ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus cross

Registered Member

Default Discus cross

Getting back at discus soon enough. Just can't seem to shake them. I was wanting to maybe go with just one kind of discus rather than a rainbow of colors. To me it just seems more natural. Or I am thinking of going with both blue diamonds and blue turks. Wondering if a cross between these two would be a nice cross? What to expect from such a cross? Definitely not going with any pigeon blood strains.. Thanks guys

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Default Re: Discus cross

I can not really help you on the cross as I have no experience. However, I do prefer single strain or closely related strains (color wise). As much as I enjoy and like to see many strains in one tank, I feel it is initially nice but then almost becomes distracting. Nothing like seeing a big school of fish who all have a similar look. I have had tanks where the fish were close in appearance yet different, such as what you suggest above and I like that look as well. You would have a cool visual effect, with the solid blues and the blue with some red markings, maybe even some scorpions or something like that? If you select some various pattern turks it may look like a phase from solid blue to some pattern and maybe you get one or two full pattern, would be a nice progression tank in my mind.

Registered Member

Yes that is my thinking and thanks for the reply. Pairing up could happen with the two and just wondering if there would be solid blues along with turks or all fish would have some striations? Thinking ahead of course but would like to know just the same.

Real Name
    Willie

Turquoise X Blue Diamonds will typically produce more turqs and brilliants (incomplete blue diamonds). The turqs will have lighter bars.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Thank you very much.