ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can't get rid of micro bubbles

Registered Member

Default Re: can't get rid of micro bubbles

Quote Originally Posted by jjduen View Post
    I run mine through a home a carbon filter canister and then a 1 micron filter canister. Comes out with no bubbles or chlorine/chloramine.
    I definitely see where this could have postive results for bubbles but I'm confused on how it removes chloramine. Seem to me that if it was that easy then the carbon we use in our aquariums would also remove ammonia. I wasn't aware that carbon would break the bond between chlorine and ammonia.

Real Name
    John Summers

My area uses Chlorine not Chloramine and yes carbon will absorb chlorine from the water. And you can get highly active carbon cartridges that are designed to remove chlorine and chloramine.

I use carbon quite frequently in my lab for purification purposes to absorb various impurities from water and other types of solvents.

My test kits show 0 ppm.

Registered Member

I'm on a well and no matter what I tried I couldn't get rid of them.
    The only thing that worked for me was to age, heat and aerate the water for 24 hrs.
    Jay

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    I'm on a well and no matter what I tried I couldn't get rid of them.
    The only thing that worked for me was to age, heat and aerate the water for 24 hrs.
    Jay
    Every well I've drank out in my life has had so much its as if it's carbonated (which it is) almost like soda pop. Run a glass of water it is so cloudy like milk it takes 4-5 minutes to clear out.
    I agree that aging is the only way to avoid them and clear out the co2.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjduen View Post
    I run mine through a home a carbon filter canister and then a 1 micron filter canister. Comes out with no bubbles or chlorine/chloramine.
    jj can you send a link or pic of what you use? i will try one more time. i did fill my 30'' suction hose with polishing material and ran that into a 5 micron sock and got rid of the micro bubbles but it builds so much pressure that my python connections blew apart. yes i know i can slow the flow but that is defeating what I'm trying to do. not only get rid of these bubbles but cut my time down as much as possible. with your method how fast can you fill your tank and what size tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i would use less dense material to fill the python. i used sponges of varying ppi from my api filstar canister, and i left some gaps between them, as well as a gap right at the top of the syphon where the water is flowing in so there wasnt so much pressure there. i didnt use the polishing pads cuz they prevented flow and the tube would pop off the hose. and i when i put the sponges in i twisted them to leave channels, if u pack them too tight the tube also pops off. gotta play with it a bit but i really works once u find the right mix.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i dont use the Python anymore tho, i have a strong pump on my aging barrell and that makes refill many times faster. i cant remember if u already mentioned space as being an issue that prevents u from aging the water? i have my barrell in another room and a hose that runs behind the wall and thru a doorway to the tank. its way more efficient than my python, and zero bubbles.
    Last edited by Kyla; 03-03-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12