AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost my Best Bud yesterday...a Feline friend like no other.

Default Lost my Best Bud yesterday...a Feline friend like no other.

My best bud Whiskers used the last of his 9 lives yesterday... I'm writing this here in my homestead now to help me deal with it. I know some of you reading this will understand.

84.jpg

It was probably one of the saddest days I have seen in a long time. It was unexpected which is really what makes it rough on me and my family. I know there are some members out there that look at their cats, dogs, horses etc as just animals....but I am not one of them. I've shared very special bonds with my cats my whole life. They become family here. Whiskers was no different in that regard. I got whiskers 3 1/2 years ago . He was a 10 year old rescue cat in a no-kill shelter at the time. His records showed he had been in the shelter, in a that cage for almost a year. He was a shy scared cat but when I came to the door, he head butted me thru the bars. My cats have always picked me, I never picked them and I knew this fellow needed me. I also needed him having lost my last cat after 16 years a few months earlier. I took him home and he spent the next two weeks with me isolated from the other cats in the house as we treated him for worms and fleas ( just in case). He was the master head butt cat... he loved nothing more than be right there with you. He had been declawed, and was not good with other cats, so his first 6 months, he really spent hiding the days away under the bed. At night he would come out and sleep on the bed with us.. He would burrow under the sheets too. This cat could tunnel like no other.

The shelter we got him from had really dropped the ball on him. Our Vet said his teeth were the worst he had ever seen.. So he needed several extractions. He suffered from very bad allergies, and was prone to infections. He made the cat pharmaceautical companies very wealthy. He even made the human ones some decent cash as we tried to deal with issue after issue. We finally got a good handle on these things and he was doing well.Pretty soon he would start coming out and exploring the house.
    He had many run ins with Matt and Violet the two younger cats we have. It was at first a very one sided battle. They kicked his but. They had claws, he didn't and they claimed the house. But Whiskers was never a quitter. He changed tactics and what he lacked in claws, he made up with his sounds.. He would chase them and hiss and wail like a banshee.. He intimidated them and in a short time became the king of the house... He would patrol his turf regularly in case the youngsters got too confident..

86.jpg

85.jpg

Then out of the blue about 2 years ago he became ill, unresponsive. I took him to the animal hospitol and he spent several days in ICU in an oxygen chamber. They ran tests, tried meds, but he was failing. He was not eating either. So against the Hospitals advise, I took him home and spent the next few days taking care of him. He started eating again and soon had recovered. They never could figure out the cause... a virus maybe .

The last year and half had been great. We figured out how to deal with his allergies. I perfected the Kitty Burrito where you wrap the cat in a towel and can then easily give him his allergy pills.. we had tried many prescriptions from the vet.. Zytec worked the best.. 1/2 pill morning and night. We also found that food was a trigger. He seemed to do best on foods that had no artificial ingredients.

88.jpg

87.jpg

Thru all these issues, he was always gentle. Always wanted to be with us. He would greet each member of the family with a meow and head butt when he saw them. As for me I can say that though I only had him in my life 3 and 1/2 years. I have never spent more time with one my cats. He was with me 24/7. At night he slept on my side. If I was watching Tv.. he was on my side, or lap. If was working late in my office he made sure I knew when it was time to call it a day. And during the day... he worked with me. He was probably with me when ever I posted anything here the last few years.

91.jpg

90.jpg

89.jpg

WE had to put a bell on him as he was a stealth cat and we worried about him getting stepped on. The jingle was comforting to hear.. My office and the house are sadly quiet now. 2 days ago we noted behavior changes. He seemed unsteady, had not been using the litter box and was getting swollen in his belly. Lack of energy and just laying around. He had also lost alot of weight, but being a thin cat always, it was not noticeable. His appetite was actually really great. I knew when I called the Vet yesterday that his time was here. I already knew what the Vet would find. He had cancer. There was nothing that could be done. He may have had it a while and he just lost the battle. Last night we made the incredibly difficult decision to put him to sleep. It was so unexpected . I know it was the right decision. But its never an easy one.

Thank you for reading the story of my Best Bud Whisker's Life. He was a special family member that we will never forget and we miss him greatly already.

My Last Pic of him, taken just before we went to the Vet. I spent yesterday with him one last time. Laying down, watched some TV together, Watching the Clock for the appointment.

92.jpg

Rest in Peace Whiskers, and Thank you. You brought us alot of happy times.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-06-2019 at 10:44 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

Default Re: Lost my Best Bud yesterday...a Feline friend like no other.

I'm sorry Al. I have a particular cat today that I love to pieces. I have lost some great pets over the years. Trust me on this, they always find their way back to our sides.

Thanks Lucas. Theres never enough time with them.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Al, as we all know losing a pet is much more than that, It's like losing a best friend and a companion. Cherish the memories and time spent together, don't dwell on the negative. I am sure Whiskers had a terrific life being part of your family and no one will ever forget that.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Dang Al, sorry about your cat. This was a really good write up, did Whiskers honest that is for sure. I know it was therapeutic to write it also. My cat is 8 years old now, she is my best bud. I know how terrible it is to lose a pet. So sorry for your loss.
    ~JACKLYN~

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Al, I am sure glad you and Whiskers found each other. You and your family give Whiskers the best gift of all, a warm, loving place by your side. I am so sorry to hear about his passing. Like you my animals are part of the family. Many, many hugs to you, Carrie and the kids.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Rick

So sorry for your loss, my dogs are like family to me so I know your pain. At least you can take solace in the fact that the last years of Whiskers life were his best years.

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Naz

I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad she lived a beautiful life with a wonderful owner.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Hi Al,
    I'm sorry for your loss!!! For me losing a cat or a dog is like losing a family member. It hurts!!! I had to put my brothers cat down 3 years ago he was 17. My brother brought him home after someone dropped him and his brother a sisters off at his job. The day I had to put him down I just broke down. It was one of the hardest things I had to do. They will always give you great memories!!! Now I have to maine coons and they are great cats!!! 5yrs and 1 2yrs old. I hope you get through this tough time it hard!!

Real Name
    Casey

Al, i just got done reading this. It is truly heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. It sure sounded like you guys needed each other. It sounds like you both benefitted greatly from your bond. I know how hard it can be, my dog of 15 years just died two weeks ago. We had him since the day he was born.

Just know that you were just as important to Whiskers as he was to you. You made the best of the last years of his already difficult life. I know they say "time heals all wounds" but I believe it is different than that. I believe in time we realize the lessons that our friends brought us in life, through those lessons they live on through us. As we grow and change we will take those lessons with us. So Whiskers will forever live within your family, their children and so on.

My deepest condolences
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

Al,

Sorry for your loss! Losing a beloved pet is difficult!

Lilyann

Hugs to you and your family Al, at the loss of your friend... Cats are amazing creatures...they burrow themselves into our hearts and lives and bring us such joy: their wildness, eccentricities, and desire to be near you (curled up and purring) and, on the other hand, displaying a fierce independence...their is nothing quite like them...

Oh Al, that is the saddest but one of the most inspiring rescue stories I have ever heard. You saved his life and gave him joy. He returned the favor many times over by the sound of your "voice". You gave him his life back, earned his trust and gave him the love and the home he desperately needed and deserved.

My heart breaks for you and your family. Pets are not "pets" in our house but family members. One of the saddest things we do when we care for pets is to care enough to give them the peace and relief they need when the time comes. They let you know when that is.

Thinking of you and your family as you begin heal. He will always be a part of your family. Those photos and memories you have of him will live on with you and in time will bring you some joy again as you remember him as he was in better times.

Sending my warmest thoughts, Jenene
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Rob

Sorry to hear that Al... It's always difficult when these things happen. My condolences to you and your family.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Sending you my sympathy Al. We have 4 much loved rescued cats, they are very important in our lives. You will have such good memories of your little friend, to last a lifetime. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
    Hugs,
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast