Default Farlowella

Couple of Farlowella munching on Zucchini and Indian Almond
    IMG_6081.jpg

Photobombed by CW049 and CW028
    IMG_6084.jpg

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Farlowella

cute little fella. I have one in a 10gal hospital tank, he stays there to help keep the cycle going during times that no one is in the hospital. I think of all the pleco species ive kept in relative size to this creature, he emits the largest amount of poop I have ever seen. Be ready to siphon poo, they are huge waste creators but very cool looking. FYI you do not have to deskin the zucchini before adding to your tank if you don't want to.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Tobi

Well, a pooping fish is a healthy fish, so I'll live with it. Actually am going to pick up a bunch more of them, they'll be the only "plecos" in the 325 display. I deskin all my non organic veggies I put in, I don't trust the local produce, organic I leave it on.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Very cool... How big do they get? Do they provide any added benefit for the poop parade? Do they eat algae or uneaten food?

Real Name
    Mervin

I had those with wild discus a few years back.I had to take them out after I saw razor teeth marks on the discus.They really like the slim coat and this is one species you'll need to keep an eye on with flat shaped fish.They will even chase relentlessly once they acquire a taste for the slim coat.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

I was considering these for one of my tanks, but after reading this I just may pass on them.

What kind of Cories are in there?

Registered Member

nice selection of corys. some of my favs. i just bought some cw49

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

Sorry, didn't see the caption on the last pic! I was busy looking at the farlowellas.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

ive kept farlowellas for years and have gotten some for friends of mine. one of them discovered it could suck the slime from fish and really badly wounded an angel fish. it was in my friends tank and i suspect she was starving it. i caught another hanging off a discus but it left no marks anywhere and i think it was just trying to temp rest on a discus after leaving its log - i rehomed it just in case. i just rehomed my last one which has lived peacefully with discus and other fish for years. i think u always take a risk when mixing plecos/farlowellas with discus... some never molest the discus and others do, its kind of a gamble. either way, the farlowellas are excellent cleaners and did a wonderful job with the plants in my tank. best algae eaters ive owned by far, and if i still had plants i would def have some farlowella. as my tank is bare now i've rehomed all but one of my plecos. there is def less poop on te floor of the tank now lol

Real Name
    Tobi

I've heard a lot of unsuccessful combos of plecs and discus, but for me it was never an issue. I have 9 L number plecos right now, all mixed with discus. I keep them well fed, and the Farlowella especially seem to have taken a liking to the decomposing cattappa leaves in the tank.

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

All the ones I have had with discus sucked slime. I love the Farlowellas, I just would not keep them with discus!!
    Kraig

Real Name
    Tobi

Thanks everyone, I'll keep an eye on them. Currently in qt with the cories and Altums