ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Must see/do things in Hawaii

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Must see/do things in Hawaii

Thanks for stopping by.
    My wife and l are planning a trip to Hawaii in early June this year. We are spending the first weak on the Big Island in Kona where all l have planned at this stage is a 2 day fishing charter. I'm also hoping to have a look at a volcano or two.
    The second week will be spent in Honolulu, and have no plans as yet.
    I was hoping to obtain some information from people that either live in Hawaii, or people that have been to see the main sights.

This is my first time to Hawaii and any help would be appreciated
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Tobi

Default Re: Must see/do things in Hawaii

Been to Oahu a couple years ago, loved it. We stayed in Waikiki, did not see much of Honolulu city really.
    I took surfing lessons, good fun. If you're into hiking there's plenty of rainforest to explore, Turtle bay in the north of the Island worth a visit. There's also a public aquarium in Waikiki, quite nice.

Real Name
    Jörgen

I liked snorkling with all the fish i Hanauma Bay. It's a tourist place but as a fish lover it's great snorkling with a bag of fish food seeing all the fish really close.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Been to Oahu a couple years ago, loved it. We stayed in Waikiki, did not see much of Honolulu city really.
    I took surfing lessons, good fun. If you're into hiking there's plenty of rainforest to explore, Turtle bay in the north of the Island worth a visit. There's also a public aquarium in Waikiki, quite nice.
    Thank you. That's exactly the sort of information that l'm after. I was planning to have a go at surfing while at Waikiki, and my wife and l love sightseeing, so l'll be looking at Turtle bay as you suggested. I think the aquarium will be worth a visit also. Thanks again for your input

Quote Originally Posted by LoGeek View Post
    I liked snorkling with all the fish i Hanauma Bay. It's a tourist place but as a fish lover it's great snorkling with a bag of fish food seeing all the fish really close.
    I love snorkeling! I snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef here in Australia every year, so it would be good to see differences in coral and sea life. I googled Hanauma Bay , and it looks beautiful. Thanks for the heads up

Real Name
    Tobi

Found some pics on my phone, here goes:

Hanauma Bay
    IMG_2895.jpg

View from Diamond Head Crater
    IMG_2889.jpg

Also, if you like to eat, take a food tour. There's a guy who does one in the Ala Moana area, some good stuff.
    IMG_2877.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Hi Joe;
    I think you have found the right balance of work and play and i am glad that you and your wife are both going together ,at this stage of our life it is important to bond through holidays like this , we went to HAWAII about 25 years ago when the kids were small on the way to Disney land ,we stayed in Waikiki and enjoyed the beach .
    Good luck.

Real Name
    Casey

Manoa falls is a nice view. Waikiki beach is always nice, very touristy though. Waikiki Aquarium is near there if you're interested in things like that.

You have to eat some moco locos and a musubi.

My next door neighbor is from there. Let me ask him about it and I'll post tonight.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Registered Member

Dont forget Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona memorial,lots of history there to soak up.I was in Hawaii as a teenager,and hit up every local tropical fish store "the bus" would take me to.....brought alot of {small} aquarium stuff while I was there!That was exactly 40 years ago to this month,LOL. Waikiki beach is much more built up now,crowded with high rises everywhere,almost like NYC on the oceanfront.On the big island,we went to Hilo to see the volcanos and black sand beaches,interesting.

Ha! You're in for a big difference in reefs in Hawaii vs. reefs in Australia. The water is cooler there so mainly porites and pocillopora, and some montipora sp. of coral can be found. Lots of fish though. If you scuba dive, the drop off on the backside of molokini crater in Maui is awesome, as is snorkeling in the crater. Lahaina is nice on Maui too, there's an old whaling museum there. You can jump from island to island very easily. Planes go out every 1/2 hour. We stayed in Maui, but flew over to Oahu to see the Waikiki Aquatium. I heard the zoo in Honolulu is nice too, but we didn't make it there. Any rainforest hike is fun, once you get into the cooler altitudes, you can occasionally find some Jackson's chameleons, which are fun to watch and photograph.

-Leland

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

I wasn't a fan of Honolulu. As Atlantadiscus said, it is just a city on the water. To me, if you are going to hawaii it isn't for that. Thankfully we were just there a day...

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Found some pics on my phone, here goes:

Hanauma Bay
    View from Diamond Head Crater
    Also, if you like to eat, take a food tour. There's a guy who does one in the Ala Moana area, some good stuff.
    Thanks for the pics! I love visiting scenic sights and it also looks like a good spot for a bit of snorkeling...Thanks again for all the info'

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Hi Joe;
    I think you have found the right balance of work and play and i am glad that you and your wife are both going together ,at this stage of our life it is important to bond through holidays like this , we went to HAWAII about 25 years ago when the kids were small on the way to Disney land ,we stayed in Waikiki and enjoyed the beach .
    Good luck.
    'We're here for a good time not a long time'. Our hotel is right on Waikii beach and will be spending lots of time to wind down after out hectic sight seeing full filled days
    Thanks Sayid

Quote Originally Posted by Lido View Post
    Manoa falls is a nice view. Waikiki beach is always nice, very touristy though. Waikiki Aquarium is near there if you're interested in things like that.
    You have to eat some moco locos and a musubi.
    My next door neighbor is from there. Let me ask him about it and I'll post tonight.
    Thank you. My wife and l always visit waterfalls wherever we travel, and will definitely look up Manoa Falls. Im interested in visitng te aqurium, as its only a short walk from our hotel, as is the local zoo. Moco locos and mussubi??? Never heard of it, but will give it a go...hope it goes well with the local beers

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    Dont forget Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona memorial,lots of history there to soak up.I was in Hawaii as a teenager,and hit up every local tropical fish store "the bus" would take me to.....brought alot of {small} aquarium stuff while I was there!That was exactly 40 years ago to this month,LOL. Waikiki beach is much more built up now,crowded with high rises everywhere,almost like NYC on the oceanfront.On the big island,we went to Hilo to see the volcanos and black sand beaches,interesting.
    Yes my wife is already on to me about visiting Pearl Harbour. Volcanoes is high up on my list of things to see, and planning to visit the National Park in Kona. I believe volcanos are still active and opportunities to see lava flow, which should be really cool! I'm sure lots has changed in 40 years, and i'll be sure to come back here after my trip with photos to share with you all. Thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by Leland F. View Post
    Ha! You're in for a big difference in reefs in Hawaii vs. reefs in Australia. The water is cooler there so mainly porites and pocillopora, and some montipora sp. of coral can be found. Lots of fish though. If you scuba dive, the drop off on the backside of molokini crater in Maui is awesome, as is snorkeling in the crater. Lahaina is nice on Maui too, there's an old whaling museum there. You can jump from island to island very easily. Planes go out every 1/2 hour. We stayed in Maui, but flew over to Oahu to see the Waikiki Aquatium. I heard the zoo in Honolulu is nice too, but we didn't make it there. Any rainforest hike is fun, once you get into the cooler altitudes, you can occasionally find some Jackson's chameleons, which are fun to watch and photograph.

-Leland
    That's very interesting about the differences in reefs and temperatures. I think l have been very spoilt snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef for so long. It will be very interesting for me to see and compare the differences. I also have my diving ticket, and will look for opportunities for one. You have me interested in a rain forest hike, it would be so cool to see some of the local wildlife, and one of the reasons l will visit the zoo. Lots of great info' here. Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    I wasn't a fan of Honolulu. As Atlantadiscus said, it is just a city on the water. To me, if you are going to hawaii it isn't for that. Thankfully we were just there a day...
    I hear what you're saying. I have always thought of Honolulu as the same as 'Surface Paradise' here in Queensland, but on steroids. The main reason l'm doing the trip is for the marlin fishing in Kona. I like to keep an open mind and have a look see. But most of my time will be spent sightseeing. Originally we were going to Fiji, but the more l looked at it l convinced myself that it was too laid back, and not really my kind of holiday.

Thanks everyone for the information so far....l have loads of research to do between now and June, and all this info' will save me loads of time

Aloha

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Check out the amazing and huge koi ponds at the Honolulu airport. The koi in there were 3 feet long. The pond snakes around a huge garden, quite something to see at an airport! We went on to Maui and Kauai, those were fantastic. The trip was 16 years ago. I bet those koi are still alive and doing great.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Check out the amazing and huge koi ponds at the Honolulu airport. The koi in there were 3 feet long. The pond snakes around a huge garden, quite something to see at an airport! We went on to Maui and Kauai, those were fantastic. The trip was 16 years ago. I bet those koi are still alive and doing great.
    Barb
    Thanks Barb. We have a few hours to kill at Honolulu Airport before our flight to Kona.....Guess where l'll be spending it

Registered Member

Speaking of Koi,that brought back a memory of my Hawaii trip to Ala Moana mall there, an outdoor shopping area that had tons of Koi9 ponds between the rows of stores,and at each pond was a "gumball" machine filled with koi pellets,put your quarter in and out came a handful of food pellets to feed the fish! The things that impressed me as a teen.

Registered Member

There's lots to see on the Big Island. I would recommend a trip to Mauna Kea. It's an active volcano and you'll see activity all around. There's an observatory but you must have the appropriate vehicle to both get up and down safely. I use an all wheel drive SUV and its lowest gear as to not burn through my brake pads on my way down. You'll be above the clouds and the view's remarkable.
    The Waipio Valley is an awesome place to spend the day. You can go there to hike or find your way onto the beach and just relax.
    I also enjoy going to Papakolea and its Green Sand Beach. It's a bit of a hike, but definitely worth the effort. From there, you can easily reach Ka Lae's South Point.
    During your stay, I also recommend a helicopter scenic tour. There's numerous companies to choose from. I would ask the hotel/resort that you're staying with to see if they have an arrangement with any of them. They're a bit pricey, but it takes you all over the island and offers views that you can't get anywhere else.
    Good luck with your trip and enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast