AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue pigeon grow outs

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: Blue pigeon grow outs

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Great size, great shape, great color development - great job! Keeping discus can be so simple. Change a lot of water every day and keep them in a bare bottom tank!

Willie
    Thanks Willie! Something satisfying about being able to get at all that waste in the bb tank. Also I usually just give the sponges a squeeze while the tanks draining - can't get much easier than that for filter maintenance!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    They have turned out very good Eric. You have done a great job raising them. Its very satisfying when you start with very small discus and grow them out like you have. I hear what you're saying about cutting back on their diet, but if i were you, keep up with the beef heart. going to freeze dried black worms is a good move as well in my opinion. If i were you, i would feed the beef heart 30 minutes or so before your daily water change, and the FDBW in the evening.
    Lots of work, but very satisfying. Looking forward to further updates
    Hey thanks a lot. I've been following your grow out thread as well - very inspirational!

I actually do wc's in the evenings shortly after the BH feeding so they can be in clean water all night. I then feed the fdbw in the AM as it seems to be the least messy, followed by discus chow in the afternoons. That's why I was thinking my only option was to cut out the discus chow in afternoons - although they do go crazy for it.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by modealings View Post
    Hey thanks a lot. I've been following your grow out thread as well - very inspirational!

I actually do wc's in the evenings shortly after the BH feeding so they can be in clean water all night. I then feed the fdbw in the AM as it seems to be the least messy, followed by discus chow in the afternoons. That's why I was thinking my only option was to cut out the discus chow in afternoons - although they do go crazy for it.
    Thanks for the compliment.
    Whatever you are doing is working very well. Keep it up
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Well a couple of bumps along the way recently. Two of the twelve have lost their appetite and occasionally flashing for the past week or two. I've checked and cleaned the aging barrels for any bacteria build up but they appear pretty clean. My initial suspicion is for gill flukes. I treated all my tanks a few months ago when I noticed similar problems in one from this group and in a pair I have. After a 14 day course of praziquantel, the pair laid eggs and everyone seemed to be happier. Now the same symptoms seem to be popping up. Seems like a 14 day course may not have been enough.

IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hi Eric. Just a small set back, but your group is looking great. Keep up the good work you are doing. What changes did you end up doing to their diet?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Hi Eric. Just a small set back, but your group is looking great. Keep up the good work you are doing. What changes did you end up doing to their diet?
    Thanks Joe. Haha actually no big changes - couldnt bring myself to cut down to 2 meals when they are still showing growth month-to-month. Right now it's still FDBW in AM, discus chow or BH mix in afternoon, and BH mix in evenings.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by modealings View Post
    Thanks Joe. Haha actually no big changes - couldnt bring myself to cut down to 2 meals when they are still showing growth month-to-month. Right now it's still FDBW in AM, discus chow or BH mix in afternoon, and BH mix in evenings.
    I hear you about reducing their diet. They sure are growing out nicely, and you'll know when its the right time to cut back.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

(Almost) 9 month update.

Things have been pretty uneventful. Eating & water changes. They all seem healthy except maybe 1 that hangs back. My guess is the largest are at 5.5in. WC's are averaging about 50% daily now. I cut back a bit after I noticed fish were more energetic after a 50% compared to 90%. May temperature shock? Water is aged and usually within 5 degrees of the tank.

Feeds continue to be BH mix 2 times daily and Al's FDBW once daily. Video shows their preferred meal... (again, apologies for the scrolling from LED's).

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Real Name
    Phil

Really nice. You are doing a great job

Real Name
    Filip

Great looking pigeons Eric.
    I wonder if your discus loose appetite during the Prazi treatment ?
    I was never able to administer it more than a couple of days because of their partial or complete loss of appetite during the treat . Once I change new untreated water they eat well again .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Great looking pigeons Eric.
    I wonder if your discus loose appetite during the Prazi treatment ?
    I was never able to administer it more than a couple of days because of their partial or complete loss of appetite during the treat . Once I change new untreated water they eat well again .
    Yea I did notice a decrease in appetite after 10 days or so of treatment awhile ago. I had to cut the treatment short as well. Fortunately haven't needed to retreat in the past 2 months and everything seems okay.

Registered Member

Great post, I think most go trough similar issues with their grow-outs

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Wow man, those fish are gorgeous. Nice job

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Thanks all. The grow out process has had its trials and tribulations so I'm happy to report no excitement in the past 2 months. Been really enjoyable to watch them grow. Now to beef them up...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast