AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue pigeon grow outs

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abi

Default Re: Blue pigeon grow outs

This is truly inspiring and motivating to me. I have started a tank with juvi's and looking forward for their growth ... have done it with African's in the past and looking forward for my discus to grow ... hoping it would be as incredible as yours!

I have a questions for you ... during their growth, when did you start noticing them rounding with proper eye-to-body ratio? I am just curious to know that and would like to set some milestones and track it!

Real Name
    Amy

Nice job! I have three Pigeons I grew out in a planted tank and after seeing yours I'm wondering if mine are Blue Pigeons. Is it only the blue in the halos that determine this? IMG_7532.jpg

Here's one.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by abijitr View Post
    This is truly inspiring and motivating to me. I have started a tank with juvi's and looking forward for their growth ... have done it with African's in the past and looking forward for my discus to grow ... hoping it would be as incredible as yours!

I have a questions for you ... during their growth, when did you start noticing them rounding with proper eye-to-body ratio? I am just curious to know that and would like to set some milestones and track it!
    Hi Abi - I wish I had kept a more detailed record of these guys from the start. I can't say exactly. Their growth did seem to be the most noticeable between 1 and 5 months. I was keeping them in a smaller (20-29 gallon) tank, feeding beefheart 2-3x/daily, and doing 100% daily wc's - their growth really took off then.

I think this forum has a few growth charts showing expected milestones over the course of the year. Or you could ask someone more experienced than myself. Good idea to keep a better log than I did so you can look back in a few months!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by AquaWoman View Post
    Nice job! I have three Pigeons I grew out in a planted tank and after seeing yours I'm wondering if mine are Blue Pigeons. Is it only the blue in the halos that determine this? IMG_7532.jpg

Here's one.
    Hi - they certainly do look similar. I'm not an expert on discus genetics so I cant tell you if there is another way to determine this. I just bought these as blue pigeons and they do seem to have the same blue-ish halo.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaWoman View Post

Here's one.
    Not sure what makes them blue pigeons. It's a specific trait that hans breeds to set them apart. Think it's more white based with striations. My red checkerboard shows a lot of blue in the fins also so don't think it's that
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abi

Quote Originally Posted by modealings View Post
    Hi Abi - I wish I had kept a more detailed record of these guys from the start. I can't say exactly. Their growth did seem to be the most noticeable between 1 and 5 months. I was keeping them in a smaller (20-29 gallon) tank, feeding beefheart 2-3x/daily, and doing 100% daily wc's - their growth really took off then.

I think this forum has a few growth charts showing expected milestones over the course of the year. Or you could ask someone more experienced than myself. Good idea to keep a better log than I did so you can look back in a few months!
    Thanks!

Real Name
    Filip

@ Abi . The best way to keep track of their milestones is to measure them nose to tail every month and comparing the records with the chart of their usual growth .
    Most optimistic growth rate would be an inch a month until they reach 5" mark in 5 months , and after that age the growth should slow down a bit .

@ Aquawoman. Pigeon blood striations and colours differs greatly between one PB and Other . So yours can be blue PB and yet look quite different from the ones from modealings photos.

@Ryan . I think that Hans is only an importer of German Stenker discus fish and this Blue PB is a name of this particular Stendker PB strain.
    I wonder too if the blue halo was the main distinguishing feature that made Stendker separate them from his others PB strains .

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    @ Abi . The best way to keep track of their milestones is to measure them nose to tail every month and comparing the records with the chart of their usual growth .
    Most optimistic growth rate would be an inch a month until they reach 5" mark in 5 months , and after that age the growth should slow down a bit .

@ Aquawoman. Pigeon blood striations and colours differs greatly between one PB and Other . So yours can be blue PB and yet look quite different from the ones from modealings photos.

@Ryan . I think that Hans is only an importer of German Stenker discus fish and this Blue PB is a name of this particular Stendker PB strain.
    I wonder too if the blue halo was the main distinguishing feature that made Stendker separate them from his others PB strains .
    You are right Filip Stendker would obviously be the one to create an name the strains
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Amy

Interesting! Thanks for the info. When I bought these I was told they were from Hans so maybe they are after all. They certainly are a hardy strain.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abi

Thanks Filip! That's a good idea, it's tough to pull them out though and I take so much time that they get stressed out.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Here is another video. I've been trying to get rid of those scrolling bars to get a bit more detail.

Real Name
    Sean

Idk if it's just me but don't the gill plates look really short and the dorsal fins look strange on a few of those? Other than that which is out of your control you did a great job growing them out.

Real Name
    Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Great looking pigeons Eric.
    I wonder if your discus loose appetite during the Prazi treatment ?
    I was never able to administer it more than a couple of days because of their partial or complete loss of appetite during the treat . Once I change new untreated water they eat well again .
    I noticed the same with mine as well. They loose all interest in food and only peck at food but after a water change they eat normally in a few hours.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ssevasta View Post
    Idk if it's just me but don't the gill plates look really short and the dorsal fins look strange on a few of those? Other than that which is out of your control you did a great job growing them out.
    Agreed. Of the 10, there are probably only 4 or so without obvious deformity that I can see. There is one runt that should have been culled many months ago. Then there are another 4-5 with flared gills on at least one side. But the goal was a grow out for my own education. In the end though I'll probably only be keeping a few.

Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by modealings View Post
    Agreed. Of the 10, there are probably only 4 or so without obvious deformity that I can see. There is one runt that should have been culled many months ago. Then there are another 4-5 with flared gills on at least one side. But the goal was a grow out for my own education. In the end though I'll probably only be keeping a few.
    Well you definitely obtained your goal and it's quite the accomplishment. I would love to see what you can do with some high grade fish to start with. Maybe next time buy them at 3 inches to ensure that they're all perfect. Chicago Discus has had some awesome sales lately.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast