AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Metals in the Aquarium

Real Name
    Jason

Default Metals in the Aquarium

Some of the components and fittings I'm thinking of using have metal parts.

Should I use these or avoid them?

Brass
    Steel
    Stainless Steel

Thanks,
    Jas

Real Name
    Jörgen

Default Re: Metals in the Aquarium

Brass and stainless steel are fine in the freshwater aquarium. When you only write "steel" though it can cause a problem with rust. What kind of components are you considering that have regular steel in parts exposed to water?

Real Name
    Jason

I have a brass check valve that I was considering inside my sump as a non-return valve.
    I was also considering a brass or stainless 3 way valve. Probably will just go with PVC though, probably the ones to get are 40mm designed for pools, could use a step down.
    Some Variable Area Flow Meters have a stainless shaft.

But the steel is in a filter sock ring, which should sit above the waterline in the sump. Everything in the sum gets moisture though, particularly mine has lids.
    sockring[1][1].jpgthumbnail[1].jpgVA-SWINGCHBR32-500x500[1].jpg

Real Name
    Jason

I'll probably just cut a small hole in the seam of the filter sock, cut the steel ring and slide it out. Then slip something else in there, like a large cable tie or something. Might as well play it safe I guess.

Silver Member

Even if the steel doesn't come in contact with the water, it will still rust over time just being in a damp area.

Real Name
    Eric

Thats electroplated galvanized steel wire. It should be fine, especially above the water line. It is coated in zinc, which will not leach into the water.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by JBurgo View Post
    But the steel is in a filter sock ring, which should sit above the waterline in the sump. Everything in the sum gets moisture though, particularly mine has lids.
    I thought the sock rings were stainless steel as I've been getting them wet every day for 2 years and haven't seen any corrosion. As much water as I change, and the fact that the metal doesn't have much contact with the water, it doesn't worry me.

To make them free of any metal though, large zip-ties might slip through the sleeve and be rigid enough to replace the metal ring.

Check out the sump socks in this thread, described in post #9

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...quot-x-16-quot

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Thats electroplated galvanized steel wire. It should be fine, especially above the water line. It is coated in zinc, which will not leach into the water.
    My contact with the supplier Dudadiesel:

Me: What are the metal rings in the filter socks made out of? Do you have a plastic ring option?
    Dudadiesel: ... the filter bag itself ... it’s a welded piece of metal.
    Me: What metal are the rings in the filter socks made out of? Steel or Stainless Steel? Can you provide an option for a plastic ring instead of metal?
    Dudadiesel: That would be steel and no we don’t have an option for plastic.

Not much detail was provided. How did you find out it's electroplated galvanized steel wire Eric? Is this the standard for all these ring type filter socks?

Real Name
    Eric

I am in procurement for a living and spent about 10 years in the hardware industry buying fasteners (nuts, bolt, screws, etc). During this time I traveled all over Asia visiting factories and became very familiar with different types of steel and coatings to prevent corrosion, and how they are applied. I can tell that is galvanized steel from looking at it (color). Its the same material that guardrails and utility poles are made out of.

Real Name
    Eric

What would give me more concern than anything is the attitude of the supplier, not very reassuring! I probably wouldn't submerge galvanized steel in my tank, but I think I would be comfortable with this application. The top of my filter socks only get wet when I clean them

Real Name
    Jason

What would give me more concern than anything is the attitude of the supplier, not very reassuring! I probably wouldn't submerge galvanized steel in my tank, but I think I would be comfortable with this application. The top of my filter socks only get wet when I clean them
    I wouldn't say he wasn't friendly, but I left off small talk and banter, like: `Hello, hope you’re having a good day!` etc. and got to the crux in the quotes. But like you said: light on the actual information.
    But, I didn't state my intention or purpose either, I mean they deal with more than aquarists.

Like you say: they're out of the waterline, and other people are using them like this without problems.

Real Name
    Steve

I am in procurement for a living and spent about 10 years in the hardware industry buying fasteners (nuts, bolt, screws, etc). During this time I traveled all over Asia visiting factories and became very familiar with different types of steel and coatings to prevent corrosion, and how they are applied. I can tell that is galvanized steel from looking at it (color). Its the same material that guardrails and utility poles are made out of.
    Another great thing about this forum. The wealth of information members bring from different backgrounds!
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.