AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus food for Scalare Angels?

Registered Member

Question Discus food for Scalare Angels?

Hi,

I see so many tanks with Altum angel fish sharing the tank with discus.

So obviously their diets are the same. Beefheart mix is used so widely and is probably the staple for discus. So I would assume it works for Altums too. How about P. Scalare Angelfish? If you were to feed Scalares BHM, Discus Biogold & blackworms is it a great lifetime diet for the Scalares?

Thanks,
    adive

Real Name
    Tobi

Default Re: Discus food for Scalare Angels?

I feed my Altums almost exclusively on black worms and various frozen foods. Same as the discus. I stopped feeding beef heart a while ago, not worth the mess in my opinion

Real Name
    Willie

My altums get mysis and they're starting to eat flakes. They won't touch beef heart, although the P. scalare angels will tear it apart.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

My many Altums and two Black Scalare get exactly the same treatment as my Discus as they are in the same tanks as my Discus. All are doing well, so well in fact that the two Black Angels have unfortunately paired off and are constantly laying eggs on the filter uplift tube and aggressively protect them against anything that comes into their vicinity.

I feed a variety of foods; turkey hear mix, Tetra Bits, Fdtw, flake, etc. No problems. Sounds like your diet if fine.

Registered Member

Thanks for your responses.

There is always a scare that the non-discus fish may cause diseases to discus when put in the same tank. Do the non-discus fish need to go through some kind of disinfection/deworming etc phase before being added to the discus tank?

Willie and Stu, since you have scalares, how long have they been eating the heart mixes? Have they grown?

The reason I ask is that I got 3 scalare small angels, less than 1 inch main body diameter on Jan 1 and they grew absolutely great till last week when 2 of them got some stomach infection I think. There are no discus in that tank. The food has been the same all along, i.e. discus Biogold, Australian freeze dried blackworms and goat heart mix actually. Well I get fresh goat heart every 2-3 weeks, maybe that harmed them, I dont know.

I've always fed Scalares the same as all other fish but these have been eating all the standard foods for many months and are thriving to the point of laying eggs, know I'm repeating myself, but no issues.

I qt the same for all fish, no difference. IME I'd get my heart mix from a trusted source and mix up a batch to freeze that would last for many months, my last turkey heart mix has been good for about 2 years and I'm just mixing up a batch now. It takes about half a day to drain out the extra blood after trimming for fat, which may be a potential cause of constipation. It may be the goat heart but difficult for me to say. Are you doing normal water changes? Their very important for good digestion.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    I've always fed Scalares the same as all other fish but these have been eating all the standard foods for many months and are thriving to the point of laying eggs, know I'm repeating myself, but no issues.

I qt the same for all fish, no difference. IME I'd get my heart mix from a trusted source and mix up a batch to freeze that would last for many months, my last turkey heart mix has been good for about 2 years and I'm just mixing up a batch now. It takes about half a day to drain out the extra blood after trimming for fat, which may be a potential cause of constipation. It may be the goat heart but difficult for me to say. Are you doing normal water changes? Their very important for good digestion.
    Thanks for your response, STU. Yes the water changes are regular, big ones (not as much as a discus tank would get). I have one scalare thats more than a year with me and grown on the same food, has grown fairly big and still going strong, never any disease. Maybe its the genes.