AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A sump is born.

Default A sump is born.

After weeks of planning and sketching...pulled the trigger on plumbing in the new sump.
    It is based off the WOW Factor filter thread. I have not built the large purigen reactor yet, but that will be on the return side where I will use vinyl tubing so it will be easy to cut in.

Everything is isolated with unions and ball valves. I am waiting for a true union ball valve to come in the mail to finish the that upright pice the come off the U.

I am going to incorporate a WC system with bulk head drilled into the lower 1/3 of the display tank and have it dump directly into the sump. Then I close the tank return valve and open the true union valve and it should pump the tank water up to the second floor laundry room.

Day did not start out so well! Went to Home Creepo did get some foam to insult the tank from the cement floor.
    I piled a bunch of stuff on top of the sheet and bent into the pickup box. Well the wind got it and threw all my stuff and the foam all over a busy 4 lane street! Luckily it was not busy and I pulled into a parking lot and ran out and got it..but not before it took a couple hits! the PVC pipe got run over too but it doesn't look like it cracked!

I thought man just my luck....the way things are starting out I'll screw up drilling the tank...BUT things went better the rest of the day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: A sump is born.

OK, why does my Iphone turn the pictures??

Registered Member

You should swap out that duplex electrical outlet for a GFI one for safety reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    You should swap out that duplex electrical outlet for a GFI one for safety reasons!
    bawahahah I KNEW someone was going to say that! On the list!!

Real Name
    Jörgen

Nice!

Is there any flexible part between pump and bulkhead? Not worried about vibrations?

Quote Originally Posted by LoGeek View Post
    Nice!

Is there any flexible part between pump and bulkhead? Not worried about vibrations?
    Everything between the tank and the pump is Spa Flex PVC accept the actual fittings of course.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Ok. Spa flex is great!

Glued up all the plumbing tonight so it can sit at least 24 hours before running a leak test. Pretty happy with the outcome as long as I don't have any leaks!
    I have to plumb in the in-line canister but that will just be spa flex to vinyl. No biggy.

One thing I did do that I REALLY liked,,,,,DIY Joey showed how to use a heat gun to make your own PVC connections.
    My WC spa flex hose needed a threaded elbow to point down the floor drain. I heated 3/4" flexible PVC and directly screwed in a 3/4" threaded elbow and it worked like a charm.
    I will be doing more with heat and PVC!
    Last edited by Neptune; 03-01-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Glued up all the plumbing tonight so it can sit at least 24 hours before running a leak test. Pretty happy with the outcome as long as I don't have any leaks!
    I have to plumb in the in-line canister but that will just be spa flex to vinyl. No biggy.

One thing I did do that I REALLY liked,,,,,DIY Joey showed how to use a heat gun to make your own PVC connections.
    My WC spa flex hose needed a threaded elbow to point down the floor drain. I heated 3/4" flexible PVC and directly screwed in a 3/4" threaded elbow and it worked like a charm.
    I will be doing more with heat and PVC!
    Are you saying melting it together instead of gluing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Are you saying melting it together instead of gluing it?
    No, just heating the pipe and sliding them together to make the fitting. Still use glue, you just eliminate a lot of fittings.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJtuPRab69s

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    No, just heating the pipe and sliding them together to make the fitting. Still use glue, you just eliminate a lot of fittings.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJtuPRab69s
    Seems like more work and time but that's just me. Only time I heat pipes is for bending them for a really bad angle

Real Name
    Jörgen

I sometimes use heat as well to simplify things. Some transitions can be made with less parts and less flow resistance by heating.

Quote Originally Posted by LoGeek View Post
    I sometimes use heat as well to simplify things. Some transitions can be made with less parts and less flow resistance by heating.
    YEP, and, when you don't have that last fitting at 8:00pm!

Welllll heck!
    I was using the google machine last night looking at different overflow designs. Bean animal is my fav....and stumbled on this!
    http://www.eshopps.com/products/over...xes/eclipse-l/

These cost around $120 and include a template, hole saw, bulk heads, etc.
    Wow....not a bad deal...I designed, cut and assembled my own last time and I know I had a least $50 into just the acrylic! So I'm jumping all over one of these and should make the tank portion of the build less than an hour project!
    I'll give a review when I get it.

Leak test underway.
    I cut out a spring check valve that required a 1/2 lb of force to open and replaced it with just a flapper union type.
    Bulk head would not stop leaking....very tiny small drip, put a rubber washer inside and out and that fixed that.
    Lastly, I think the in-line canister lid is leaking a tiny bit. Will hit it with a rubber mallet when I'm ready to run.

The heart of the system is the orange valve. If I throw that valve it pumps water up to the second floor laundry drain. The idea is, I will drill the tank with a bulk head in the bottom third of the display tank. It will drain into the sump and I can then pump it up to to the laundry drain. I think someone on there does this Rickthonze(spelling??)

Couple major things left to do ...drill the display tank for the overflow, design the sump, going to keep it simple with mostly poret foam, and a DIY roller matt on the input.

The Eshopps overflow came today! Wow, I'm impressed!
    Well packed, has all the bulkheads, gaskets inside and out, emergany overflow pipe AND the hole saw! All for $119 for the large size.

I built one of these myself last year, granted twice as long, but....I have as much in materials as these cost. Not counting design and build time!

The only thing...the internal weir is slotted and the bottom of the slots will cause your tank levels to be below the rim. I'm going to cut two holes on either side and run nylon wing nuts through them. Then I'll attach a slotted gate so I can adjust the height of the slots.
    BUT overall...I give these things very high marks for price!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast