ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: any strains to avoid for a beginner?

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Re: any strains to avoid for a beginner?

Quote Originally Posted by Lido View Post
    I would stay away from wilds as a beginner. All domestics are created equally, from there have at it. I have to be honest, these fish aren't hard to take care of. What is difficult is when you screw up or change something. They don't like it. They don't like when you introduce sick fish in their system. They don't like it when you put new bacteria in their system. They don't like it when you change water every day then don't change it for a week....

The trick to these fish is "no tricks" do exactly the same thing every day, keep exactly the same water parameters. These are the OCD fish. If you turn the lights on at 7:00AM monday - friday and like to sleep in on weekends.. you'll notice they act weird on weekends.. it's because they didn't get their 7 am meal! lol
    All this is true and good advice.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lido View Post
    I would stay away from wilds as a beginner. All domestics are created equally, from there have at it. I have to be honest, these fish aren't hard to take care of. What is difficult is when you screw up or change something. They don't like it. They don't like when you introduce sick fish in their system. They don't like it when you put new bacteria in their system. They don't like it when you change water every day then don't change it for a week....

The trick to these fish is "no tricks" do exactly the same thing every day, keep exactly the same water parameters. These are the OCD fish. If you turn the lights on at 7:00AM monday - friday and like to sleep in on weekends.. you'll notice they act weird on weekends.. it's because they didn't get their 7 am meal! lol
    Lido that sounds like great advice. OCD fish... that's funny. I can do this. I get a bit OCD about my tanks so this should be fine. Might even get 2 pigeon bloods regardless of peppering just because of the nice ones I've seen. Can't wait to finally order fish. My fishless cycle will hopefully be done in a couple weeks

So I am not saying you need to avoid this strain because I am a beginner as well but I would just not want you to wonder why no one told you if you did order one. The albinos tend to have poor eye site. I had no idea and noticed my Albino Platinum seemed to have to feel around for his food and found out later- all albinos in nature have poorer vision. I recently learned from Kenny (he is an awesome educator) albinos are a bit higher priced because they are harder to breed and many need to be culled for abnormalities. Any fish that makes it to Kenny is phenomenal though. All I need to do is make sure a little food gets to the floor of the tank so he can feel his way around to it. He is a bit slower growing but is really growing well and has an awesome personality. Well worth the stunning contrast he adds to my tank. Just a heads up but no need to avoid them. If you want a standout, these sure are.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by clark12 View Post
    Lido that sounds like great advice. OCD fish... that's funny. I can do this. I get a bit OCD about my tanks so this should be fine. Might even get 2 pigeon bloods regardless of peppering just because of the nice ones I've seen. Can't wait to finally order fish. My fishless cycle will hopefully be done in a couple weeks
    Not all pigeon bloods will pepper. Key is stay away from dark backgrounds or tank bottoms. From what I understand selective breeding has really minimized peppering. I have a checkerboard, a golden checkerboard and a rafflesia from Kenny and they have very very little peppering and they had to deal with black gravel for awhile. High quality fish should give you less chance of peppering1122017202638.jpg1122017122239.jpg
    Last edited by Ryan925; 03-02-2017 at 09:32 PM.

buy from good source of a domestic strain you like,

if you will do the WC, i'd tell you get smalls, they are fun to watch develop

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    All this is true and good advice.
    agreed, and i'd just add that they don't seem to do well in a community setup.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Not all pigeon bloods will pepper. Key is stay away from dark backgrounds or tank bottoms. From what I understand selective breeding has really minimized peppering. I have a checkerboard, a golden checkerboard and a rafflesia from Kenny and they have very very little peppering and they had to deal with black gravel for awhile. High quality fish should give you less chance of peppering1122017202638.jpg1122017122239.jpg
    From a normal distance they'd look completely clean. Very nice. I ordered 3 Rafflesia from Gabe at Wattley's Discus, will get them next week.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    From a normal distance they'd look completely clean. Very nice. I ordered 3 Rafflesia from Gabe at Wattley's Discus, will get them next week.
    Nice. I love the rafflesias. I'd love to see a whole tank of them.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    So I am not saying you need to avoid this strain because I am a beginner as well but I would just not want you to wonder why no one told you if you did order one. The albinos tend to have poor eye site. I had no idea and noticed my Albino Platinum seemed to have to feel around for his food and found out later- all albinos in nature have poorer vision. I recently learned from Kenny (he is an awesome educator) albinos are a bit higher priced because they are harder to breed and many need to be culled for abnormalities. Any fish that makes it to Kenny is phenomenal though. All I need to do is make sure a little food gets to the floor of the tank so he can feel his way around to it. He is a bit slower growing but is really growing well and has an awesome personality. Well worth the stunning contrast he adds to my tank. Just a heads up but no need to avoid them. If you want a standout, these sure are.
    never been big on albino's but you said it... contrast. i will probably get something in the white category. i will have to see what kenny has available when i order

Registered Member

thank you everyone for your input. all info is appreciated and the pics are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by clark12 View Post
    never been big on albino's but you said it... contrast. i will probably get something in the white category. i will have to see what kenny has available when i order
    Kenny's White Butterflies from Forrest are pretty. he usually has something interesting in white. I am so jealous I love the thrill- the options are amazing. I think he had 52 strains last month.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

I'm new to discus keeping and i don't know how to post and I've no friends on this web forum. I've 9 pretty discus and I've two marlboro discus that look perfect. My mom insisted on a pigeon blood and it had slight peppering(she loves the hobby too). None of the others have it and i am afraid the two marlboro might get it. Do all discus get it and how can you get rid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Is maith loim discus View Post
    I'm new to discus keeping and i don't know how to post and I've no friends on this web forum. I've 9 pretty discus and I've two marlboro discus that look perfect. My mom insisted on a pigeon blood and it had slight peppering(she loves the hobby too). None of the others have it and i am afraid the two marlboro might get it. Do all discus get it and how can you get rid of it?
    Peppering is not something that discus "get" or contract like an illness. It's simply pigmentation, trying to blend in with their environment. Only PB strains will show peppering. Low quality fish will show much more. With PB strains you typically want to stay away from dark bottoms as that will cause them to show the peppering
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Thanks Ryan925 and dont worry about it! auto-correct drives me insane! So will my marlboro try to blend in with my sand? The sand is a red colour one marlboro is a peach colour and the other is a light pink/yellow colour. They're appearance is perfect i'm just afraid of them peppering when blending in.

Quote Originally Posted by Is maith loim discus View Post
    Thanks Ryan925 and dont worry about it! auto-correct drives me insane! So will my marlboro try to blend in with my sand? The sand is a red colour one marlboro is a peach colour and the other is a light pink/yellow colour. They're appearance is perfect i'm just afraid of them peppering when blending in.
    Lighter color substrate will cause your discus to brighten their colors in general. It's not just the pb pepper issue. When I went from black to white substrate all of my fish were noticeably brighter not just the pbs. I don't think red would be an issue. I think it's more an issue with the black substrates.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast