ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 125 new home

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Default 125 new home

Ok. I just got a 125 gallon new home for my pack. I recently bought five new guys. 3" or so. I have them in a bb 55 at tank, had them about 3 weeks now. Plan on growing them up a bit but There hungry little dudes and r doing great. My show tank is a 75 planted sand bottom, low tech with led lights fluval canister filter and a inline heater. I have two 6" discus, two German blue rams, 1 panda cat and two red tetras and two small plecos. Very healthy tank. Water perams are excellent.

So my new tank should house these guys great. I've got a few question, do I use my sand from 75 with the rest of my plants and wood or do I start new and cycle from scratch? I am still getting some new equipment together for my new tank, so I have lots of time and am in no rush!

Photos to come shortly!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Default Re: 125 new home

Ok I'm really thinking about a sump for my new tank. Can someone tell me what size I would need for a 125 gallon tank. Is a twenty long big enough?

Good stuff. 20L will be fine for sump. Just get it so theres at least 350 gallon turnover per hour if not more. Try new sand. Or new sand with maybe a little old. Use same plants but dude, use opportunity to get new, BIG wood! You can use the tank itself to cure it since no fish in it yet. You could also seed yor tanks filtration with some of current tank. Id just say do a little seeding but still wait awhile to ensure whether or not it cycles with seeding. Not an expert by any means though!!! Lots of trial and some catastrophies for me! Better now but still cut corners i shouldnt. What are you doing for background? Just curious
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Still not sure about the background... been reading bean animal over flow, think I'm going that route so I have no flooding issues. Now I need to re think location a bit. Luckily I need to grow the (five guys)a bit anyway so I got time. Wife has named them that and it has kinda stuck...lol. I'm thinking of some kind of black pipe stand with wood of some kind.. lots of hmmmms!! Got to drill the back of new tank, real nervous!! I've read hours of threads in here and think I'm ready

Sean, what type of bit for whole? And there's a simple way to ensure no overflow. If power outage, ensure intakeis at a measure meant below consistent waterline so that only X amount could ever go into sump. You can slowly test that out yourself ahead of time.
    -Elliot