ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost my Best Bud yesterday...a Feline friend like no other.

Default Re: Lost my Best Bud yesterday...a Feline friend like no other.

Sorry man. Pets find a special place in our hearts

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Sorry for ya Al, know the feeling brother. Our cat passed two yrs ago on New Year's Eve. He too was my "best friend", matter of fact I credited him for saving one of my discus that has jumped out the tank onto the floor. Harly kept crying until he got my attention. We had him cremated and ashes in a nice wooden box placed in his bed.

Thanks everyone. I knew a bunch of you could relate. We are doing our best here.. Not easy to get used to though. You forget how big a part of your life they played until they are gone. Little things remind you they are gone. I instinctively went to pick up his food while shopping at the grocery last night..Saw my black camera bag out of the corner of my eye and thought it was him. Definitely going to take some getting used to. Appreciate all your support though...It helps alot.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Al, Carrie, & family, I am so sorry you are going through this heavy loss...it is never easy, & it will hurt for a very long time...some friends will understand & others may not, but that matters not....It is your loss, your pain & you as a family must support each other because you are all hurting & missing a best friend...having been through much of this over the years with friends, clients & my own family, I've seen lots of very tough times with loss & I can only say, you never forget, just make room in your heart for them & in time it will ease & you will hold all the wonderful memories close to your heart....& remember Whiskers had wonderful years with you all regardless the length of time...understanding your grief, & thinking of you, Dottie
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!

Thanks for the support here Dottie. He was a special cat, and always will be to me. I will say this though, black cats get a bum rap in the supernatural mythos... its sad that they get overlooked as pets by many people as a result. I do hope that people reading this will forget all the garbage written about black cats and give one a chance. He/she may just be your next best friend.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Matt

Sorry to hear this Al, always tough. I fear I'm getting close with one of my dogs, around a 15 year old black lab. She has a great spirit and acts just fine, the vet says she is perfectly healthy except for her hips and joints which are really where her aging is. She is starting not to move so well. Enjoy the time you have with them!
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ralph

Sorry Al for the lose of your best Bud Whiskers. Pets in general over a number of years together seem to form a bond which is hard to break and at this time feel your pain. I had to put down only one so far years back..my 15 yr old Black Lab which was as loyal as they get.
    Keep Whiskers in your heart as I'm sure he will never forget you.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Thanks Guys.. Matt, Hope your Lab is with you a long time still. Losing them is definitely a heart breaker Ralph. You all rock. I have gotten some really great support here. Even had people reach out to me from years ago on this. It definitely helps so thank you all.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Sorry to see this Al.Just recently went thru the same thing.The pup we adopted after "The Round Hound" passed after we had him 2 years.Developed a hole in his lung,lost in a matter of about 4hrs.Its never easy when expected or unexpected.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill63SG View Post
    Sorry to see this Al.Just recently went thru the same thing.The pup we adopted after "The Round Hound" passed after we had him 2 years.Developed a hole in his lung,lost in a matter of about 4hrs.Its never easy when expected or unexpected.
    Bill that is really a bummer... I missed that thread about Bishop...Poor guy. Sorry to hear that!.. I see you got a new Bud in your life.. Hope all is well with Hudson!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Thanks Al. Puppy can sure take your mind off of other things. One plus we didn't expect was our other dog Thor pretty much adopted him. He would tolerate Bishop but actually plays with Hudson. Once some time has passed I'm sure you'll be ready for another hard case. My wife was the one not ready and then one day she couldn't take anymore election bs so she put on animal planet to lighten things up and they had pit bull puppies on. One week later.....

Real Name
    Sean

I'm sorry for your loss Al. Reading this reminds me of when my dog Snuggles passed away at the age of 14. The whole family was devastated, especially two of my younger sisters who were only 11 and 12 at the time. People who don't keep pets just don't seem to understand how they become family members in their own special ways. Even my discus are considered part of our family now.

Thank Sean. Yep, I still miss my bud.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Rob

Hey Al, it's been a while since you posted this, but just really wanted to share something with you. I never was a cat person, until the day Mojo walked into our lives. She just hung around in the back garden, looking a bit scared when we went outside, but she didn't leave. We didn't feed her, thinking she'd go away on her own, back to her owner, but she didn't. For two days and nights she just stayed in our garden, or so it would seem. In the end we fed her, and she gulped down a plate of cooked chicken like it was her last. I guess that was kind of it. There was no turning back....

We took her to the vets for a check up and they said she was in good shape, but needed feeding. So we stocked up on the best stuff, and she just went nuts for it. They said she needed snipping so she can't get pregnant and we agreed and said we'd sort that out asap.

She was really jumpy with us, and whenever I came in the front room she'd hide under the table. When she needed to go outside we'd open the door and it'd take her ages to pluck up the courage to go out. We figured she'd come from a bad home, and maybe the dad used to boot her out. This made sense because she was most jumpy with me, and didn't come near me for ages. Hiding under the table was a real sign she was scared of me.

Anyway, after a couple weeks, she started acting really strange. The most awful wailing sound, and looking around all panicking. We were totally confused and worried. In the end she made a cave, up on my sons bed, using his duvet. I literally mean a cave. It was incredible. We were really worried though, what was happening?? 3 hours later, my wife, Jo, came in to me and was like "you're not going to believe this....!!!!". Sure enough, there were two little kittens with Mojo, and she was tending them like any good mum. A while later then there was four of them. Never have I felt such a mix of joy, wonder, and absolute panic in my life, except when my first born was delivered maybe.....

The rest is history, but what made me want to share this is your comment that cats choose you. We like to think Mojo ran away from a bad home for the safety of her unborn. She had a mosey around town, found us, and thought "yeah, these guys seem ok". Even though she was jumpy as hell, she chose us, and in the end she was safe.

I felt your grief when I read this post. It made me think what it'd be like to lose Mojo. We moved the kittens on, except one, but she died from some sort of injury and found her by our front door. We think she was hit by a car, but tried to get home. It's a bit of a wrench, especially after we got Mojo snipped, so can never experience her with babies again, or keep one

Sorry for your loss Al. Hope these pictures of Mojo bring a smile.... (the last is my favourite because it was the first time she squinted her eyes at me). A sure sign of feeling relaxed. She's still a little jumpy, 2 years after she turned up, but when she sits on my lap from time to time we get well connected and I'm a total cat convert.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That was a really sweet story..Thank you for sharing. It sounds like it was a win win for everyone involved... so sorry about the kitten though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast