try to use the fx5 to drain the rest of the water. i can attach a hose to the top output for straight water changes. that way i can turn the fx5 on and it will maybe pump the water up and out the basement window onto the lawn/garden.

also didbt like the idea of the waste water from the fx gravel vac going back into the filter... i gotta clean that filter a lot already, would rather put the waste down the drain.

Real Name
    Mervin

I also do not use the tap with my python.I let gravity do that and fun it into the bath tub.I use a 1 inch hosing for quick changes and a pump to fill the tank back up.

I also don't use the tap for python. Huge waste of water while vacuuming. I use a small little pump and works great. 7312016203234.jpg