ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Uca ecuadoriensis, information request

Registered Member

Default Uca ecuadoriensis, information request

Hello, this specie of crab is available in my country, Chile, but there is not much information in the internet regarding the specifics for this crab.

I would like to ask help from a biologist or somebody who knows regarding rare species, as I don't know even where it lives (I only found that it exists in Peru, Ecuator, Colombia, part of Central America). Is this crab a brackish water or freshwater or both?.

All information you have, even special requirements is really welcome. I am concluding this is only available in scientific books, so probably only an expert may be able to help.

Thanks!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Uca ecuadoriensis, information request

You are right. Not much info. You may have already found these links.

http://www.fiddlercrab.info/u_ecuadoriensis.html

General information to fiddler crabs.
    https://www.tititudorancea.net/z/fiddler_crab.htm
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Casey

I don't know a ton about them but I do know you can buy fiddler crabs for salt water reef systems here in California. I do not know of any exceptionally special requirements other than they need a wet and dry place to be. A lot of the guys who have them build islands in the center of their open top eurobraced tanks. They eat silversides, squid, shrimp, krill and algae growing in the system.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Registered Member

thanks mates. Pat: yes, I found those links before, I even translated some in German LOL (Google translator ruls ), but I dont know where exactly they are collected from. The thing is that there are actually fiddler crabs that can live in brackish water and freshwater, like Uca minax. I found this scientific paper: http://link.springer.com/article/10.2307/1350613

What I need to know if I can really keep them in freshwater as this is the water I have in my tanks as they have plants.

Lido: thanks for the answer, but here in Chile I cannot import unless I have a quarantine room authorized by the local authorities, and a system for waste certified by them, also you have to pay for it LOL, so it is not an option for a simple aquarist like me. Also, they go into an special importation process. But I really appreciate your time, it is only that here they are really careful (international certifications are not considered). Thanks mate
    Last edited by Donethur; 02-26-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

You might try researching keeping fiddler crabs in general since it seems you may not found exactly what you want.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Donethur View Post
    thanks mates. Pat: yes, I found those links before, I even translated some in German LOL (Google translator ruls ), but I dont know where exactly they are collected from. The thing is that there are actually fiddler crabs that can live in brackish water and freshwater, like Uca minax. I found this scientific paper: http://link.springer.com/article/10.2307/1350613

What I need to know if I can really keep them in freshwater as this is the water I have in my tanks as they have plants.

Lido: thanks for the answer, but here in Chile I cannot import unless I have a quarantine room authorized by the local authorities, and a system for waste certified by them, also you have to pay for it LOL, so it is not an option for a simple aquarist like me. Also, they go into an special importation process. But I really appreciate your time, it is only that here they are really careful (international certifications are not considered). Thanks mate
    yeah i think you were confused.

I was stating basically what Pat said. The crab you referenced is a species of Fiddler Crab. We keep them here in CA. You can research "keeping fiddler crabs" and you should get good information. The exact species might have a few slight differences but you will learn them quickly if you just watch and learn.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson